New from Sydney

SydBJW

Soaps, You Don't Buy Just Williams
Da Menth Heads
Hi All

I am a relatively new wet shaver (about 3-4 months). I have discovered this forum whilst looking for information and thought it would be a fun place to join.

I am still trying to perfect all my techniques but I will never go back to cartridge razors.

I have a small amount of equipment but I imagine that that will grow in time :)

I use the Merkur 34C (only razor I own)
Still working my way through a blades starter kit
I have an Omega Boar brush that I brought at the markets for about $10, a body soap brush and have a whipped dog badger brush on order.
For soaps I am using Shaver Heaven Hubba Hubba (great smell) and a tube of Proraso Green (perform great).

Look forward to hearing from all of you

Brendan

Hello and welcome Brendan. You've got yourself well kitted out there. No need to look for anything else. Don't read any of the posts from the tragic acquisition disorder sads that hang out here.

Hello and welcome Brendan. You've got yourself well kitted out there. No need to look for anything else. Don't read any of the posts from the tragic acquisition disorder sads that hang out here.

Including herself.

Not tried the Merkur, but an Omega boar brush is my main brush, and I like Proraso a lot.

Only tried one of @Anthony's croaps so far, but it performed well. If you like the scent of the Hubba Bubba then I reckon you have got a decent set up.
You might just need to find an aftershave splash or balm for that post shave skin conditioning.

Welcome Brendan nice to see another Sydneysider on the board. You are off to a good start with the Proraso Green, but you need to acquire a stick of ARKO!!!! (Do not read any of the rubbish that will now be written by the Heathens and charlatans that will rant and rave about the finest lather shaving soap in the history of wet shaving. :)

Arko is great, get some (in response to the above comment)

Welcome mate BUT ...

Don't listen to these sad sacks - you need MUCH, MUCH MORE!!!!

Get out now. Save yourself. Here is a kitten meme...

fbcdn_sphotos_e_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_ash3_557692_402666529804866_1056882746_n.jpg

Welcome Brendan!

I totally agree: you don't need any other stuff, until you are really happy with your technique...you could try some new soaps though. And different types of brushes? Also usually the blades in the sampler pack are not all great - so you might need some of those too? How about pre and post-shave products? And while we are at it, you should maybe get a stainless steel razor, just in case your Merkur dies on you?

OK: so I don't agree! You need more :) :) :)

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I think that this could end up an expensive past time :)

I am keen to try more soaps, problem is the ones I have got will last a while but I don't think that will stop me from buying many more.

I have not tried any pre shave products, is there any that you recommend ?

I did buy a block of Alum in an Indian Supermarket for $2 and use that most post shaves.

I have never been much of an aftershave person but maybe I should try some of that as well, I only really have imperial leather after shave and calvin klein euphoria for men.

I have been mixing bowl lathering and face lathering and enjoy both although my bowl lathering technique is more consistent at the moment, I never seem to get as thick as lather when I face lather.

I will have to think about different razors.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I think that this could end up an expensive past time :)

I am keen to try more soaps, problem is the ones I have got will last a while but I don't think that will stop me from buying many more.

I have not tried any pre shave products, is there any that you recommend ?

I did buy a block of Alum in an Indian Supermarket for $2 and use that most post shaves.

I have never been much of an aftershave person but maybe I should try some of that as well, I only really have imperial leather after shave and calvin klein euphoria for men.

I have been mixing bowl lathering and face lathering and enjoy both although my bowl lathering technique is more consistent at the moment, I never seem to get as thick as lather when I face lather.

I will have to think about different razors.

Good
No.
Can't argue with $2.
Those aren't aftershaves, they're man perfume. Big difference.
Use more product.
Why on earth do that? It's madness.

Welcome.
Embrace the insanity, it's easier than denial :)
Where in the this countries best city do you reside roughly ?

Hello fellow Sydney-sider. Welcome. The more there are of us the cheaper it is to trade, sell and buy without AusPost. [emoji14] If you're after a post-shave product and you enjoy the Proraso Green, one of the guys here (@stillshunter) is selling his Proraso Green splash.[emoji106]

Borked, I live in Sydney's South West roughly around the Liverpool/Fairfield region.

if your looking for some nice vintage razors, i know someone who has a few to clear! ;) you can never have too many!
Just replied in that thread btw.

Drubbing

I took your advice with this morning shave and used more product with my shave this morning. I used the omega boar brush and the Shaver Heaven Hubba Hubba (I really like that smell). I can see myself ordering many different soaps in the future their appears to be so many great scents to try.

Got a great face lather and a good 3 pass shave. The Omega boar for me works a lot better on the face than the Body Shop brush.

Next week my Whipped Dog Silvertip Bush should hopefully arrive and I can give a badger brush ago.