New lawnmower

Back in the days when I was still working as a blacksmith, a customer who sort of dragged me into a big project in Fremantle that he was driving (This one) had a similar postage-stamp lawn. His solution: get me to make him a scythe, including a snath (handle) to fit him. Interesting project, as I had never made one before, but he reckoned it was quicker than using a whipper-snipper from the tool hire shop.
My cousin, Master Shipwright Bill Leonard, worked on the Duyfken, HMB Endeavour and the vessel in the movie “Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.”

Isn't it a small world? IIRC Bill did quite a bit more than merely "working on" that project...
He MOST certainly did! He served his apprenticeship at Ailsa Shipyard on the Clyde in Scotland. I cannot recall his wife’s forename but do remember she’s a GP. His name appears in the Credits at the end of “Master and Commander”.

Gargravarr

Our resident snake charmer
He MOST certainly did! He served his apprenticeship at Ailsa Shipyard on the Clyde in Scotland. I cannot recall his wife’s forename but do remember she’s a GP. His name appears in the Credits at the end of “Master and Commander”.
I only met him a couple of times. I was mostly dealing with a maritime archaeologist attached to the project, whose name seems to have been written out of their official history for some reason. It all made a lot of work for me. Hard physical work in front of a forge burning at 1500º under a tin roof on a 40º day for 12 hours a day was not much fun, and in the end I was happy to leave the remainder of the blacksmithing to someone else.

Holiday

from Lanolin
Grand Society
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I only met him a couple of times. I was mostly dealing with a maritime archaeologist attached to the project, whose name seems to have been written out of their official history for some reason. It all made a lot of work for me. Hard physical work in front of a forge burning at 1500º under a tin roof on a 40º day for 12 hours a day was not much fun, and in the end I was happy to leave the remainder of the blacksmithing to someone else.
Hi @Gargravarr as a blacksmith have you made any of your own straight razors? I bet you don't mind being in front of the forge during Tasmanian winters

Gargravarr

Our resident snake charmer
Hi @Gargravarr as a blacksmith have you made any of your own straight razors? I bet you don't mind being in front of the forge during Tasmanian winters
I haven't worked as a blacksmith for about 20 years, though I still have all my tools. I went back to Uni, studying biotech, and fell into cheesemaking. I've thought any number of times about making a str8, but as a head shaver, and especially one who has long been in the habit of shaving mostly by touch (even when I do have a mirror), I have sort of come to the conclusion that might be a project for another life.

I have, of course, seen YouTube clips of people shaving their heads with straights, but none of them have inspired much confidence.

That aside, the actual making of straight razors would be fairly simple, particularly because one wouldn't have to worry too much about temper; you can pick a decent quality basic tool steel say .75% to .8% carbon, fuller it into shape (much better than grinding) and give it the most minimal light straw tempering so it can be ground and honed without chipping.