New Old bloke from Sydney

Andrew C

G’day and thanks.
New to the whole thing but enjoying it so far.
Got tired of the waste and cost of cartridges a few months ago and grabbed a shavette from that shop dotted across every other shopping mall.
Got to the stage where I could outline my beard and clean up my neck and throat without cutting myself.
Then I grabbed a Feather AC clone. Better, easier but still buying blades and I figured what the heck? Why not go all in and just get a straight razor.
The upfront cost here in Oz is a pretty little scam they’ve got going amongst a few online mobs that might appeal to the man bun barista set with a lot more $$$ than I make as a teacher.
So I hunted through a tonne of FB group posts, YouTube videos etc.
Eventually ordered a Gold Dollar 208 from Frank MISA over in the US and it should arrive shortly.
I hope to learn and aren’t in any particular hurry. Not sure if I’ll dive down the honing rabbit hole. I already spend a lot of hours and way too much $$$ on sharpening gear for woodworking and I know how expensive good stones are. The thought of buying a whole bunch more is a little off putting.
I’m hoping there’s a few people here with limited funds that can share how to do this at a sensible cost and that I haven’t somehow wandered into a den of crazy collectors with unlimited funds.
Thanks.

G'day and welcome @Andrew C,

1. Nothing wrong with a Gold Dollar that has been properly honed. I suggest sending it to a honemeister before attempting to use it. Once properly honed and with proper stropping it should last for several months before the edge needs to be refreshed. Lapping film would be my suggestion to refresh the edge on a budget.
2. Purchase an inexpensive 75mm wide strop. You're going to cut it up and ruin it (everybody does). It will need to be replaced.
3. Don't be afraid to ask for advice or opinions as we have quite a few SR shavers and lots of opinions. 😁

Welcome @Andrew C to the gentlemanly art of traditional SR shaving.

I am your man for SR shaving on a very limited budget. First your should read the SR shaving instructions:

For an economical honing setup, you can't go past lapping films. Instructions can be found here:

Just about all store-bought traditional straight razors do not come shave-ready, no matter what the vendor says. If you wish, I will hone your Gold Dollar 208 to shave-ready for free. You just pay the postage both ways to Mareeba, Queensland.

For an economical strop, I recommend the one by Titan for about AUD18 including shipping on AliExpress (don't buy their stropping paste). It is listed here:

For an alternative to buying a strop, you can use folded newspaper (see the SR shaving instructions).

G'day and welcome @Andrew C,

1. Nothing wrong with a Gold Dollar that has been properly honed. I suggest sending it to a honemeister before attempting to use it. Once properly honed and with proper stropping it should last for several months before the edge needs to be refreshed. Lapping film would be my suggestion to refresh the edge on a budget.
2. Purchase an inexpensive 75mm wide strop. You're going to cut it up and ruin it (everybody does). It will need to be replaced.
3. Don't be afraid to ask for advice or opinions as we have quite a few SR shavers and lots of opinions. 😁
I watched a YouTube video (The Handlebar Barber I think 🤔) where he recommended starting with a strip off an old pair of jeans?

Welcome @Andrew C to the gentlemanly art of traditional SR shaving.

I am your man for SR shaving on a very limited budget. First your should read the SR shaving instructions:

For an economical honing setup, you can't go past lapping films. Instructions can be found here:

Just about all store-bought traditional straight razors do not come shave-ready, no matter what the vendor says. If you wish, I will hone your Gold Dollar 208 to shave-ready for free. You just pay the postage both ways to Mareeba, Queensland.

For an economical strop, I recommend the one by Titan for about AUD18 including shipping on AliExpress (don't buy their stropping paste). It is listed here:

For an alternative to buying a strop, you can use folded newspaper (see the SR shaving instructions).
Wow! Thank you very much. I’ll read all this and be in touch 🙏

Wow! Thank you very much. I’ll read all this and be in touch 🙏
Once you are getting consistently good results from lapping films, you can move up to the ultimate keen edge by using diamond pasted balsa strops. Details can be found here:

You should understand that SR shaving is very dangerous. Proof of this is in the average life expectancy over the past couple of hundred years. In the 1800s when most men SR shaved, the average life expectancy was about 40 to 50 years. In the 1900s as "safety" razors came in vogue, the life expectancy increased to where it is now about 70 to 85 years. That tells it all!

Once you are getting consistently good results from lapping films, you can move up to the ultimate keen edge by using diamond pasted balsa strops. Details can be found here:

You should understand that SR shaving is very dangerous. Proof of this is in the average life expectancy over the past couple of hundred years. In the 1800s when most men SR shaved, the average life expectancy was about 40 to 50 years. In the 1900s as "safety" razors came in vogue, the life expectancy increased to where it is now about 70 to 85 years. That tells it all!
Yes.
But big percent of deaths were before they even start shaving😂

Aah, Another Andrew C straight razor shaver from Sydney.

Welcome!

Straights on a budget are definitely achievable. But as you have found out, the stuff on Flea-bay is stupidly expensive, and also antique shops, although I have found some good bargains. The French e-bay site is good, don't know what your French is like, but type in ancien Rasoir coupe choux and there will be 100's of them from a few euros to expensive.

The trick with all straights, old and new, is to get them with good, straight geometry. Learning how to correct a bent razor is a skill that I have yet to master. Even brand new Dovos can suffer from bad geometry.

You can get new shave ready razors, but you have to know where from. Jarrod from Superior Shave in Florida is pretty good - he hones the Dovos and Theiss and they extremely shaveable. I have bought Gold Dollars from Kym Mathias in the UK and his a pretty good also. They tend to be fairly straight and a good practice for honing.

Oh and don't listen to a word Rbscebu says. He will have you maintaining your razors on Pasted balsa strops and getting wickedly sharp edges that shave very well.

cheers
Andrew

And that's why men stopped shaving with sharpened rocks as back then the life expectancy was only 25. But then, they also had to contend with Sabretooth tigers.

G’day and thanks.
New to the whole thing but enjoying it so far.
Got tired of the waste and cost of cartridges a few months ago and grabbed a shavette from that shop dotted across every other shopping mall.
Got to the stage where I could outline my beard and clean up my neck and throat without cutting myself.
Then I grabbed a Feather AC clone. Better, easier but still buying blades and I figured what the heck? Why not go all in and just get a straight razor.
The upfront cost here in Oz is a pretty little scam they’ve got going amongst a few online mobs that might appeal to the man bun barista set with a lot more $$$ than I make as a teacher.
So I hunted through a tonne of FB group posts, YouTube videos etc.
Eventually ordered a Gold Dollar 208 from Frank MISA over in the US and it should arrive shortly.
I hope to learn and aren’t in any particular hurry. Not sure if I’ll dive down the honing rabbit hole. I already spend a lot of hours and way too much $$$ on sharpening gear for woodworking and I know how expensive good stones are. The thought of buying a whole bunch more is a little off putting.
I’m hoping there’s a few people here with limited funds that can share how to do this at a sensible cost and that I haven’t somehow wandered into a den of crazy collectors with unlimited funds.
Thanks.
Welcome @Andrew C

Just keep an eye on the market thread on this forum as there are always stuff on sale by the members.

Also, before you buy anything from a business, just ask on here. There might be a member with whatever you are after willing to sell, or loan you one so you can try before you buy.