New Single Edge Razor on Kickstarter

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Wow. They need $100k to get it off the ground... Hmmm. A bit of a hurdle to reach that I might think. Thoughts?

Beluga? It should be called the Mullet!

Overall its a very good advertisement for SAFETY razors - not their grotesquely overpriced novelty. I cannot believe they used such a big section of the page to hype that they had a magnet in the handle to pick up those naughty loose razor blades we all have lying around.

I almost fell of my chair laughing at their 'comparison table' - thats a big bloody cross against all the other rivals as they don't have a MAGNET or a 25yr warranty! Bloody hell, how have we been on P&C this long and no-one has realised this massive achilles heel!

Love how in the cost comparison chart they've seemingly neglected the $95 it costs to buy one of their paperweights.

I'm no expert SE user but looking at the underside of that thing I cannot imagine it's going to be very easy to do your top lip or anywhere tight as the cutting edge is on the same level as the 10-15mm of metal above it and I'd imagine thats going to make it hard to maneuver.

Just a ghastly price point - really thats one of those ones where even if it works GREAT you've got to go away and figure another way to manufacture it as the cost is just way too high.

Last edited:
Both Mark and myself have a razor with magnets, and it improves the razor immeasurably.

I think the only possible way you could improve a razor further is

For those of you poor people WITHOUT a magnet on your razor you need to head here and get yourself a rare earth magnet to make up for it.

Really - what are the odds of this thing getting off the ground? It could get niche support but it looks like a gimmick to me ...

Yep, what got me started, and sustains, in wet shaving is the significant savings. Think they might have 'externalised' some other costs much?

5a3de512cd45f31ba7c3954e113ee112_large.png

Hmmmm…let me think there's the other 14 razors you need for a decent monthly rotation, the creams, brushes, soaps, brushes, vintage blade, brushes, lotions, brushes, balms, brushes, etc.

I think the scariest thing about this is that to get full use out of a blade, you would have to pick it up out of the razor and turn it around.
As the safest way of doing this is obviously with a magnet, you poor people without Eclipse red rings would have to buy another beluga.

They named it well, after the beluga whale. Though it got crossed with a George Foreman grill in the breeding process ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413939522.079681.jpg

Ugh, that's an expensive razor & brush set. 190 quid!

And 20 quid for postage...

That was my first thought; exy. All for a non-adjustable bronze Futur and synthetic brush in bronze.

It's also made to be "not aggressive" so not sure what it shaves like...

My god I cannot believe that Beluga monstrosity got the $100k they claimed they needed, GT and his SE pals have propped this donkey up! Musta been the magnets eh?

Hmmmmm well the Hone one does look a tad too androgynous for me - it's clearly been inspired by the Merkur Futur. Perhaps with a patina it'd look a tad sexier (you'd think seeing as they sold this as a point they'd have weathered one in advance - or perhaps they did and it looked like a shitty unkept razor!)

That handle would be slippery as can be and it's a weighty thing and being made of nice soft brass first drop will ding the shyte out of it.

But like The Boss said, 195 pounds and it's a synthetic brush you get too. Nothing against them but who knows what grade of synth he's used and thats stupid money for a completely untested lump of brass.

But he only needs 20k and so if the bloody Beluga can get there why not this future garage sale tat!

Talking of synth brushes, @Pjotr Ian Tang (Frank Shaving brushes) is selling pur tech synthetic knots on ebay.

While we are on the subject, has anyone got a FS badger brush that they compare to something like a TGN? The FS is the only badger I have used, and am wondering if it would be considered pretty floppy.

My god I cannot believe that Beluga monstrosity got the $100k they claimed they needed, GT and his SE pals have propped this donkey up! Musta been the magnets eh?

Magnets.jpg

Hmmmmm well the Hone one does look a tad too androgynous for me - it's clearly been inspired by the Merkur Futur. Perhaps with a patina it'd look a tad sexier (you'd think seeing as they sold this as a point they'd have weathered one in advance - or perhaps they did and it looked like a shitty unkept razor!)

patina.jpg

That handle would be slippery as can be and it's a weighty thing and being made of nice soft brass first drop will ding the shyte out of it.

But like The Boss said, 195 pounds and it's a synthetic brush you get too. Nothing against them but who knows what grade of synth he's used and thats stupid money for a completely untested lump of brass.

But he only needs 20k and so if the bloody Beluga can get there why not this future garage sale tat!

I think the razor itself looks good on the design. The thing has a satin finish, not sure how slippery it would be. Agree completely with the brass - I would de-knot the brush & send the whole lot for Rhodium Plating before throwing a 'Pisser' TGN knot in it.

But it is just too expensive - buy the Futur set instead.

[speechless]