New to all this

Discussion started by iamacup, Jan 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. iamacup

iamacup Member

@Ferret619 I can’t make it out on Saturday, too short notice to squeeze it in.
    I guessed the two styles of shaving, DE and Straight, would be different enough skills to jump right into straight and see how it goes, I do want to learn DE too, but straights have something about them.
    So far I’ve ordered a cheap Chinese “horse” hair brush, 4x veg tanned roo tails (300x50) to make strops, and a Dr Brenner soap to try. Less than $30 all up. A razor for $70- $120 and my $100- $150 starting budget will be realistic. I imagine the brush will last a month, and the tails will need some work to make strops, but it’s a start.

2. Ferret619

Ferret619 Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs 2018 Sabbatical

Nice work, what’s the source for the roo tails as I could do with some new pasted strops

3. Dale.Whiley

Dale.Whiley Active Member 2017 Sabbatical

Welcome @iamacup . Yes, straights will save wastage and so theoretically your funds also, however joining this forum has totally the opposite effect. leading to various obsessions and buying disorders. BE WARNED!!!

thisISjoel likes this.
  4. iamacup

iamacup Member

Okay,
    I’ve got brushes in the post, leather for a “my first strop” strop, some nice peppermint shave soap, and thanks to @Substance I have a razor on it’s way to me. I’ve watched plenty of videos and I feel up to that first shave.

What is the one bit of advice that you would give me, or put another way, what do know now that you wish you knew before your first shave?

Cheers,

Cup

5. Ferret619

Ferret619 Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs 2018 Sabbatical

Be mindful of pressure,

58FB and iamacup like this.
  6. 58FB

58FB Member

Eh @iamacup if you need a freebie to start you off I got a Gillette Tech you can have to start on if it helps I don't need it
    [​IMG]