Newbie in Syd seeking hardware advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuzKat

Hi all. Am new to DE shaving and about to start my journey after 30 years of cartridge shaving. Need some advice from all you experienced pro's ..... Am looking to purchase my first DE razor. Not to sound arrogant, but am of the belief that if purchasing something buy the best you can within your budget. Given I am not budget conscious, I was looking at the "better" razors out there in the belief that I will use it constantly and will just have to get used to it (no starter kit for me and the upgrading later). I am not intending to become a collector of razors either. Dilemma is what razor? Was considering a Merkur vision 2000 or Feather AS-D2 ... Both at the top end for a newbie I think, but I figured what the hell! If I'm going to shave I may as well use the 'best' there is.

Like I said, I'm not being arrogant but can I please have some feedback whether this is a wise decision or am I being plain stupid? I know I've still got a long way to go and plenty to learn. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Welcome aboard mate!

The dilemma you face (pardon the pun) is determining just what IS best for YOU.

There simply is no 'best' razor (and I'll avoid rabbiting on here about it actually being the razor/blade combo).

It may be that your face and beard work best with a 'mild razor' - which includes regular starters like the Edwin Jagger/ Muhle 89 and for many people the Feather AS-D2.

Other people swear by the Feather AS-D2 with the sharp Feather blade as the best shave ever (great deal on this combo here - http://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/fs-feather-as-d2-100x-feather-blades.2159/)

Still other people like a more 'aggressive' razor or different types of blades. So a little experimenting with starter kits actually makes a bit of sense until you work out your preferences - after you have the basics sorted of course.

Of course if your REALLY want to be a one razor guy and budget is not a problem - get this: ABOVE THE TIE STAINLESS STEEL 7 PIECE SET. Effectively a range of razors!

Hi mate welcome to the forum! I'm very much in the same boat when it comes to just diving straight in rather than constantly upgrading. That being said there are some great starter kits out there.

An excellent razor is the Merkur 34C Heavy Duty. There is a reason you see everyone recommending it as it's great for beginners & pros alike.

I'd go for a Badger brush simply because it gives you that 'premium' experience. Yes you can make do with a boar or synthetic but you won't need to upgrade from a decent badger.

Oh also see if you can get a sample pack of different blades. It's a great way to see what feels right for you.

Get ready to have a heck of a lot of fun trying out all the various different soaps & creams.

Hi MuzKat and welcome to Paste & Cut.

My advice would be to purchase a DE that is easy to use so that you can learn the craft. Then move on to more desirable razors once you have mastered it. Look at a Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89. Both are very intuitive (easy to find the right angle) and nicely balanced in both the handling and the mild/aggression factor.

Send me a PM once you have purchased your razor and I will send you a sample pack of blades courtesy of some of our members.

As a huge fan of the Feather I'd suggest trying a Gillette fat-handle Tech. If that works for you then you are going to absolutely love the AS-D2. Buy it without reserve and know heaven is place.

Let it be known that @stillshunter's version of Nirvana is ever changing, and changes about 5 minutes after he says he got there.
Or in @Pjotr's words, it's different strokes for different folks, so the feather r2-d2 may or may not be your heaven.

Hi all. Am new to DE shaving and about to start my journey after 30 years of cartridge shaving. Need some advice from all you experienced pro's ..... Am looking to purchase my first DE razor. Not to sound arrogant, but am of the belief that if purchasing something buy the best you can within your budget. Given I am not budget conscious, I was looking at the "better" razors out there in the belief that I will use it constantly and will just have to get used to it (no starter kit for me and the upgrading later). I am not intending to become a collector of razors either.

First off, discard the idea that $$ = better in this particular lark. It doesn't. It just means one thing costs more than another. Just like many very cheap soaps will shit over some artisan soaps with their bo-ho cool flavours and hip connotations. Most expensive razors are blinged up pieces of over engineered unobtanium that don't do squat to provide a better shave. But they do get some blokes pants a bit stiff for some reason. A DE is all about you. It's like driving a manual sports car after years of underpowered camry automatics. When you know what you're doing, some will offer a better ride than others.

Nothing wrong with a Merkur 23c/34c or Jagger or muhle. All decent, all big sellers, all very affordable. The real truth is, unlike the expensive marketing bullshit of carts - there is actual difference in feel and performance with many DE razors, and all experiences are subjective. What one bloke swears by, another will swear at.

Start with something recommended and affordable and get to know how to use it. So long as you stick with a blade that feels ok, and don't keep changing stuff every week, it won't take long.

... A DE is all about you. It's like driving a manual sports car after years of underpowered camry automatics. When you know what you're doing, some will offer a better ride than others ...

Great metaphor for taking up DE!

I presume the straight enthusiasts will add in another sentence about hoping on a high powered bike ;)

.........I am not budget conscious.........

Hello and welcome MuzKat. That statement will ensure that all the enablers here will swarm like a pack of rats. I tried loads of DEs, vintage mind you so I know zilch about current production ones, and accidentally ended up with a bakelite three piece razor I got as "bycatch" from another purchase. I tried it out for a laugh, thinking I'd either just chuck it or give it to some poor newbie schmuck. It's now the only DE I use and effectively cost me nothing. As intimated in the above posts, the actual price of a DE is probably the last factor you need to consider.

Welcome @MuzKat. I hope you enjoy your time here. As others have stated their are many various razors out there, it is a matter of finding what you like best and what best works for you. Could be cheap, could be expensive.

I got some great advice when I first started was to use the one razor for a month solid when you are first starting out to try and get your technique right, it is still great advice.

It may be that your face and beard work best with a 'mild razor' - which includes regular starters like the Edwin Jagger/ Muhle 89 ....

An excellent razor is the Merkur 34C Heavy Duty.

Look at a Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89.

Nothing wrong with a Merkur 23c/34c or Jagger or muhle.

Welcome to the fun @MuzKat - I really hope you will enjoy the journey!

As you can see, I tried to distil down the fantastic advise you have received from both experienced and new members here - there is a very good reason those 2 razors are so often recommended!

Let me again re-phrase: get an Merkur 34c or an Edwing Jagger DE89 (same head geometry as a Muhle by a similar name, just a bit cheaper and less shiny).

Use for at least 3-6 months until you get constantly good shaves with it. Then start to investigate what other razors might be right for you...

Hey @MuzKat - welcome. I hope you've gotten the advice you're seeking. There are MANY razors out there - and not just DE! Modern or vintage, stainless steel or plastic, there is a whole world of fun out there... So why narrow it down unnecessarily early? (And it won't cost you the same as trying to find the right car for you. [emoji6])

Hi MuzKat and welcome to Paste & Cut.

My advice would be to purchase a DE that is easy to use so that you can learn the craft. Then move on to more desirable razors once you have mastered it. Look at a Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89. Both are very intuitive (easy to find the right angle) and nicely balanced in both the handling and the mild/aggression factor.

Send me a PM once you have purchased your razor and I will send you a sample pack of blades courtesy of some of our members.
Thanks for your assistance. It is greatly appreciated. I think when it comes to choosing blades, it will be a harder task than choosing a razor! Trial and error will be the name of the game.

Thanks all for the feedback and input. I will take this onboard and perhaps lower my initial expectations. I've been lurking through many of the posts for a while to get an initial idea, and sometimes it can be more confusing with so much choice and given my virgin knowledge. All your info and advice will no doubt stand me in good stead. Thanks.

It's not about lowering expectations at all. It's accepting that cheaper can often be better. Most people using DEs are using the 'mainstream' products. Which are modestly priced for products that will last many years.

It's the same with soaps. Money doesn't buy a better shave there either. I will get the same result with cheap old speick or Proraso as I do Barrister & Mann. It's all about preference. Which you can't determine until you've developed some technique and consistency. But that doesn't take long.

It's not about lowering expectations at all. It's accepting that cheaper can often be better. Most people using DEs are using the 'mainstream' products. Which are modestly priced for products that will last many years.

It's the same with soaps. Money doesn't buy a better shave there either. I will get the same result with cheap old speick or Proraso as I do Barrister & Mann. It's all about preference. Which you can't determine until you've developed some technique and consistency. But that doesn't take long.
Cheap can definitely be great. My razor is a $4 Chinese straight, my brush is a $12 synthetic and I often use a soap I make for about $2.50 a puck. Once I jump on board the olive oil as aftershave bandwagon I'll be well into Scrooge territory. That said, I'd use none of these products if they weren't up to snuff - I can't stand low quality tools in general but certainly not for something as crucial as comfortably shaving my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.