Next Razor

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
OK fellas I need a hand.

Just sold off my DE89 - enjoy @Marlow . I'll sort of miss it from a nostalgia perspective but it just doesn't do the job that my Gillette NEW (UK LC) does. A better match for my requirements - I shave every 2nd or 3rd day and have thick, coarse stubble.

But the NEW is all I have now - so I wondered what next? Wouldn't mind something a little more aggressive. I appreciate the smoothness of the NEW, but it can sometimes tempt extra pressure even with a sharp blade loaded, especially when it comes to stubborn zones on either side of my chin - that inevitably needs an extra pass or two. I'll try another NEW (probably a short comb, De Luxe, etc.), down the track but what else?

What do you reckon?
…I'm ditching plans for the slant for now, it does seem a bit gimmicky.

I found the Weber to be a very good razor, I'm getting consistent BBS shaves with 3 passes without hardly any touchups!
I use it in my rotation all the time.
Damn it! I have a Weber Bulldog handle on its way from GA, USA. I thought about buying the whole deal but thought better of it.

Get a Merkur adjustable. How aggressive can you take?

I wouldn't race to try as many razors as possible. You'll just come across more stuff you don't like, sooner.

Last edited:
I wouldn't race to try as many razors as possible. You'll just come across more stuff you don't like, sooner.
Love it Drubs!
So now might you be a glass have full or half glass empty kinda guy?

BTW: are you saying Futur or Progress?

Merkur Adjustable. Nice choice for a 'new' adjustable. Only advice I have is to think about the Size issue. The Futur has a Large Head. It may be too large for some faces. The Progress has an option of handles. The standard handle may be too Short for some hands.
Good luck!

I'm a little concern about the chunkier razors - like the Futur - they look difficult to manueuver under the nose…an often missed spot on my head.

So Merkur Progress - how does that compare with an old Slim (for example)?

Still a little pissed about the Weber - I should have just gone the whole razor rather than the handle. Not my fault as the head looked so much like my DE89 I thought I was buying into the same disappointment.

The Futur is big. It can be tricky to get under the nose, it's also pretty heavy and can be tiring to use.. From memory, the Progress isn't much bigger than the head of the regular razors. Both have their manufacturing quirks too, as far as blade gap tolerances go. You'd think the Germans would have nailed that...

That's why the Gillette's are such a feat of mass production engineering. But they're milder. A Gillette on 9, is probably as aggressive as a Futur on 3 or 4. But then, I don't know anyone who might be able to open up a Futur or progress all the way. There's a point where extra blade exposure just makes it more aggressive to use, and not a more efficient to shave hair.

Last edited:

Still a little pissed about the Weber - I should have just gone the whole razor rather than the handle. Not my fault as the head looked so much like my DE89 I thought I was buying into the same disappointment.

I've been very tempted by these too - if I plan to order one I'll let you know and we might arrange something

I've been very tempted by these too - if I plan to order one I'll let you know and we might arrange something

I gave into temptation and ordered one on weekend. Always wanted an all-stainless razor and this one doesn't break the bank. Go for it Mark,

Yeah sure @Mark1966 - you really need another razor. Didn't you Mother tell you to finish what you had in front of you before asking for more. Only when you can truthfully say you have used each razor in your modest stash at least once should you be allowed something new. :)

Update:
I contacted Weber Razors and they are kindly sending me a head for the cost of the razor - minus the handle and supplementing the post. So other than the pain of it arriving in two batches about a week or so apart I am not too much worse off. Very happy!

So I hope to see how the complexion of the NEW changes with the Weber Bulldog handle in a week or so and then what the Weber PH head is like another week after that.

BTW - I cannot recommend Weber highly enough. Barb replies to emails promptly and courteously. They have struck a fine balance between being a professional but warm outfit….and if their merchandise is as good as I think it will be this will be a 10/10 from me.

Weber Razors can be contacted via service@weberrazor.com

I'm lost. You only bought a handle and then complained to them that you should have bought a whole razor?

I'm lost. You only bought a handle and then complained to them that you should have bought a whole razor?
Nah. I'm never one to dodge fault.

The conversation went more like "I'm a fool for not having bought the whole kit and caboodle the first time around, is there any chance of buying the head only?" Barb came back and said, "well since you bought the handle then sure, so it'll cost you $XX total"
….and my math betrays that she is charging me for the razor minus the handle with little rounding-up for the postage.

So short of it is that I'm an idiot. The long of it is that I'm a happy idiot. Make sense?

So i just have to buy one for meself then now ...