November 2022 SHAVING Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early days but I think I've finally cured my RAD...?! :love: Thanks again @Markyv (y)

4.jpg
Be warned, you’ll never stop grabbing the Blackbird. All your other razors will be crying out loud waiting to be loved.

I should have thought your Vector would have done that already ;) Blackland do seem to have a way of producing grail razors...
I could live with just the Vector easily as always delivers a close shave but best to have a couple razors in rotation and the Rocca plus Blackbird complete my holy trinity of razors.

I've tried all the Blackland razors barring the Tradere and they're all well machined with the Blackbird and Vector my pics of the bunch as Dart was was too much blade feel and Sabre just felt difficult to use around my nose area plus don't necessary need extra blades to stock just for one particular razor type... YMMV!

I could live with just the Vector easily as always delivers a close shave but best to have a couple razors in rotation and the Rocca plus Blackbird complete my holy trinity of razors.

I've tried all the Blackland razors barring the Tradere and they're all well machined with the Blackbird and Vector my pics of the bunch as Dart was was too much blade feel and Sabre just felt difficult to use around my nose area plus don't necessary need extra blades to stock just for one particular razor type... YMMV!
Don't you dare torture me into a Vector Mr Grizzly Bear or you won't have your fur coat at all

Not so much an acquisition but i finally made my own shaving soap!
Mainly due to my skin reacting to scented soaps.

Two versions:
1) luxury base: soy wax (89% stearic acid, 11% palmitic acid), cocoa butter, shea butter, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, liquid silk, glycerine.

2) an MdC-ish base: soy wax, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, liquid silk.

Honestly, I prefer the MdC-ish base to the luxury base. I find the blade cuts closer and I get a better shave.
The 10% sweet almond oil and liquid silk help to counter the slight dryness I experienced with actual MdC soap.

My skin is no longer reacting to anything and is in the best condition after a long time!

I've kept 6 soaps in my den which are lightly scented but don't use them often, except MWF, which comes out fairly often.

Not so much an acquisition but i finally made my own shaving soap!
Mainly due to my skin reacting to scented soaps.

Two versions:
1) luxury base: soy wax (89% stearic acid, 11% palmitic acid), cocoa butter, shea butter, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, liquid silk, glycerine.

2) an MdC-ish base: soy wax, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, liquid silk.

Honestly, I prefer the MdC-ish base to the luxury base. I find the blade cuts closer and I get a better shave.
The 10% sweet almond oil and liquid silk help to counter the slight dryness I experienced with actual MdC soap.

My skin is no longer reacting to anything and is in the best condition after a long time!

I've kept 6 soaps in my den which are lightly scented but don't use them often, except MWF, which comes out fairly often.
Your experience echoes a feeling I've had for a while, namely that I generally tend to get closer shaves more easily with hard milled soaps (and I'll include MdC in that category, even though it's not milled as far as I know) than I do with the luxurious buttery artisan soaps. I guess whether or not you get any subsequent dryness depends on your skin type, but I find a very light application of a simple moisturiser immediately after rinsing off as per this thread, though I note that you have a nostrum or two of your own there.

Your experience echoes a feeling I've had for a while, namely that I generally tend to get closer shaves more easily with hard milled soaps (and I'll include MdC in that category, even though it's not milled as far as I know) than I do with the luxurious buttery artisan soaps. I guess whether or not you get any subsequent dryness depends on your skin type, but I find a very light application of a simple moisturiser immediately after rinsing off as per this thread, though I note that you have a nostrum or two of your own there.

Yup, for years I gravitated towards milled soaps for this reason. The shave was always closer than the butter-heavy artisan soaps.

The dryness from MdC could well have been irritation from the scent as I had dryness from the herbal scented LPL soap too.

I've made a massive 400g batch of the MdC+almond oil base so it'll be a while until I can try a more authentic MdC base without the almond oil and silk.
I suspect my skin will be ok with it as I'd make it unscented.

In fact, post shave comfort is better with my MdC+ base compared to "nourishing" bases from artisans, most likely due to my skin reacting to the scents in those soaps.

Ingredients I want to play with down the track are avocado oil, jojoba oil and lanolin.

But it's going to take me about 24 months to get through my 250g luxury base and 400g MdC+ base!

Next step is to make shampoo bars with a bit of kaolin clay. I find clay bars really help when styling hair with product. The hair just behaves better!

Status
Not open for further replies.