Occams Pre-Shave Soap

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Not quite sure which section pre-shave products are catalogued so I've plopped it in here - and will not be offended in the slightest if one of our ever-vigilant Mods moves it elsewhere.

Had some @Occams Original pre-shave soap in the cabinet for a few months now and am thinking of cracking the seal and using it in the next few days - esp. to see how it compares to the Proraso pre-shave lotion. I thought a few of us either have a bar of Occams and certainly many more have a sample from PCTB2. So I think we could marshall together some reviews on this thread.

But before I crack open my fresh bar I was wondering how others used their Occams bar - e.g., much like a soap bar (lather in hand apply to face) or like an alum block (wet an end and apply edge to beard)? Depending on how you apply the pre-shave I'd also be keen to know how you store your bar?

Haven't used it in ages but I applied directly to my face like alum. Popped it into a plastic sealing bag and stored in my cabinet.

I felt that it made no difference in terms of glide or performance.

Is one thing that @Occams could add to their website, instructions/guide to product use.

I've been using my sample like a soap bar recently, and then roughly washing off and lathering straight on top. I think the glycerine seems to help glide for the first pass.

My usage is similar to @Mong. I rub the bar directly on my face for a bit. Then I rub it a bit more by hand over the face. I usually don't wash it off but apply lather (usually Occams cream of the same scent) over the top.

I too find that the extra glycerine helps provide more glide for at least the first pass. I also find that the pre-shave provides more scent if I use the same scented Occams soap to shave with.

I have a small plastic container I store my soap in after letting it dry for a few hours.

In terms of how you use the pre-shave soap, it seems to be go with what works for you. Try several ways and then go with what works for you.

I asked Darcy (@Occams) about his pre-shave soap via messaging last year. Here's what he said:
The idea is that the pre-shave soap moisturises and softens the bristles of your beard - I've spoken to other people here who swear by just having a warm shower, others again who don't use anything, so really comes down to what suits.

I do use a pre-shave soap. I usually just rub it in and leave it on while I'm lathering, then apply the lather straight over.

I think that if you didn't shower before shaving, a pre-shave soap could be beneficial to clean your face and soften your bristles. But if you did shower before you shave, the only benefit of a pre-shave soap would be to add more glide (and extra scent). That's my hunch on this...

So Stillsy, try a few ways (lather by hand, apply direct to face, wash face after, apply lather on top) and report back. [emoji6]

Edit: Additional thoughts.

The only product I use during every shave!

I don't shower before a shave and since recently the soap is pretty much my only pre-shave routine. I wash my face twice with it, using it like any other soap bar. Little rinse and face lather over it.

Thanks fellas. Consensus seems to be to use like a standard bar of soap. Looking forward to trying out next week now. Will teach me to clean out the cabinet a little more often....so I can see what I actually got.

I think that if you didn't shower before shaving, a pre-shave soap could be beneficial to clean your face and soften your bristles. But if you did shower before you shave, the only benefit of a pre-shave soap would be to add more glide (and extra scent). That's my hunch on this...

Agree 100%. Water+heat scientifically shown to soften hairs making them easier to cut - hence hot towel on face at barbers. Hence shower/soak face prep is best IF POSSIBLE - but if that wasn't feasible I could imagine a pre-shave soap helping BUT any number of soaps/beauty products have glycerin in them and often are much more cost effective/user friendly e.g sorbolene cream at 10% glycerin, glycerin soaps etc.

Hence do tend to think that pre-shave soap is a product the majority of users could either not use or replace with something else and get basically the same results for less $$$.

Hence do tend to think that pre-shave soap is a product the majority of users could either not use or replace with something else and get basically the same results for less $$$.
Yep. Plenty of guys out there who use a face cream with moisturising and glycerine for their prep stage of shaving. Certainly more cost effective.

But if you like the scent of your shaving soap, you'd go for a pre-shave soap with the same scent.

I'd also strongly caution against using a simple bar of shower soap. It would take out the moisture rather than add it.