October 2020 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to review @Pbgoose.
Yeah, me too.:facepalm: Tonights honing session was only on the 1K stone and I'm still not done. Factory had put a rounded bevel on the razor which is very pronounced on one heel. When I started honing, the wear pattern started half way up the bevel and didn't even touch the heel or toe. The razor will be slightly lighter by the time I'm done.
I think @rbscebu 's balsa method may suit the factory edge better but mine will be fine once I get the bevel set.

I think @rbscebu 's balsa method may suit the factory edge better but mine will be fine once I get the bevel set.
No it won't. Diamond pasted balsa stropping ONLY works for an edge that already has a properly set bevel and has then been refined (polished) up to at least 8k but preferably 12k grit.

I only have three whetsones, 400 (for heavy work only), 1k and 6k - all synthetic. My normal honing method is; set bevel on 1k, finish bevel on 6k, progress further using lapping film on an acrylic substrate to 1um, then and only then do I move onto my diamond pasted balsa strops.

No it won't. Diamond pasted balsa stropping ONLY works for an edge that already has a properly set bevel and has then been refined (polished) up to at least 8k but preferably 12k grit.

I only have three whetsones, 400 (for heavy work only), 1k and 6k - all synthetic. My normal honing method is; set bevel on 1k, finish bevel on 6k, progress further using lapping film on an acrylic substrate to 1um, then and only then do I move onto my diamond pasted balsa strops.
That makes sense.
What's your experience of the Titans (you've got a few of them now:LOL:)? Do you typically have to do much work to set the bevel?

wJqsSn5l.jpg

Model R1 Titan
@rbscebu , the Titans looked interesting so I thought I'd give one a go.
Not quite shave ready out the box but that's to be expected.
Interesting razor, quite hefty/solid. It feels quite wide in the hand. The blade sits securely with its pin.
Looking forward to seeing how it takes an edge.
The box is a nice touch with a nifty little pinned latch. It comes with mini strop. Not sure whether I'll use it but the leather feels nice so I'll probably try it.
I have four different models of Titan SR's. All take a very good edge and shave particularly well. Where they tend to differ most is in edge retention and oxidisation resistance.

ACRM-2 T.H.60 is easiest to hone but you have to be careful to prevent oxidisation, just like a normal high carbon steel SR.

VG10-HZ T.H.63 is harder steel but has better oxidisation resistance.

ACRO T.H.64 (your SR) is just a little harder but has much better oxidisation resistance

ACRO T.H.70 is their hardest SR so takes more effort to hone but holds its edge the best. It has the same oxidisation resistance as the T.H.64.

The included dual leather and denim strop works well, particularly after it has been broken in. It's a little short but an acceptable width. It also makes a great traveling strop.

Once you have the edge to your liking, for the T.H.64 I suggest about 80 laps on the clean leather stop before each shave. If not maintaining with a 0.1um diamond pasted balsa strop, that SR should be good for about 100 to 150 shaves before the edge will need refreshing again with honing.

I know nothing about the paste that comes with the strop as I am not a user of pastes on flexible strops.

Last edited:
That makes sense.
What's your experience of the Titans (you've got a few of them now:LOL:)? Do you typically have to do much work to set the bevel?
If you have properly set a few beveles before, you should not have any difficulty in setting the bevel on a Titan. From start to shave-ready edge now takes me about 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the condition of the factory edge.

With ALL SR's that I receive, I first perform a marker-pen test to see how everything lines up. From there I can get a good understanding of what type of work will be required to get to the edge that best suits me.

How would you describe the scent?

Yours arrived very quick.
I'm no expert but I can see how its described as marine... I tried comparing it to Phoenix & Beau's Spitfire as both have juniper & leather but that one is more sweeter than Empire.
Certainly a neutral scent that's unlike the other Squdron soaps with less fruitiness/spice and more leather... Can't say I own anything similar which makes it nice! (y)

Oooh! I've forgotten! Today I had a wonderful lunch with all the guys from my local Masonic Lodge to raise money for the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution charity and I've won a raffle of Stirling Pumpkin Spice.

I've never really tried Pumpkin Spice, the SMELL is truly amazing and I LOVE IT. I'm going to use this soap for tonight shave. Has anybody tried Stirling Pumpkin Spice??????

IMG-0842.jpg

Well?? Are you going to kick the Aussie Post in the bare nuts for meeeeeeee! For being bloody SLOW!!!
Shhhh!!! I think they have pressing issues at the moment... no point kicking them when they're down! :LOL:

Happy it finally arrived safely and looking forward to seeing you thoughts/comparison with the EJ 3one6. (y)

looking forward to seeing you thoughts/comparison with the EJ 3one6. (y)
I was thinking comparing the R94 with a new Voskhod blade, because, I’ve already known that with the 3one6 and the Voskhod blade is still holding the edge, not smooth is still comfortable to shave at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.