Old Skool soaps

Rhinehoth

... and these are a few of my favourite soaps.
sfk9fzj.jpg

These are some of the soaps I’ve accumulated over the years. I would try a soap and if I liked it I would buy more of it, and as you can see I like some soaps more than others. Majority of my soaps in this picture are tallow based except for the I Coloniali, Nuavia, Saponificio Varesino, Klar Seifen and La Savonnière du Moulin. All are triple milled except for the Nuavia, I Coloniali and the shave sticks. I have two other bigger boxes somewhere in the basement and I’ll drag them out when I get the time and post some pics. I have tried plenty of artisan soaps before and in the main I didn’t see what all the fuss was about. The exceptions we’re the Nuavia and La Savonnière du Moulin. I guess I am a triple mill soap guy.

I’ve been using croaps, mainly Proraso or TOBS, but I’m going to use only hard soaps for 2022.

I’ve got DR Harris and Face Fat soaps, but have ordered some Saponificio Varesino and Martin de Candre to see what all the fuss is about.

sfk9fzj.jpg

These are some of the soaps I’ve accumulated over the years. I would try a soap and if I liked it I would buy more of it, and as you can see I like some soaps more than others. Majority of my soaps in this picture are tallow based except for the I Coloniali, Nuavia, Saponificio Varesino, Klar Seifen and La Savonnière du Moulin. All are triple milled except for the Nuavia, I Coloniali and the shave sticks. I have two other bigger boxes somewhere in the basement and I’ll drag them out when I get the time and post some pics. I have tried plenty of artisan soaps before and in the main I didn’t see what all the fuss was about. The exceptions we’re the Nuavia and La Savonnière du Moulin. I guess I am a triple mill soap guy.

Superb collection!!

I love triple milled soaps and much prefer them over artisan soaps. Predominantly because the artisan soap scents are too strong and majority are cologne type scents.

I have back-ups of my favorites but realised I need to have a couple extra of DRH Arlington, which is one of my all-time favorite scents!

...I guess I am a triple mill soap guy.
That's a nice little stash you have there. (y) I think I probably am too. At the moment mine is limited to O&C (I should have 10 backups of that all up by the weekend) and Windsor, but those work so well for me, I have four others on the way. Milled soaps are where it all started for me back in the 70s when I first started shaving, but somehow I ended up using all sorts of stuff before coming back to them in the last year or two.

I still have a few croaps and creams to work through, but this last year has shown me where I want to head.

That's a nice little stash you have there. (y) I think I probably am too. At the moment mine is limited to O&C (I should have 10 backups of that all up by the weekend) and Windsor, but those work so well for me, I have four others on the way. Milled soaps are where it all started for me back in the 70s when I first started shaving, but somehow I ended up using all sorts of stuff before coming back to them in the last year or two.

I still have a few croaps and creams to work through, but this last year has shown me where I want to head.
O&C? Must be my age, but it doesn’t ring a bell.

yEtdeRm.jpg

Thus is the second box. XPEC and SMN are triple milled but I don’t think Acqua di Parma is. I Coloniali and Atkinson creams no longer made. Pity that.

Last edited:
9GM5QhH.jpg

Finally, third box of soaps. Some no longer manufactured.

tcit52l.jpg

These are some of my favourite shaving creams. The three on the far left are croaps.

Honey!

Honey!

Come and look at this ...

[... and you complain about the number of soaps I have.]

WOW!

Impressive :eek:

I’ve been using croaps, mainly Proraso or TOBS, but I’m going to use only hard soaps for 2022.

I’ve got DR Harris and Face Fat soaps, but have ordered some Saponificio Varesino and Martin de Candre to see what all the fuss is about.
MDC has been around for a long time and there is a reason for that. Their soaps are great and last a long time. If you enjoy DR Harris and MWF, I think that you may like MDC and SV.

I forgot to mention that I use Proraso soaps too, to clean my badger brushes. 😁

Same here. I tried the artisan soaps but they weren’t for me. It’s funny how back in the day, shavers were complaining how expensive MDC was. Yet if you buy an artisan soap now, you are paying around $40 for 100 grams and it’s a croap. The croap will not last as long as an equivalent (in weight) triple milled soap. So for me, MDC ends up cheaper and will last forever without going rancid (looking at you Cella).

Senility is catching up with me. I have that soap but not in the aluminium container. Now that Valobra is no longer making their soaps there is no point in getting it.

Senility is catching up with me. I have that soap but not in the aluminium container. Now that Valobra is no longer making their soaps there is no point in getting it.
It's not really the sort of thing you buy for yourself anyway, it's super-expensive. Mine was a gift from a lady friend. A very nice lady friend. :D There are people here who will turn up a nice bowl for you if you ask...