On the job.

Meetup? What’s that, haven’t heard of one being spoken about for ages.

We even have door prizes in CBR ones ...

... but might be Spring now before we have the next!

53 years old, I left the Navy 11 years ago after 26 years service as an electrician. I currently work at the Newcastle coal ship loaders as the Supervisor of the machinery Condition Monitoring team.

Are ex-RAF guys allowed here?

My early career blew up somewhat after a bad landing one day, and I then worked in technology until 2007 when I got bored and jacked it all in. I moved from NZ to Hong Kong just before my 60th, studied and took my Securities & Futures licensing exams, and built up a small wealth management practice. I sold most of that before moving to the Philippines a couple of years ago. I’m just part-time now…looking after a few clients before finally selling down when I’m 75 in a couple of years.

Are ex-RAF guys allowed here?

My early career blew up somewhat after a bad landing one day, and I then worked in technology until 2007 when I got bored and jacked it all in. I moved from NZ to Hong Kong just before my 60th, studied and took my Securities & Futures licensing exams, and built up a small wealth management practice. I sold most of that before moving to the Philippines a couple of years ago. I’m just part-time now…looking after a few clients before finally selling down when I’m 75 in a couple of years.
Re your Avatar. Was that Susie Wong's over in Kowloon?

One of the places I miss now I'm not at sea was Hong Kong, I've been there more times than I can remember. Without being too political, it's such a shame that it's not the place it used to be. I was there just before the handover and no one was happy.

It was in Wanchai, I think. I used to do a lot of documentary-style photography, ie drug use in HK, Hanoi, & Phnom Penh, aftermath of the 2014 Gaza war in Palestine, gangs in China, marginalisation in HK’s poorer districts, heartbreaking stuff mostly and not pretty, so the Wanchai clubs were a also a theme.

Chartered Accountant here.
I wish I could tell you something interesting about my job...

jerry-lawler-wwf.gif

Chartered Accountant here.
I wish I could tell you something interesting about my job...

jerry-lawler-wwf.gif

Oh come on!

You have to talk up the profession.

Remind people of the BEST MOVIE EVER -

410d965e-cd7a-43ec-acff-0b3c1c501a4a.jpg

Seriously folks, accountants are COOL -

Don't you miss the anal chem? I did a lot of it at Uni and loved it...
Nope. Routine/commercial lab work is like flipping burgers. I still do an audit for NATA at least once a year, I find the industry was racing to the bottom to make as much money as possible regardless of quality, lately that seems to be changing.

For the last 5½ years I've been running the team regulating TasWater's sewage treatment plants, last year that expanded to include landfills and industrial scale composting.

Just been selected to manage industrial environmental regulation for the state.

Im in my 5th month of the new career- absolutely loving it, earlier this week I went to a networking thing and although it sounds like it would be the worst thing ever, cause… networking, people in the industry are genuinely nice, interesting and very hospitable.
I also told HR I deserve a raise cause of how excellent I am and they failed to call my bluff.
To add to the strangeness they valued me higher than I value myself..so obviously I need to work on inflating my ego.

I’m actually very surprised, the change means it’s the highest paying role I’ve ever had and also has the best work life balance but being a creative/intellectual role it can be mentally exhausting.

Hey all,
Been a while since I posted-
I have been very busy on my last consulting gig but I’m now about to go into my last week before going on leave for baby #3
It’s still a big novelty for me to be involved in playing, all be it a small part, in supporting the delivery of some of the governments high profile initiatives.

Started at 12yo cleaning a small shop after school for 20d per afternoon. I kept working with that employer as the business grew. By 18yo I was managing the shop with 14 staff under me.

After finishing high school it was the RAN for a few years and then 6 years of uni in mechanical engineering and naval architecture. From there I entered the private sector as an employee for three years before starting my own design business.

After about 10 years of ship design, the business built up to where it was the second largest in Asia/Pacific with both private and military clients in many countries.

In my late 40s, I started to move out of design and more into consulting and project supervision, still for private and military clients. I sold (gave?) my company to some of my staff.

Now I am semi-retired but still taking on projects that interest and challenge me.

Baby number 3!!!

Wow, did we miss number 2?

Congratulations 🥳