Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I'm sure that you have all read the notice:

Outage Window: 1200hrs AEDT Saturday 20th October 2012 to 1800hrs AEDT Sunday 21st October 2012.
Outage Length: 2 hours, plus possible smaller outage of around 30 mins.
Reason: Complete site backup for testing new hosting platform.
Affected: Entire site. Forum maintenance message will be displayed.

What are you planning on doing in this period? How will you cope?

I have three other shaving forums to fall back on but I worry for some other people.

Feel free to share here how your life will be affect and what support strategies you have in place.

[BTW - thanks to RM for this work, while we are coping you are working!]

I will no doubt spend a few more hours on the drumkit playing...trying to nail that elusive Taylor Hawkins beat.

Clean out my study and rearrange my accumulated shaving supplies.

Huddle in the corner, chanting Mark1966 over and over, you know. The usual.

I will try to write a report on flying pigs.

This is actually the truth, I have an assignment for uni due next week on Australia's efforts to sell pork to Singapore in 1998-2001 under the brand Airpork.

I might even have another look at transferring my wifes blog from blogger to wordpress, that is all a bit too hard.

What are you planning on doing in this period? How will you cope?

Cranking in the corner no doubt. A usual weekend really.
I have three other shaving forums to fall back on but I worry for some other people.
Wicked_edge - reddit's straight and double edge shaving community included, or have I just introduced another?

[BTW - thanks to RM for this work, while we are coping you are working!]

+1

I am sure Mrs Egg will have a list of things for me to do by then, but if I do get any internet time it will more than likely be spent researching which new mobile phone I will buy (still using the crappy nokia since my one died), and which multi-tool I want. Have spent a fortune in the last few weeks, but looks like I will be adding another $500 or more to that fairly shortly.

[video=youtube;-yOC9uMWmgU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yOC9uMWmgU[/video]

What do you mean cope?

I'll be thinking of RM doing the hard yards so we can all reap the long term benefits. Lets hope he's had the change control meeting and had the test plans signed off...:blink:

I'll be thinking of RM doing the hard yards so we can all reap the long term benefits. Lets hope he's had the change control meeting and had the test plans signed off...:blink:

What change control? I AM THE CHANGE CONTROL MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

But seriously, I do this for a living so I am not concerned. And this is the test anyway. I am moving my personal domain which the new server is a part of, and getting the local DNS up to scratch.

For those that care, it looks something like this:
  • FTP personal domain hosted files (static files) directly from old server to new server.
  • Redirect personal domain A record to new server.
  • Turn P&C forums off in Admin Panel.
  • Run database backup from vBulletin script into a subfolder of the domain.
  • FTP files directly from old server to new server.
  • Delete database backup from old server.
  • Turn P&C forums back on.

I actually think the DB backup will take about 5-10 mins, and the FTP will be all of about 10 mins too as I am going from Datacentre to Datacentre, not pulling it down to my own machine and being limited by a 1300kb/s uplink. Should see as least 10MB/sec transfers.

That said, whenever I make an estimate of how long something will take, I usually allow 3 times as long as I think it will take.

P&C Outage - how will YOU cope?

Would it be possible for us to watch? Could we setup a Live You Tube cam??
It could be a 1st in Shaving History!!!

Huddle in the corner, chanting Mark1966 over and over, you know. The usual.

Good idea!

I will try to write a report on flying pigs.

Nice! enjoy that

Oh, another. Just here, YNW, TSD and very, very occasionally the UK one I was sent to in search of Gary Young

What a floozie you are.

Sorry, I always come back here...

I'll be shaving with a cartridge and spray foam the whole time.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, don't do it

What change control? I AM THE CHANGE CONTROL MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

But seriously, I do this for a living so I am not concerned. And this is the test anyway. I am moving my personal domain which the new server is a part of, and getting the local DNS up to scratch.

For those that care, it looks something like this:
  • FTP personal domain hosted files (static files) directly from old server to new server.
  • Redirect personal domain A record to new server.
  • Turn P&C forums off in Admin Panel.
  • Run database backup from vBulletin script into a subfolder of the domain.
  • FTP files directly from old server to new server.
  • Delete database backup from old server.
  • Turn P&C forums back on.

I actually think the DB backup will take about 5-10 mins, and the FTP will be all of about 10 mins too as I am going from Datacentre to Datacentre, not pulling it down to my own machine and being limited by a 1300kb/s uplink. Should see as least 10MB/sec transfers.

That said, whenever I make an estimate of how long something will take, I usually allow 3 times as long as I think it will take.

WOW - sounds, complicated....

Seriously, next time I am not even giving notice of an outage....