PAA soaps to be available at Shaver Heaven

@alfredus , far be it for me to tell you what works best on your skin but perhaps @Anthony or other vendors can clarify that they use SPECIFIC soap making fragrances only. Generally the better fragrance oils that are specifically made for soap making will be much more dermatologically friendly (as well as less likely to 'seize' a soap batch - which is where they react and make it go unusable!).

The vast majority of EO's are actually not things you'd want on your or anyone elses skin and somewhat counterintuitively fragrance oils are the only way for many people to experience/utilise a lot of different scents WITHOUT copping a nasty skin reaction from the product e.g cinnamon is one that springs to mind and there are many others.

I think a lot of vendors use cheaper fragrance oils that aren't 100% soap making specific/skin tested and these would be more likely to cause skin conditions. Please forgive me in advance if you're already across all this. :)

No need to apologise, can't get enough info from you - especially in the soap department.

Of course you are right, but I just drew this border for me a while ago, as I did not see any need to cross it. Producers, who bother to make these distinctions, usually only use high quality ingredients anyway.

That's why I said initially short answer. It makes life for me in most cases easier, as I don't have to go on researching about ingredients lists as well. And as I said, there is enough choice out there (usually except in this case).

Same goes for me and ZAMAC razors - except for the R41 - I don't need to cross the line, it makes life easier - so why bother.

Problen with synthetics is they're an unknown artificial compound that the average punter has nfi of the chemical makeup.

HMMMMM...don't agree fully with that - but I am a trained chemist. For me it is actually more about the impurities that a chemical process carries along - not the compound itself. See what most people often don't realise: the actual compounds are the same.

Of course Essential oils are often a mixture of compounds, but for simplicity lets assume for a second it is one compound. Now there is no way chemically or physically to distinguish between a plant derived compound - or the same synthetically derived compound. IF IT IS 100% PURE!

The problems are the impurities. Essential oils are mostly extracted from plant material via steam (water) distillation - which leads to water being the only impurity beside the plant material itselt. Fragrance oils on the other hand are a blend of synthetically derived compounds - and in synthetic organic chemistry water is usually the biggest pain to use and so one uses organic solvents like ethyl acetate, acetone or chlorinated solvents. Plus the starting materials are usually derived from petrochemical products and therefore carry those impurities.

Of course there can be many complications - like the pesticides used on the plants, before the EO's are extracted - but GENERALLY speaking (and if the producer uses high grade materials) EO's are less likely to carry nasty impurities.

One more thing - as Nick said: just because it is an EO doesn't mean it is good for you or your skin. Bergamot Oil for example is phototoxic. If you use a concentrated form on your skin, you can't go into the sun for hours or you get sun burned...and I am sure there are many more examples.

OK, so hopefully I got my points across, in any case it is a personal choice for me and makes my life easier.

Honey Ale coming my way too, after watching that Stallion video (y)
Yeah, it's really hard to go past the excellent choices of Shaver Heaven soap... So why bother with PAA soaps I say? Support the Aussie soaps that really stand out! [emoji6]

@alfredus to a non chemist, those impurities are a part of what forms the final compound and being petrochelically based is more reason for concern, considering studies at least suggest there's a prospective link between them and parkinsons disease.
I would search and link articles, yet am on a mobile!

Yeah, it's really hard to go past the excellent choices of Shaver Heaven soap... So why bother with PAA soaps I say? Support the Aussie soaps that really stand out! [emoji6]

I got the Cavendish more out of curiosity, plus I've read so much about it over the past few months that I have been curious for a while. Only one way to scratch that itch... I still have no idea what a tobacco scented soap smells like...

I'm seriously looking forward to the Shaver Heaven soap. If it's as good as your puck of Heavenly Amber that I have (speaking of which, we should catch up again so I can return it), it will quickly rise to the top of my rotation.

I got the Cavendish more out of curiosity, plus I've read so much about it over the past few months that I have been curious for a while. Only one way to scratch that itch... I still have no idea what a tobacco scented soap smells like...

I'm seriously looking forward to the Shaver Heaven soap. If it's as good as your puck of Heavenly Amber that I have (speaking of which, we should catch up again so I can return it), it will quickly rise to the top of my rotation.
Tabac is a classic Tabacco scented soap. However that's just like saying its a Bay Rum or Barbershop scent, there is so much variation across the producers...

Oh yes, I'm sure it'll be as fantastic as the Heavenly Amber! I think the Honey Ale sounds awesome. (It reminds me of Micky Lee Soaps "Drunken Goat".)

Yep. I've got a brush to return as well. Perhaps I'll lend you another soap. [emoji6]

Tabac is a classic Tabacco scented soap. However that's just like saying its a Bay Rum or Barbershop scent, there is so much variation across the producers...

Oh yes, I'm sure it'll be as fantastic as the Heavenly Amber! I think the Honey Ale sounds awesome. (It reminds me of Micky Lee Soaps "Drunken Goat".)

Yep. I've got a brush to return as well. Perhaps I'll lend you another soap. [emoji6]

I've never smelt Tabac...

Soon enough I'll have some SC soaps to lend you too.

...and not forgetting that Mr PAA, a.k.a., Douglas Smyth, a.k.a. Mr. HTGAM, a.k.a Mr. Petal Push....whatever da'fuq he goes by is an overflowing bucket of toss. I'd prefer to direct my custom towards those things I'd like seeing supported. Old Dougie Boy, well I can think of a few things other than me I'd like to see 'supporting' him....

I thought Tabac was mustard inspired!

As for tobacco...
razorock-la-famiglia-zi-peppino-green-tobacco-shaving-soap-125ml.jpg
rrtobacco1and2soap.jpg

Haha! No need to "confess". I hear it's a great scent. But I'd love to hear how it compares (scent, performance) to B&M's Seville!
Cad is a pretty sharp scent, definitely on the strong side. Of the Phoenix range I've tried Cad, Chocolate bourbon, Cavendish, Gondo and The Beach (my favourite one). Ordered Clubguy last night too. Honestly though, they're no Shaver Heaven imo.

Cad is a pretty sharp scent, definitely on the strong side. Of the Phoenix range I've tried Cad, Chocolate bourbon, Cavendish, Gondo and The Beach (my favourite one). Ordered Clubguy last night too. Honestly though, they're no Shaver Heaven imo.
That's my opinion also: you can get great Aussie soap for the same price ($17), but 5 oz (150ml) compared to 3.5 oz. I mean, the Shaver Heaven is better value for money.

I'm still keen to hear what people think of the CaD (PAA) to Seville (B&M) comparison... @3pass have you tried @Barrister & Mann 's Seville?

Ive got Seville and about to have CAD - Seville would have been the last scent i was expecting to compare it to tho?

Ive got Seville and about to have CAD - Seville would have been the last scent i was expecting to compare it to tho?
Really? Seville is a Barbershop scent, and my understanding is that CAD (aka Barbersoul/Barberpole) is too. Sure, CAD is trying to replicate Barbasol but I thought it all fit in the loose category of "Barbershop" scents.

So.... how do they compare? Chalk and cheese?

Ha, there you go. I never even put Seville in the "barbershop" scent category. But I guess i shouldnt be surprised i have 4 barbershop scented soaps and 3/4 are in no way even similar to one another.
Ill let you know tomorrow if my parcel arrives express.

@alfredus to a non chemist, those impurities are a part of what forms the final compound and being petrochelically based is more reason for concern, considering studies at least suggest there's a prospective link between them and parkinsons disease.
I would search and link articles, yet am on a mobile!

Please be careful with "studies" these days - I think you can find a study proving anything you want...in my time doing research I regarded more than 50% of the peer reviewed papers as rubbish. If you are not a professional (scientist, medical research etc.) you have no idea what really is going on in research. But at the end of the day, there is almost no funding in science for "negative" studies - who wants you to find out if something is toxic etc. - so a lot of those papers are unfortunately from people who want something to be true, but don't have the funding to really prove it....

Anyway: I always say common sense is the king in these matters - why should I use ingredients derived from petrochemical compounds when I can use ingredients from plants...and I think that's as far as you can go in most cases without just driving yourself mad :(

But please don't start not using medicine or vaccines etc. because of this - again this would be IMO just plain mad...

...and not forgetting that Mr PAA, a.k.a., Douglas Smyth, a.k.a. Mr. HTGAM, a.k.a Mr. Petal Push....whatever da'fuq he goes by is an overflowing bucket of toss. I'd prefer to direct my custom towards those things I'd like seeing supported. Old Dougie Boy, well I can think of a few things other than me I'd like to see 'supporting' him....
ABSOLUTELY - there is so much great choice out there - we can also afford to support nice people!

Last edited:
Whhoot - Got my PAA in the mail just then. Both Cavendish and CAD smell nothing like i expected, but both really nice scents.