Parker 96R - The honest review

Phunk

Hi all, I've noticed a lack of information on the trusty old 96R here.

I bought this Razor 2 years ago and absolutely HATED every single part of the shave it gave me. It felt like shaving with a rusty stone on my face and left me looking like I was attempting to donate blood using my face.

I thought to myself, maybe I'm still learning the ropes and lets put this away until I figure out shaving, back to the trusty EJ DE89 I went.

Fast forward 2 years and I decided to get the 96R back out of retirement.

- Parker R96

- Blade: Muhle Blades (Mild and smooth)

- Soap: Trufitt & Hill Apsley

- Brush: Wahl Badger Brush

So, how was it?

---- Still Garbage ----

2/10.

No matter which angle you use, it rubs the face and does not glide.

It does give you a close shave, but an extremely uncomfortable one.

It is NOT for beginners.

It is NOT worth its $30 price point.

***I am willing to give it away but you will need to pay for travel as it can be found in my local park tossed in the grass***

I am happy to hear of others experiences with this monstrosity, maybe I'm just no good at this razor!

Anyways, if someone new decides to google search it, I hope they see this and they end up buying anything else but this, it will get them back to using disposables thinking this is how all DE shaving is like.

For a newbie - alternatives?

- Edwin Jagger DE89 (Beautiful razor)

- King C Gillette from Coles (even though I despise Gillette)

I had to check, and Parker said...
“The Parker 96R butterfly open is one of our most popular models based on its classic good looks, intermediate weight and textured black and chrome handle. It has a thinner diameter handle, so it is great for those with smaller hands. It has Parker’s precision engineered twist-to-open head, a nice heft and a wonderful balance. This is an excellent razor for new and experienced wet shavers".

Sublime comedy right there!

Hi all, I've noticed a lack of information on the trusty old 96R here.

I bought this Razor 2 years ago and absolutely HATED every single part of the shave it gave me. It felt like shaving with a rusty stone on my face and left me looking like I was attempting to donate blood using my face.

I thought to myself, maybe I'm still learning the ropes and lets put this away until I figure out shaving, back to the trusty EJ DE89 I went.

Fast forward 2 years and I decided to get the 96R back out of retirement.

- Parker R96

- Blade: Muhle Blades (Mild and smooth)

- Soap: Trufitt & Hill Apsley

- Brush: Wahl Badger Brush

So, how was it?

---- Still Garbage ----

2/10.

No matter which angle you use, it rubs the face and does not glide.

It does give you a close shave, but an extremely uncomfortable one.

It is NOT for beginners.

It is NOT worth its $30 price point.

***I am willing to give it away but you will need to pay for travel as it can be found in my local park tossed in the grass***

I am happy to hear of others experiences with this monstrosity, maybe I'm just no good at this razor!

Anyways, if someone new decides to google search it, I hope they see this and they end up buying anything else but this, it will get them back to using disposables thinking this is how all DE shaving is like.

For a newbie - alternatives?

- Edwin Jagger DE89 (Beautiful razor)

- King C Gillette from Coles (even though I despise Gillette)

Very entertainment, I’ve had a few like that.

Very entertainment, I’ve had a few like that.

Honestly, (no where near your level) I've got a few Razors, maybe 12 or so?

The Parker 96R is bottom of the barrel. I'd shave with my lawnmower blade or a Gillette Pink Venus before I use it ever again.

For context, through no fault of the Razor - I have the R41 and I still use that to hone my skills. I went from shaving with a cheese grater to now being able to take a weeks worth of growth in a swoop.

The R96 is not one to hone in. It is just terrible and remains terrible.

Honestly, (no where near your level) I've got a few Razors, maybe 12 or so?

The Parker 96R is bottom of the barrel. I'd shave with my lawnmower blade or a Gillette Pink Venus before I use it ever again.

For context, through no fault of the Razor - I have the R41 and I still use that to hone my skills. I went from shaving with a cheese grater to now being able to take a weeks worth of growth in a swoop.

The R96 is not one to hone in. It is just terrible and remains terrible.

When you sell it, I'll be the first to put my hand up.

I have the Parker 87R and 22R and while it's been a while since I shaved with them they were nowhere near the level you are describing. Might pull em out again and have a go.

Agreed!

The Parker/pearl razors from India are "chatter boxes"!!

Horrible amounts of blade chatter make these razors feel like shaving with a jagged tin can!!

I really like a butterfly DE razor and have the 99R. I have to say it's definitely not my favourite either. It can be very rough on the skin as you have described with the 96R.

I do use it every now and then but after each time, I wonder why I did.

Shaving with a tin can now that’s an experience I will have to try

No need to risk tetanus...just use a Parker or pearl razor for a true tin can experience!

*I do have to say though, the pearl flexi (copy of the rex ambassador) is a very nice shaver!