Porcine Royalty - Kent VS80. Best boar in the world, on every count.

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
After the enjoyable little ribbing that has been evident over the last little while, I have been away and shaving with my 'travel kit'. The contents of my travel kit varies often, and usually at the the whim of my ever-changing desire for variety. And yet one thing is constant. One thing remains in my small shaving wetpack.

The Kent VS80.
And a stick of La Troja, but that has it's own thread already.

Now, I own a few boars. Not all are considered good, I am looking at you Omega 10029. Not all are reliable. And yes, I am casting a furious glare at my Semogue 830 right now.

Only one boar has always performed, without the need for borax and vinegar baths, or to be broken in with a sheet of sandpaper. It's the smallest knot, the lowest loft, and it sheds hair like a Brazilian model at a beauty salon.

The Kent VS80.

It's a sad looking thing. Wooden handled, it doesn't exactly ooze the air of expense. It is well lacquered though which is super important. A small royal coat of arms along with the wording for a royal warrant is the only thing that gives this quite nonchalantly unassuming brush any hint of the true greatness that lies beneath the bulb-shaped knot.

One would assume that the generally ragged appearance of the two VS80 brushes in my possession (one is as yet unused) is attributable to the fact I actually purchased 'seconds' via the Kent Brushes eBay store. The unused one in front of me appears to have had the glue spill over and onto the handle. The wood seems less 'nice' and finished much rougher than what is shown on the Kent website. The brass collar seems to also be slightly warped. The base is not flat and therefore wobbles on the desk. The actual knot itself is not even either, the bulb has 'chunks' out of it around the edge.

All told it is a pretty sad looking thing. This is the brush that was never asked to the school formal, was always picked last on sporting teams during P.E. class. It's not as pretty as the Semogue that everyone wants to date but you then have to put up with the whining when it mentions how it isn't getting it's borax bath. It's not the strong, muscular and well-coordinated, yet ultimately unrefined Omega which after the game smells like it should be condemned to the incinerator. The Kent VS80 us the quiet geeky kid that was a bit weird and liked to play chess.

But it has heart. More heart than Phar Lap. It's a tenacious little thing, that will take the modicum of faith you have in it and repay you a thousand-fold. It just does what it was designed to do, and does it very well.

I've used soaps, I have used creams. I have used croaps. And while my trusty Muhle Pure Badger tends to deal with the creams better and suits my 'taste' in bowl-produced lather from a cream, across the entire selection of products the little VS80 is the best performer.

Face lathering La Toja - it is easily the best.
Picking up a crema off the puck of MWF - the 830 is put to shame.
Putting a pea-sized dollop of Trumper Violets from a tube while travelling and face lathering - win.

I am constantly amazed by the unattractive little brush that could. It picks up the right amount of cream from a bowl every time. It just has that magical property imbued into it where it turns almost any product into a nice, slippery lather and is still controlled, unlike the Omega which tends to simply 'regurgitate' the suds on your cheek like a drunk uni student.

So, £5.10 RRP for a brush like this is a small price to pay - that's $7.90 in the mighty Aussie Dollar these days. Cheaper than the brute Omega 29 which was over $13, and much less than the Semogue which tipped closer to $30. But I didn't even pay that much.

I paid about $22.40 delivered for a VS80 and a 'Kent Shaving Soap' in a wooden bowl. Now, when you consider that the aforementioned 'Kent Shaving Soap' is a rather famous and well-loved, UK-manufactured triple-milled soap known for the lanolin content it contains.... well I don't have to tell you that is quite a deal when we can pay that much just for the soap refill here.

I encourage you all to get one, or even a few of these magnificent brushes and give them a go. They are cheap and make excellent 'new shaver' gifts, and are also truly excellent to use as a travel brush.

I wish I had never put the ones I got into Christmas presents.

Porcine Royalty? That's not fair, I was saving that up for a Camilla gag.

So what you're really saying is I got dudded by Pj, and there are cheap crap boars are actually the best thing since Will's and Kate's commemorative chamber pots?

Piffle. The minute you mention Phar Lap you're dredging up more tired clichés than the whole commentary team on Friday night footy.

Don't diss the 830, you know it only wants some borax and you will love it again.

Porcine Royalty? That's not fair, I was saving that up for a Camilla gag.
That would have been unfair to pigs. She looks like a horse.

Camilla walks into a bar and the barman asks 'Why the long face' etc etc

So what you're really saying is I got dudded by Pj, and there are cheap crap boars are actually the best thing since Will's and Kate's commemorative chamber pots?
No, what I saying is that Pj got you an absolute beauty of a practical joke (and shaving related at that) and you are still upset over it. Was hilarious for the rest of us. I'm still smirking, not sure if it is the peals of laughter from Pj or the venom-filled review you posted.

And a VS80 isn't in the same league as commemorative chamber pots. There are great boars you can find very cheaply that work really well. Some of the cheap Omegas are definitely good but others like the '29 are a bit ho-hum. Of course there are 'cheap crap boars' as you put it, but the VS80 is not crap.

Piffle. The minute you mention Phar Lap you're dredging up more tired clichés than the whole commentary team on Friday night footy.
Don't diss the 830, you know it only wants some borax and you will love it again.
I am sick of it being a princess. If the 830 was your girlfriend (and sometimes I wonder about you Drubs) then you would break up with it for being 'high maintenance'. It is definitely something to do with that premium bristle. When it works well it is fantastic, but if it isn't in the mood then you may as well slap some canned goop on your face with only your hand for a better result.

I am going to say that this is the brush that everyone should have. Everybody can afford it. It works really well in every way and simply brilliantly for soaps. I was never really a soap guy, but I have been using them more and more with this little porker.

I can always send you this one I have on my desk.... or are you afraid of it?

I'm not saying nufink. Silence is golden. Thanks Monsta!
You are only silent because you are afraid that a pigs head will be left in your bed.

Worth grabbing one, a brush and a puck of MWF for 22 bucks delivered is pretty good.

Worth buying alone for the soap for sure.
No idea why they threw some razor into that pack though.
Is it a full size puck of soap?

OMG, do I really need 5 brushes? :weird:

Really in it for the soap and bowl as my MWF is running low and all I have is a bare puck in a mug with no bowl anyway. Only slightly interested in the brush as a travel brush, as I'm happy with my SOC and EJ BBB.

edit £5.50 postage for one £9.50 postage for two, £13.50 for three, so not really saving much at all buying in multiples

Last edited:
Its an amazing travel brush, great size and works well with sticks like La Toja. Perfect for a travelling kit. And it is so cheap that if you were to lose it, the cost of replacement is not huge. You will be upset that you lost a great performing brush though.

Yes, It is a full size puck of "Kent Shaving Soap" but it is MWF inside. Funnily enough, I find that the VS80 does the best job on the MWF of all my brushes. It also seems to work my other soaps the best too.

And I have no idea why they bother with that disposable, give it to your wife for her legs or something. You are totally correct on not saving much on multiples, I think it is better to get one soap & brush, then a few extra brushes.

If you do get one Pablo, give it a few runs and then tell us what you think. It runs fairly well out of the box, no long Semogue-like breaking in process. Once it has 3-4 lathers it is pretty much done.

Its an amazing travel brush.........a great performing brush ........the VS80 does the best job on the MWF of all my brushes. It also seems to work my other soaps the best too........It runs fairly well out of the box........

Talk it up!!! Just wait until you get the "Drooling Banjo' sent to you by Drubbing. Now there's a brush, pablo-h.

Talk it up!!! Just wait until you get the "Drooling Banjo' sent to you by Drubbing.

I would piss myself laughing if it arrived!!

And I will talk this thing up. I will say it is the boar equivalent of the Wee Scot.

There, I said it

lol
So what's a good alternative then?

To be fair, the only decent reason to get the Kent is the 'free' MWF. I think it's shit, so no sale for me.

Any Omega or Semogue would be a great brush. I'm not experienced with Omega's but the 3 series seems a good range. With Semogue, pick your price, I think they're all pretty sound.

You're even welcome to having the Drooling banjo, but I don't think it's a great example of the genre...

Maybe it's time for me to pick up a Semogue 830 for him, and for me as well.....
I think it's a good brush, using mine this week. Monsta would disagree and he loves the Kent, warts and all, but as I said, I think the only decent reason to get it is the soap bundled in.

Man I looked at this kent brush today and bristles fell out. There is no glue at all in the centre, and judging by the bristle length, it's only held in by a millimetre or two.
Touch the centre and hairs fall out.
I don't hate the handle or the bristle, but I think I need to find some way to add glue in there somewhere without ruining it.

.......I don't hate the handle or the bristle, but I think I need to find some way to add glue in there somewhere without ruining it.

Let it dry out completely and grab some super glue (it being very thin), push the nozzle of the tube inside the base of the knot and give it a decent squeeze. That's about all you can do I would have thought. Send him the drooling banjo, Drubbing. In comparison that's a truly royal brush. Just because a brush has a snooty name like Kent instead of being a no-name drooler originating from Darnell's Store in Rosa Brook.......Have faith in the drug store boar!

Drug

store?!

Get a hold of yourself.
Do you also go shopping for 'produce', use heaps of 'product'?
Use barbisol and scrubbing bubbles, buy heaps of shit at walmart?

'store' and boar may rhyme, but that's no excuse. That kind of talk isn't acceptable GENTLEMEN. Or if you prefer american expressions, that dog don't hunt.

edit: but yeah, superglue was my first thought too ;) Got some pva style wood/craft glue on hand that I chucked in though already anyway. If it doesn't work, who cares. Only bought it for the soap. But the bristles are pretty good, just saying, shame to see them all fall out.

Last edited: