Post Shave First Aid?

TomG

Gentleman Shaver from WA ...
2020 Charity Auction Winner
As I'm suffering tonight, I thought I'd invite members to share their "go-to" product when things go wrong. Not so much for bleeders, but more for the times when your skin is ravaged by razor burn and irritation?

Last edited:
Second the Nivea Sensitive Balm. Always comes out of the draw on every shave i do, same with a styptic pencil.

They are part of my routine to get out each and every shave, even if not used :)

Depends how severe. I find that Thayers Medicated has produced much better results calming irritation than other thayers. Products with allantoin seem to work well for me(myrsol antesol), or if it's something really bad, hydrocortisol cream (no more than 1% strength) was recommended by a dermatologist when I was getting a skin check for sun cancer (though I have only used it once in a year, and not something to use lightly).

@TomG when I get a bad irritation when shaving by accident when I apply pressure buy mistake I always use Natio Maximum Razor Relief Healing Lotion because it does help a lot, you can get this at priceline, chemist warehouse or at you're local chemist for about $18.00

Also are you using the right DE blade that suite you're skin type to be able to give you a smooth shave.

Last edited:
As I'm suffering tonight, I thought I'd invite members to share their "go-to" product when things go wrong. Not so much for bleeders, but more for the times when your skin is ravaged by razor burn and irritation?

Proraso Green Aftershave. If you've flayed yourself, it'll flay you again for a few seconds, but it works. Speick is also very good.

I haven't found balms do anything to help. They are moisturisers and only put moisture back and taking away the tight feeling. They do not heal or sooth.

Use Aftershave first, then apply balm. And don't shave till your skin is better. Then...don't do it again.

The only real fix Tom, is prevention. Work out why you're doing this. Most people try too hard to get the ultimate shave too early. They push too hard with the blade, and have poor blade angle, so scrape more than they cut.

The first goal is a comfortable shave, where you throw on alcohol aftershave and it feels no different to water.

Last edited:
Last edited:
"Darling, you just don't understand. ALL the other guys have a Whisky collection as a part of their daily grooming regime!"

I love the smell of whisky in the morning ...

Natio aftershave balm, not the one in the long tub, the short stubby one. A wonder cream me thinks. I get bad irritation, especially in the wet season here in Townsville, i have tried them all, however, Natio is my goto.

Ahh yes Mark, more Apocalypse Now, i watched it again after our little tete a tete the other day. Outstanding.

My go to form of quote :)

It is not on Netflix disappointingly :(