Pre-Shave

Garry357

I have been using Pears soap as a pre-shave. It has a very high Glycerin content 998%). Currently using the Lemon flower scent it's $2.50 and last for ages.

Anyone else use standard soap as a pre-shave?

There are a few here that use pears soap as well and swear by it.

I don't bother with a pre-shave. IMO if you are using a good quality shaving soap, the slickness is already there once you apply your lather. I did try dedicated pre-shave soaps like the Pheonix Cube and various oils years ago. I just found that they clogged the razor and the drain.

I use Pears soap after a good soak with a hot flannel. For far too many years I used Pears as my shaving soap too.

Not too happy that it has become another victim of shrinkflation, they've cut the weight of the soap bars by 20%.

I usually just wash my face with warm water and 5% Aleppo soap, that does it for me. I really don't think there's need to get your face all oily, you just need to get it clean, and start getting those pores open.

I also use Pears Transparent (original) bath soap. I use it was my face (and thoroughly rinsed it off) before lathering. I spent about 1 minute washing and a further 3 minutes rinsing before lathering.

The purpose of my pre-shave is to hydrate the whiskers. To do that effectively, you must first remove all traces of oil from the whiskers, particularly at the skin-whisker interface. Then the whiskers need to be kept wet for at least 3 minutes or more.

I usually just wash my face with warm water and 5% Aleppo soap, that does it for me. I really don't think there's need to get your face all oily, you just need to get it clean, and start getting those pores open.
As any good dermatologist will tell you, there are no pores in the skin that open and close - for any reason. That was a marketing ploy introduced by the cosmetics industry and later adopted by the shaving industry.

As any good dermatologist will tell you, there are no pores in the skin that open and close - for any reason. That was a marketing ploy introduced by the cosmetics industry and later adopted by the shaving industry.
I dunno, whenever I squeeze a big blackhead out of my face it seems to leave a crater, for a little while anyway.

54 years old and can still get pimples. How young that makes me feel, eh?

I dunno, whenever I squeeze a big blackhead out of my face it seems to leave a crater, for a little while anyway.

54 years old and can still get pimples. How young that makes me feel, eh?
Since I've been working with coal my face clogs up. It was getting so bad I think people was starting to think I was an ice addict. It took a long time of trying different products to finally find a solution.

This scrub is the best I've ever used. It's not cheap but it works and that's all I care about.

This is just a face wash and it's just as good as the scrub.

i never do a pre-shave routine, find that face lathering takes care of that.. or am I missing out on something?

guess i'll be giving pears a crack to have a looksee
I always do a pre-shave (I face lather), and for me it is about face and beard preparation. I don't honestly know if it makes that much difference, but I enjoy doing it and that's good enough for me.

I have been using Pears soap as a pre-shave. It has a very high Glycerin content 998%). Currently using the Lemon flower scent it's $2.50 and last for ages.

Anyone else use standard soap as a pre-shave?
I've tried using soap a couple of times before shaving. I didn't like it. Now I prefer water only.

I would agree that washing with a cleansing soap does not necessarily make a huge difference, but I would guess that the time I spend on pre-shave is time that I save on work with the blade to achieve a really comfortable Goddess Boobies Smooth shave. (Thanks @Mastropiero (y))

Since I've been working with coal my face clogs up. It was getting so bad I think people was starting to think I was an ice addict. It took a long time of trying different products to finally find a solution.

This scrub is the best I've ever used. It's not cheap but it works and that's all I care about.

This is just a face wash and it's just as good as the scrub.

I used to love that scrub. It's honestly very good but terribly expensive. I recently found half used tub that I forgot about that had dried out. I think I paid $72 many years ago. The thing I loved the most about that scrub was the texture. There are similar texture scrubs that are much cheaper that I enjoy just as much. As far as the face wash I didn't really enjoy this one as much but rather enjoyed Jack blacks daily cleanser. I have since moved to using Cerave as a cleanser.

In regards to pre-shave I have the tube, sol filo del rasoio Glycerin Cleansing Bar (They sadly discontinued the entire line a few years ago) which was my favourite, Musgo Real and the Proraso Pre-shaves. Proraso green was always nice in the summer before a hot towel wrap to the face.

It's shame to hear the Pears soap bar became smaller. I used to enjoy that one from time to time and even used to enjoy the liquid hand soap but then I believe they changed the scent and quality a few years ago and I haven't used it since.

I think it depends on a person skin type or skin care routine on whether it does much at all. I good face scrub from time to time can clear away some dead skin and leave the runways clear for the razor/blade to do its job.

I used to love that scrub. It's honestly very good but terribly expensive. I recently found half used tub that I forgot about that had dried out. I think I paid $72 many years ago. The thing I loved the most about that scrub was the texture. There are similar texture scrubs that are much cheaper that I enjoy just as much. As far as the face wash I didn't really enjoy this one as much but rather enjoyed Jack blacks daily cleanser. I have since moved to using Cerave as a cleanser.

In regards to pre-shave I have the tube, sol filo del rasoio Glycerin Cleansing Bar (They sadly discontinued the entire line a few years ago) which was my favourite, Musgo Real and the Proraso Pre-shaves. Proraso green was always nice in the summer before a hot towel wrap to the face.

It's shame to hear the Pears soap bar became smaller. I used to enjoy that one from time to time and even used to enjoy the liquid hand soap but then I believe they changed the scent and quality a few years ago and I haven't used it since.

I think it depends on a person skin type or skin care routine on whether it does much at all. I good face scrub from time to time can clear away some dead skin and leave the runways clear for the razor/blade to do its job.
$72? Even I would have bulked at that no matter how good it worked 😁

I use the scrub every night then wash my face with the cleanser of a morning. I find if I don't use it, if I'm away camping etc, then my face just clogs again.