Prefer a softer soap (or cream) query.

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Had a quick email chat with Andy (Squadron Soap).
He has no problems with me asking on the forum about 'softness'.
I did use Proraso for years. Maybe it changed? Maybe I did? Seems harder now.
I like Cella, and Haslinger (various) now.
Soft enough that I'm not hurting my new synthetic brush (Men-u), plus a new Yaqi synthetic on the way.
Rock hard pucks I don't want.
How would you folk describe the Squadron soaps in terms of 'softness'?
Similar to what I'm using now?
Is there a middle point where soaps and creams meet.
Maybe I need a shaving cream?
Such a big variety of soaps/creams I don't want to end up buying something online that I won't like.
I have a lather bowl unused as I just lather up on my face (nothing too technical for this old Kiwi).
Thoughts, recommendations?
Thanks.

Squadron is fairly close in softness to the soaps you mention, perhaps a slight bit more firm. I can stick my finger through it an mash it around like playdough if that helps. Its no where near a hard triple milled soap, and I can not see how it would in any way affect your brush, be it synth or badger or any other animal/non animal product. When I load my soap, be it hard or soft, I dont put any pressure on the brush, its just a light paint brush type circular motion. I dont want to hurt my brushes either, so I try an treat them gently. Another thing you can try is to put a few drops of water on top of the soap before you shower to get it a bit softer before you later.
Hope that helps. (y)

Thanks for that.
Yeah, it's that triple milled, rock hard stuff that I'm staying away from.
I realise I'm probably missing out on some great soaps, but gone away from hard soaps now.
Just ordered some TOBS Grapefruit shaving cream too.
Man, what with the Cella (Almonds), and the TOBS (Grapefruit) I'm going to be one sweet smellin' old guy!
Now to sort out what Squadron soap I might like.
Cheers.

@Blackie I think you'll like Squadron soaps from a lathering perspective. I feel it's somewhere in the middleground of which you speak and it lathers a treat.

I'd have to check when I get home. But I feel it is similar to APR and PAA in terms of hardness. None of these is harsh on my synthetic brush.

I have a few posts to write up tonight and these will coincidentally include some thoughts on Squadron soap samples I recently got. I'll try to tag you.

I wouldn't be worrying about hard soaps and brushes. They're built for purpose, you can't break them loading soap. Synths especially are probably hardier than other fibres.

Now to sort out what Squadron soap I might like.
Where do I begin with a recommendation? They are all excellent. My favorite is Group Captain's Blend, nice tobacco and vanilla type scent. Followed very closely with Warden, a classic cologne type smell. An Spitfire, which Im addicted to the aftershave, I have no idea how to describe the scent but after ive splashed myself with it, I cant keep from repeatedly sniffing my hands (dont judge me :happy:). Also my favourite part of the soap, the post shave, The only soap Ive ever tried that didnt need something after, like a balm or aftershave, it leaves the skin feeling amazing.

Just a quick update.

I compared a couple of my soaps for hardness. It's worth noting that I don't have any truly hard soaps (yet). Squadron is soft enough to be "soft" but firm enough to be easy to control.
  • (softer)
  • Occams (basically a cream)
  • B&M Reserve
  • Squadron Spitfire/Scramble
  • PAA Deja Fougère, APR Fougère Bourbon Rose
  • Wolfpac
  • B&M Le Grande Chypre
  • Whispers from the woods
  • Washpool Farms (firm without being milled)
  • (harder)

Buy some Squadron soaps. Seriously, you cant go wrong. They're pleasant, forgiving and perform well. I always come back to them if I'm looking for a guaranteed comfortable shave.

I'm very partial to Scramble and The Warden - both of which I own. Sweetheart and Group Captain's blend both also get the thumbs-up from the wife (samples). She also liked Ace, though it didn't do much for me.

The only one I would refuse to use is The Dutch Resistance - it has a very strong liquorice note and neither my wife nor I handled it well.
I'm sure others will love it. It's just not for us.

I hope this helps.

For the Squadron soaps, I have only tried The Warden, and as others said, you cannot go wrong with it. Funny that I reckon is not mentioned on Andy's website as a barbershop scent but for me is very close to what I may remember from the old days, 30 years ago, when my mother used to pull me into a barbershop to have my hair cut against my will. Besides, if you are looking for soft soaps, it is. Much softer than the rest of my soaps (APR, B&M etc) excluding creams, of course. Yo could pick some soap form the tub with a small spoon effortlessly, even with your finger, I just checked.
I have read many scent of many barbershop soaps from many brands so I have wonder how different barbershops may smell across countries?
The owner of that barbershop, btw, served for some years in the Spanish Legion. That could explain some of the similarities? :)
cheers