Review Project - Bob Quinn 26mm in Tony Forsyth Handle

Korbz

Imgur Album of Handle and Process

The finished product
3EiOOac.jpg

Well I've been working on something of late that came to fruition yesterday afternoon. It started when my Uncle who has been turning blanks into pens, told me about a guy that may be able to make a handle up for me. Tony runs Perfect Pens and Pencils and dabbles in a whole heap of other stuff (seems like all the handle makers turn pens as well). Anyway, I made contact with him and asked if he'd be interested in working on a custom cast blank and handle, which he was.

I ordered a Bob Quinn 26mm Manchurian White Fan (knot height 67mm) and received it via shipito. Notes from Bob were to set it 15mm deep in a 28mm wide hole (didn't know why at that stage). When it arrived, I took it down to Tony and gave him a rough idea of shape and directions from Bob. He hadn't cast a blank in quite a while so had to go and stock up on resin again. He cast 4 blanks (2 in the colours I suggested, and 2 in a copper/orange/black) and turned one. He sent me through photos of the handle with knot placed in (not glued). I asked him to modify the brush shape a little (at about 7pm) and at midnight received some new photos back.

Happy with the results, I went down yesterday and went through the knot setting process. I had done a test lather prior to giving Tony the knot, so knew roughly that it splayed quite a bit and was very soft (hair width/strength and tips). He had drilled it down 15mm @ 28mm wide, and this is where the learning began. The glue bump width on the knot was around 29mm wide, and was preventing the knot from hitting bottom. We had to widen the hole a little to fit the knot, and checked the backbone. Happy with the result at that stage, set it in with a 52-51mm loft. Here's a video of what happened to us yesterday.

Link to youtube video (start time 2:13)

I left it to set for 24 hours and gave it a test run this afternoon. I also took some more photos (see album link at start of thread) of the handle, as I didn't think the others really did it justice. The swirls and patterns in person, are totally set off by the polish finish.

Now to the knot. It's been lathered 3 times (2 palm test lathers and one face lather today). For reference, the only other badgers I've used are a Shavemac 2-band silvertip 25mm @ 50mm loft, and the mens biz starter pack one. I will be comparing to the SM. The tips, whilst not hooked at the moment, are softer than the SM and do have a gel feel (even without the hooks). The SM I can feel individual hairs and get a little scrub, whereas this one has no scrub at all. It really is like being punched in the face by a pillow. The density is also quite impressive, and I would say that it is more dense than the SM (26mm vs. 25mm so you would expect slightly more hair). That density partially offsets the softness of the hairs, which I would say are less thick than the SM, delivering less backbone. I could have set it 2-3mm deeper and still had no worries (wouldn't go more than that, it would eat way too much soap). After face lathering today, I'm a fan of Bob's knots. I feel like it's a bit premature to go into too much depth about performance, so will update over the following couple of weeks as it breaks in.

It was great to learn about resin blanks, different ways they are cast and methods, and actually setting a knot in a handle. Much greater respect now for people like Bernd and Sabini and understand why people trust them.

<<Link to Tony Forsyth's facebook page>> - was an absolute pleasure to deal with. Very invested in delivering quality.
<<Link to Elite Razor - Bob Quinn's page>> - his response and mailout times were very good. The knot is excellent

iqnWqW4.jpg

osZyjoT.jpg

Last edited:
Simply amazing! What a wonderful looking brush! It sounds and looks unbelievable. And Tony is local (Brissie)?!? That's crazy awesome!!!

I'm with @alfredus on having him churn out some commissioned brushes for P&C set with stunning knots like Bob's. It would certainly give Tony a big step up into the world of wet shaving handles when their pictures get splashed all over the place. I can think of quite a few local Aussies who want beautiful custom made handles locally. [emoji106]

Couple of muck around handles he turned on Monday after I sent him some different shapes that seem to be popular. Made from Red Cedar and finished waterproof. He's keen to learn about knots (where to source, most popular, what people look for in terms of backbone etc.). I'm going to try to assist him as much as I can, but if anyone else wants to send through any info, please feel free.

14714894_10153764486931537_4015757669760027492_o.jpg

14612641_10153764489511537_8664710342129064395_o.jpg

Couple of muck around handles he turned on Monday after I sent him some different shapes that seem to be popular. Made from Red Cedar and finished waterproof. He's keen to learn about knots (where to source, most popular, what people look for in terms of backbone etc.). I'm going to try to assist him as much as I can, but if anyone else wants to send through any info, please feel free.

14714894_10153764486931537_4015757669760027492_o.jpg

14612641_10153764489511537_8664710342129064395_o.jpg
Plenty of good knots to be had. The problem for most artisan brush makers is actually stocking the knots. If the knots are expensive (like Shavemac for instance) then it becomes a burden for the maker to stock a variety (not to mention the financial risk). One option that I have seen in the past is that if the buyer wants a really high end knot they source it themselves and send it to the brush maker to be set in the handle.

In regards to having knots on hand there are a lot of good quality knots available at a reasonable price. Nathan Clarke knots are highly as are TGN knots. I would suggest that they may be a good starting point in terms of options to keep in stock.

Of course another great option (especially when starting out) would be to simply either stick with the first option for all brushes OR source the knot for the buyer upon request.

I can only imagine the cost to stock a variety of knots in a variety of hair grades.

My somewhat washed out photo doesn't do it justice, but I recently came into possession of a Bob Quinn brush which I love. Gold-laced onyx handle with a 26mm Manchurian White knot. Actually ordered for my father's 80th birthday. I was behind the curve time-wise, but Bob worked OT to get this to me on time. As fate would have it, a few days later it was strongly suggested by my dad's doctor to quit wet shaving as he was put on heavy doses of anti-coagulent medication. He's fine. But, now I get use this little beauty!

sbxpaDg.jpg

Hey, it only took the collective efforts of 4 other members to teach me how to post a photo. Thanks guys.

Fantastic thread @Korbz, the handle colour is a very 'modern' look - a bit too modern for my tastes but they are very beautiful and high quality brushes none the less.

My somewhat washed out photo doesn't do it justice, but I recently came into possession of a Bob Quinn brush which I love. Gold-laced onyx handle with a 26mm Manchurian White knot. Actually ordered for my father's 80th birthday. I was behind the curve time-wise, but Bob worked OT to get this to me on time. As fate would have it, a few days later it was strongly suggested by my dad's doctor to quit wet shaving as he was put on heavy doses of anti-coagulent medication. He's fine. But, now I get use this little beauty!

sbxpaDg.jpg

Hey, it only took the collective efforts of 4 other members to teach me how to post a photo. Thanks guys.

So glad you got that posted - awesome looking brush!