Question out of curiousity

Same. I would suggest that the frequency And quality of stropping would make some difference

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mark I do believe this is your area of expertise mate :)

I go about 14 shaves (two weeks) before I put them back on the stones because it works well for my rotation. It depends on the steel and yes, I'm picky and don't tolerate a sub standard edge so yes, I could easily go longer. You can prolong this if you use a pasted strop too. I don't do this. One of these days I should take the test and see how far they actually run.

If you can believe what you see on the internet, Anthony Esposito honed a $7 Gold Dollar Razor and shaved with it for 30 something consecutive shaves with only stropping before getting bored and giving up.

The Puma I am currently using was last honed in September.
Gets stropped before and after every shave.

I'm liking it a lot more than the Wester at the moment, so the Wester may soon be up for sale. It is incredibly keen, and the square spine is leaving bloody lines on my face, as I am a little forgetful lately.

I think it needs a hone when it gets to the point of tugging at your whiskers, and stropping doesn't help to mitigate this. Shave-ready blades will pass through facial hair like butta!

The Puma was doing this yesterday, so tomorrow it gets a hone for Christmas,

Awesome! Not as difficult as you may fear, but you will need to learn control in both hands, for best results. When you are ready, we'll be here.

Last edited by a moderator: