Question/s about head shaving from a relatively new wet shaver

Ice09

Hey guys,

Glad to be here.
I just signed up to this forum as a friend from overseas on another forum told me about it. Said this is the place to ask as it's a local Australian forum where I can get info on what to buy and where to buy.

So I just started head shaving last year and bought a few razors, but I don't particularly like any of them that much.

My main issue is that it takes a long time to get a decent head shave that's even close to BBS. Right now, I'd be happy with DFS if I can cut the shave time down significantly.

I currently have the Leaf Thorn, Leaf Shave and a cheaper Schick DE safety razor that I picked up from Aldi a couple of years ago (The first time I ever used this was for a head shave last year. Needless to say, that didn't go to well as it was also the first time I ever used DE razor. Probably not smart as I ended up with quite a few nicks and cuts ;)).

I'm probably using the Leaf Thorn about 95% of the time right now, but the issue is, it's taking me around 45 minutes or longer on average to do a head shave, and it is taking quite a few passes to get a result I am happy with. I usually do one with the grain, one across the gain pass, and then multiple passes against the grain in my tougher areas (back of the head and top back sides of my head). I end up losing patience at the end and sort of start buffing (not sure if this is the right term as I'm still learning the words from other forums) in those areas and end up with nicks/cuts. Not sure if it's a technique issue since I haven't been wet shaving long (I don't think it is, but I could be wrong).

I was recommended to try a Game Changer .84-P Open Comb and also a regular version of the GC (safety bar) , a BBS AS (another person told me this isn't as good as the GC, but Italian barber are the ones that recommended this. I probably would have ordered this a month or so ago, but it looks like their postage prices have gone up quite a bit as I am sure it was cheaper when I did a mock up postage cart a month or maybe a while longer, and also wasn't sure about how long it would take to get to AU from Italian Barber), then for an off brand, I was recommended to try the DS Cosmetic S9 as it's similar to a regular GC.
From my own research, I was also thinking about a Razorock Eco or Hawk V2 (not sure how good the Artist Club blades are).

So I am just wondering, what do you guys think in regard to those razors listed above, or is there other options you can recommend? Price is a bit of an issue, but if I could actually sell the razors after trying them that don't suit me (is there a second hand market/for sale forums in Australia for safety razors?), I probably wouldn't mind trying expensive ones if I could sell them on if they don't suit me.

I also wanted to ask a bunch of other stuff, but not sure if I have to go to the relevant sections in the forum or if I can post about shaving creams, blades, brushes and all that in this same thread?

Welcome to P&C, you'll get all the advice you need here.

There is a very strong market for second hand razors. There is a market place on here with many willing buyers so no need to worry about that.

I can't help you with head shaving but there are plenty here that can.

Welcome @Ice09 I concur the Game Changer is a good razor and there are a few others in that category that shave above their price point RR Lupo and Muhle Rocca come to mind.
I am not a head shaver, so not speaking from experience but there are a few head shavers on this forum that can provide advice based on personal head shaving experience.
There is a lot of advice in shaving forums (including this one from @Razor Burn and @Gargravarr ) that a Singe Edge Artist Club razor is best for head shavers because of the added width and more rigid blade, and the Blackland Vector is king of that hill
I think we may even have convinced @CTP to buy one for his noggin'
There are alternatives such as the Alpha Claymore and Hawk V3 also some Chinese replicas but I have never seen a bad review of the Vector, although they do very rarely appear in BST threads so not everyone's cup of tea.

Welcome to P&C, you'll get all the advice you need here.

There is a very strong market for second hand razors. There is a market place on here with many willing buyers so no need to worry about that.

I can't help you with head shaving but there are plenty here that can.
Thanks. Didn't realize we had a forum like this in AU. Kind of crazy that someone from over in Europe was the person that told me about it.

Welcome @Ice09 I concur the Game Changer is a good razor and there are a few others in that category that shave above their price point RR Lupo and Muhle Rocca come to mind.
Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. If going with a Game Changer, do you think the OC version would be alright, or should I look at the safety bar version, or even the Dscosmetics S9? The Lupo sounds really interesting, and I'll have to look into the Muhle Rocca when I get home from work tonight or tomorrow when I have a bit more time.
Where is the best place to buy these razors for those of us in Australia?
I am not a head shaver, so not speaking from experience but there are a few head shavers on this forum that can provide advice based on personal head shaving experience.
I guess you don't need to be a head shaver, as I'd be happy to read any advice from anyone that's used/had experience with these razors (whether it's for face shaving or head shaving), but I guess it would be more pertinent coming from a head shaver.
There is a lot of advice in shaving forums (including this one from @Razor Burn and @Gargravarr ) that a Singe Edge Artist Club razor is best for head shavers because of the added width and more rigid blade, and the Blackland Vector is king of that hill
I think we may even have convinced @CTP to buy one for his noggin'
I've heard of the Blackland Vector, never really looked into it before. I've heard the name mentioned, but I don't think from a head shaver. I am assuming it's quite pricey, but I'd definitely consider it if it's as good as people say. Where would be the best place to buy that from?
There are alternatives such as the Alpha Claymore and Hawk V3 also some Chinese replicas but I have never seen a bad review of the Vector, although they do very rarely appear in BST threads so not everyone's cup of tea.
I'll have to look into those too. Would the Hawk V3 be much different from the Hawk V2? I was thinking of trying a V2 Aluminum version a while ago when Italian Barber (Is ordering directly from IB usually a positive experience for Aussies? Has anyone here had any issues ordering directly from them?) had a sale, but I didn't realize their sales only go for a day or so and I missed out due to having to work those couple of days. Thanks for the welcome here guys.

Edit: I forgot to ask, do you need to be a member for a while before you can access the BST forums? One of the computing forums I go to requires I think a 3 month wait period to deter scammers which I think is a good idea.

I've heard of the Blackland Vector, never really looked into it before. I've heard the name mentioned, but I don't think from a head shaver. I am assuming it's quite pricey, but I'd definitely consider it if it's as good as people say. Where would be the best place to buy that from?
The Vector is 100% FANTASTIC for head shavers, and I'm not a head shaver. But, I have highly recommended to another user and he was very happy.

This is the best place to order them directly online https://www.blacklandrazors.com/products/vector

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. If going with a Game Changer, do you think the OC version would be alright, or should I look at the safety bar version, or even the Dscosmetics S9? The Lupo sounds really interesting, and I'll have to look into the Muhle Rocca when I get home from work tonight or tomorrow when I have a bit more time.
Personally I am happy with the safety bar GC_84-P but the Lupo 95 just beats it for my mileage. If not familiar with YMMV you should look it up :)
There is an Australian Suppliers link here and VSHOD supply RazoRock products, Beard and Blade, Men's Biz, The Stray Whisker and Artisan Arcade are regularly mentioned
I guess you don't need to be a head shaver, as I'd be happy to read any advice from anyone that's used/had experience with these razors (whether it's for face shaving or head shaving), but I guess it would be more pertinent coming from a head shaver.
Another link here to Errol's razor review is a good starting point
Yeah, I'd rather go quality over quantity but there are few mid-range that punch above their weight, even some of the Chinese clones but quality control seems to let some down
I'll have to look into those too. Would the Hawk V3 be much different from the Hawk V2? I was thinking of trying a V2 Aluminum version a while ago when Italian Barber (Is ordering directly from IB usually a positive experience for Aussies? Has anyone here had any issues ordering directly from them?) had a sale, but I didn't realize their sales only go for a day or so and I missed out due to having to work those couple of days. Thanks for the welcome here guys.
Personally I found Aluminium razors too light and requiring top-end blade ie: Feather to make efficient

Edit: I forgot to ask, do you need to be a member for a while before you can access the BST forums? One of the computing forums I go to requires I think a 3 month wait period to deter scammers which I think is a good idea.

Edit: Yes there is a wait period and also a few good affordable razors on there ATM. Perhaps one of the sellers will PM you

Good Luck and Happy Shaves

Hi mate and welcome!

I've never shaved my head, so am totally useless to you I'm afraid.

Enjoy poking around

Hi @Ice09, and welcome aboard. I've been shaving my head daily for about 20 years, though the first 7 were using cartridges. I think what made the most difference to my shave was getting my lather right. Really right, not just loading up soap and hoping for the best.

But that aside, as others have mentioned, my gold standard is the Blackland Vector. I could easily have this as my one razor, in fact I did exactly that for about a year.

I'm pretty sure there are a few of us here who use the Leaf for their noggins, and it seems to work for them. It might be technique, or it could be choice of blade. My favourite DE blades are Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (Russian old stock) Gillette Minora and German Wilkie. I never really had a good time with either Astra blade. But I've never tried the Leaf.

I haven't tried the Hawk V2, but the V3 is excellent. I found the open comb a bit too toothy for my head (thin skin there) but great for my face. I swapped it for the standard SB, which worked fine for me. The RR JAWS is also great. I've read that Italian Barber service can be a bit hit and miss, but vshod gives the best service on the planet. The Alpha Claymore Evolution is another great single edge choice, not quite as efficient as the Vector, but very smooth and well-made. Its only drawback is that it is fussy about your shaving angle.

All of the AC blades I've tried have been good (even the Chinese No-Names, though not for longevity), but my go-to is the Schick Proline (P-30 - if you get the B-20, it won't fit).

I can't honestly say this has made my shave particularly quick. I can get it all over and done with (but not BBS) in 10 minutes (face and head), but not really satisfying or fun. I'll happily take ½ to ¾ of an hour over the process, it just means I have to make time for it.

HTH... :)

Edit: You also asked about OC vs SB. My suggestion would be that if you shave every day, you don't need an OC. But YMMV...

Last edited:
I also wanted to ask a bunch of other stuff, but not sure if I have to go to the relevant sections in the forum or if I can post about shaving creams, blades, brushes and all that in this same thread?
If you scroll down the P&C homepage, you'll find all of those headings. But I don't think anyone really gets uptight if you post in the wrong place, we're pretty chilled here :D

BTW yes there is an interval before you can see the BST threads, but if you're looking for something in the meantime and somebody is offering it, you'll probably get a heads-up if you ask.

Head shaver here. I own about 30 razors but I only use one for my head. The Rockwell 6s is for head shaves exclusively. It’s weight and blade gap on plate 6 gives a superb result. Rarely if ever produces a cut and no irritation. It’s handle is non slip and it lacks sharp corners on end caps etc or blade ends to catch. I just go on auto pilot and don’t even think about it these days.

Nacet to knock down a few days growth or just middle of road blades if daily shaver.

Daily head shaver here. Been shaving 7 days a week for past 6 years. I've tried double edge razors such as Merkur Progress, 34c, Rockwell 6C (plate 6) and Muhle R41. My experience was good however to get the BBS would take over 30min.

What has worked for me is using the Gillette Guard and BBS takes me 5min every morning. I do ATG and a second ATG which is mostly touch up. I use one cartridge for 7 days and change every Monday. You can buy the razor and the cartridges from Ebay. The razor is only marketing in India. I do ensure the lather is well hydrated and quality soap is a necessity for a quality shave.

Happy to answer any more questions you have.

Thanks. Didn't realize we had a forum like this in AU. Kind of crazy that someone from over in Europe was the person that told me about it.

Where is the best place to buy these razors for those of us in Australia?

Welcome to P&C (y)

As a regular head shaver in the warmer months I have transitioned from using carts to the Headblade/Omnishaver then a DE razor (Merkur 34C) but things changed when I tried the Leaf razor as its design allows you to mix 3 half DE blades of your choice and its fairly mild so no real risk of cutting yourself especially the noggin where the skin is most sensitive.

The only let down is the size of the head as it makes shaving around the ears a challenge but for a quick shower shave I like the Leaf. Ultimately though I find myself preferring the Blackland Vector as its super nimble and a cart on steroids plus the SE AC style blades cut more efficiently but its expensive, although buying AC blades in bulk from Japan makes it economical when you factor in the cost of those horrible 3-5 blade carts!

I have tried the Hawk V3 SC and my Stando Polska Rod SE and the angled head makes a big difference as I always end up nicking myself using a DE razor and the trusty alum block doesn't always heal the head wounds as quickly as the face but for those quick head shaves nothing beats the Vector and it also doubles as a wonderful face shaver so win win! DE razors are fine if you master the technique so practice and ensuring you use great lather is important so you don't allow for poor results and forcing yourself to over compensate and ending up like Norman Gunston.

I suggest you try Vshod for any RazoRock/Italian Barber items as shipping from Canada/US is expensive plus they stock most big brands at competitive prices and the customer service is fantastic as many members on P&C can attest to.... Happy Shaves!

Head shaver here. I own about 30 razors but I only use one for my head. The Rockwell 6s is for head shaves exclusively. It’s weight and blade gap on plate 6 gives a superb result. Rarely if ever produces a cut and no irritation. It’s handle is non slip and it lacks sharp corners on end caps etc or blade ends to catch. I just go on auto pilot and don’t even think about it these days.

Nacet to knock down a few days growth or just middle of road blades if daily shaver.
I regret selling off the Rockwell 6S prior to trying head shaves as agree the added weight is perfect as is pairing it with a Nacet! (y)

Welcome to the forum mate!

I’m also a regular headshaver :)

It’s hard to find a sweet spot that works for you. I started with a Headblade, and then progressed to a Merkur 34c, a Leaf, then a Blackland Blackbird, then a Karve Overlander, and finally a Blacklands Vector.

Each step of the way I’ve dabbled with different razor blades and lathers to find combos that work for me. There are some days I have good shaves, some days I have poor shaves, and some days I have excellent shaves. I have a collection of “go to” soaps now that work for me, and likewise I know that I tend to do best with middle of road to mildly sharp blades.

Speedy did a great post on blade sharpness rankings here:

My “go to” razor is the Vector - it’s wide blade “speeds” up the whole dome shaving process. It’s very rare that I don’t do a quick second pass with the leaf though just to make sure I’ve not missed anything. I get on well with the handle, and it’s easy enough to clean between strokes. I learnt early on that my head does best shaving every other day - so there is a little more stubble - but I get less in growing hairs and spots.

I think the biggest mindset change for me was accepting that even though you’ve started DE shaving it’s ok to use other methods to shave. If I’m busy or travelling I’ll rarely bring the Vector but will pack the Leaf. If I want a DE shave but have had a big day, or want a shave where I don’t have to concentrate as much I’ll use the Karve Overlander. It’s just about picking the right tool for the right job. From a timing perspective I can get a 1-2 pass shave done including prep and clean up in about 15 minutes.

I picked up heaps of little tips and tricks following ‘Another Cut Above’ on YouTube. Worth a look if you want to gauge how someone very familiar with head shaving does it.

Second best investment I ever made was a good handheld mirror …. For spotting all the bits I’ve missed

Anyway - enough waffle - good luck…. And maybe post on the shave of the day thread so we can follow your progress

Chris

Last edited:
Another good thing about head shaving, if you have had skin cancers excised, it's a good way of showing off all those scars that add character. :ROFLMAO: After a while, they don't get caught by the razor anymore, they just look interesting. :p

Reactions: CTP
Thanks a lot for all the replies guys & also the welcome. I haven't had much time to look into everything everyone has suggested (Have to to deal with other stuff). Lots of good options to look at (Gargravarr has been helping quite a lot so far and has given me an amazing offer to try out a razor that uses Artist Club blades).

I really just want to get the time down to 15 or so minutes for a DFS like shave. Maybe I need to aim for DFS every day or two instead of BBS every 3 days (due to the irritation).
On days I have more time, I probably wouldn't mind taking extra time. I also would want to use a variety of razors, as I think using the same one all the time would get a bit boring.

Can anyone give me suggestions on where to buy Artist Club blades (both in AU and outside of AU), and what blades you guys recommend for someone starting with them?

Also, the Rockwell 6S, where are some places to get that from? I'm still also leaning towards trying out the Game Changer .84-P OC.

Rockwell 6S and the Game Changer .84-P OC see link below

Hello!

I am the guy who doesn't like the BBS-AS, rather would take the BBS-A or a Game Changer, or the DSCosmetic S9.

I don't headshave, but how the thread suddenly jumped onto the single edge AC blade razors, that suprised me.
I still haven't got a Hawk or Vector yet.