Recommend me a efficient razor

Normie

As the title implies, I'd like to know which razor everybody recommends. I'd like to stick to locally sourced items I'd possible. I want something that is going to teach me good technique from the get go.

Thanks for your help!

I can see you're interested in straight shaving. Grab yourself a Gem 1912. It's an SE razor that can be picked up cheap as chips and the blades last a long time. The best bit though is that the blade angle is very similar to that with a straight razor so it's a good warm up for the naked blade.

I assume you have no experience with DE/SE razors and only with carts and your shavette?

In this case you have 2 options:

1: get something true and tested, which you can learn with. So the Edwin Jagger 89 (or muhle for that matter) or the Merkur 34c.

Both can be bought in numerous places, are mild yet efficient and will give you many great shaves. For me, they also give you close shaves (if you know what you are doing) but many say, they are too mild...

2: skip your first razor and buy your second. Too many options here, just modern (Muhle R41, merkur progress, a slant, and 100s more) or a vintage (Gillette oc, some GEM SE's, a slant and again 100s more)

I highly recommend route 1, life will be easier - and you might realise, that a mild yet efficient razor is better for you anyway.

Merkur 3 piece razors - 30,20, 23C.

Why? Here's my take on "efficient". A 34C is often the go to starter DE. I had one for years, but could only use milder blades in it and figured that's just the way it was for my skin. Feathers would carve me, Astra needed care. Modern adjustable and slants I found even more aggressive. But they were all very efficient. They cut well and went through the lather, not over it.

Now, Merkur and vendors say the 2 and 3 piece Merkurs are essentially the same, having only handle weight and design differences. Mt experience says different. I bought a 20C for the look and long handle, and was smackgobbed to find it very "mild" as in gentle on the face, yet as efficient as the 2 piece merkur's I'd bought. This was confirmed when I bought a 23C as well, and later got a hefty Weber SS handle for a change up. Both these 3 piece razors will work with any blade I put in them, especially Feathers - and let me get away will all sorts of sloppy technique, and I'll still get a great result with no nicks or irritation or skin flare ups.

I've kinda got my eye on the icon B1 oss. I like the idea of having the best I'd both worlds. Is this a silly idea? I've never shaved with a DE. I have enjoyed the process of converting to wet shaving. Just wondering with shave but having them on sale...

I've kinda got my eye on the icon B1 oss. I like the idea of having the best I'd both worlds. Is this a silly idea? I've never shaved with a DE. I have enjoyed the process of converting to wet shaving. Just wondering with shave but having them on sale...
You need to start somewhere and a stainless steel DE is as good as any. iKon razors would be considered middle tier. Definitely built to last, but lack the refinement of the higher end SS razors.

It all boils down to what YOU want. You can get a lot of opinions but it's your $ and so get something you're happy with. Just keep in mind that it's rare to stick with your first razor (as the only one) as you eventually become curious about the many others out there.

Your idea is not silly but an Open Comb on one side and Flat Bar on the other has more of a novelty element to it rather than a practical one. $US125 is also quite a lot of money for your first DE.

Both @alfredus and @Drubbing have provided some sound advice. Muhle (stay clear of the R41 though. Not for beginners) and Merkur razors are very good choices for someone who is just getting into DE shaving and at less than half the cost of the B1. Explore other razors, such as the Ikon once you have mastered DE shaving.

It's totally your choice at the end of the day but take the advice you are getting with serious consideration.

If you don't get on with open combs - and not many do - then it's half of one world, and a PITA to turn blades around so you don't waste one edge

I'd also recommend against a double sided razor - there is a reason why they are on sale...

If you don't get on with open combs - and not many do - then it's half of one world, and a PITA to turn blades around so you don't waste one edge
Sorry Drubs but this sounds like the stuff that comes out of the arses of my living lawnmowers....
...turning blades on an OC. WTF! Makes as mush sense, and is as necessary, as doing the same with closed combs.

Sorry Drubs but this sounds like the stuff that comes out of the arses of my living lawnmowers....
...turning blades on an OC. WTF! Makes as mush sense, and is as necessary, as doing the same with closed combs.

He was referring to an earlier proposal to but one of those combination razors, one side OC and once CC :)

He was referring to an earlier proposal to but one of those combination razors, one side OC and once CC :)
ahhhh OK.

First time - I think...ever -
SORRY @Drubbing
(that kinda hurt)
....I'd add a smilie but it would simply nullify the apology in Drub's books.

So with shaver hut's sale on, I took the plunge and bought an Edwin Jagger DE 89. Also lashed out a little and got a Simpson duke 2 in fine. It's a little scratchy, but I'm sure it will come good soon. And it performs better than either of my other 2 brushes! Had my first shave tonight with the DE 89. So much less fuss than the shavette. Might have used a bit too much pressure, because my neck in particular feels like it's burning a little... Much closer shave than with the shavette, and far more comfortable with less fuss. Very happy camper here!

Glad you had such a good first DE shave!

I actually took the plunge and got the B1 OSS and the slant. That's where I got them from. I noticed that the OSS is more efficient for me. With feathers in them I didn't have to shave for 1 day. Naturally I am not that hairy, but my beard if you can call it, is thick and stiff. Maybe I am not that familiar with the slant yet. The odd head shave threw me off a bit, because it's unorthodox. Overall I am quite happy with the weird OC and Closed design as I do get both! But that's because my nature leans towards unusual and unorthodox products. It will remain in my rotation. Been using the slant a lot more lately. Maybe tonight will go for the OSS instead.