Recommendation: - entry level Western Style Japanese Straight razor

Holiday

from Lanolin
Grand Society
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Hello wise and knowledgeable P&C wet shavers.
A Japanese blade is still on my wish list and I get frustrated when looking on eBay because anything under AU$200 usually looks cheap and does not inspire confidence.
Can you recommend a few entry level brands/models preferably western style folding because I do shave with both hands or would you recommend go straight to kamisori style
I am a bit of a miser but would rather buy one RAD killer than 5 cheap catch and release

Matt at GSG is a reliable source of shave ready razors. He generally has a sample of Japanese blades. Currently, this would be my pick for a nice starter:

Shipping would probably bring it to about AUD 200.

If you are looking for something flasher, Ribbon razors are outstanding:

If you are much more patient, you could start stalking yahoo.jp. Great razors ocassionally come up, and less frequently, can be had for a bit of a bargain.

Good luck! Japanese straights are incredibly consistent top tier performers; you'll be lucky if you only have one in your collection by the end of the year! :)

Kamisori are definitely more interesting. While you are supposed to shave with the Omote (flat side) you can use the Ura side. It’s a much slower shave than a western straight since you take smaller strokes. They are also wickedly sharp because of the asymmetrical grind. If you are looking for one a Henkotsu or Tosuke will not break the bank and can be found in pretty much NOS condition.

FYI I have a Feather Artist Club Deluxe non folding symettrical razor and some Japanese Feather / Kai AC blades that I can let you have for less than that? Can be used with both hands. PM if interested...

FYI I have a Feather Artist Club Deluxe non folding symettrical razor and some Japanese Feather / Kai AC blades that I can let you have for less than that? Can be used with both hands. PM if interested...
Thanks @RazorPlay I have a Feather Artist Club non-Folding and the Focus Slim Al as my travelling straights.

Matt at GSG is a reliable source of shave ready razors. He generally has a sample of Japanese blades. Currently, this would be my pick for a nice starter:

Shipping would probably bring it to about AUD 200.

If you are looking for something flasher, Ribbon razors are outstanding:

If you are much more patient, you could start stalking yahoo.jp. Great razors ocassionally come up, and less frequently, can be had for a bit of a bargain.

Good luck! Japanese straights are incredibly consistent top tier performers; you'll be lucky if you only have one in your collection by the end of the year! :)
Just pulled the trigger on the Ribbon by R. Saito
Thanks for the advice @silverlifter

Even though you have already ordered a razor, keep your eye out for Hoshi Tombo 8000 Kamisori. With a symmetrical blade, they are easy to look after and are lots of fun to shave with.

I own one and out of all my straight razors, it's definitely my favourite.

Even though you have already ordered a razor, keep your eye out for Hoshi Tombo 8000 Kamisori. With a symmetrical blade, they are easy to look after and are lots of fun to shave with.

Been on the lookout since seeing yours. Most appear to be folding and with Kamisori's I prefer the look of the full non-folding straight.
If you ever see one come up for sale let me know ;)

Hi mate, is yours original or has someone taking a folding Hoshi Tombo 8000, shaved the scales down and fixed them to the tang? I can only find one non-folding Hoshi Tombo 8000 on Worth(less)point

I bought it from panlal_0 on ebay. He has a very good reputation on here as a seller so I believe it's the real thing.

I bought it from panlal_0 on ebay. He has a very good reputation on here as a seller so I believe it's the real thing.
I dont doubt it's the real thing "t'is a thing of beauty" Just curious that I cannot find any other non-folding and wondered if someone had improved on the original by turning it back into a full Kamisori

Actually I can see in the few other photos online the scales are obviously manufactured for the non-folding because it has the Hoshi Tombo 8000 stamp in a different place to folding scales ;) (y)

Last edited:
I don't know about entry level Wester style, but I have an H. Diamond and everyone that has one love it. Mine is a 1000, but there are other grades. The blade is a little longer than a standard Western straight razor, just a little. Fantastic shaver and wonderful steel. You can find them around $150 USD on the Bay. The model 120 is cheaper.

I don't know about entry level Wester style, but I have an H. Diamond and everyone that has one love it. Mine is a 1000, but there are other grades. The blade is a little longer than a standard Western straight razor, just a little. Fantastic shaver and wonderful steel. You can find them around $150 USD on the Bay. The model 120 is cheaper.
Cheers @Doc Dan AD required I buy a few extra Western Style Japanese just in case the R.Saito Ribbon was not a JWSAD killer so I also have a nice H. Diamond 120 with faux tortoise shell scales in the den
At this stage I am getting a better edge on the high carbon razors mostly Germans and Sheffields but will persist with the silver steels until I find a technique that works for me

eXwsGs1.jpg

Raspberry and Lime Jelly handles from @TroyTools both 24mm bulbs

This is pretty interesting. Given that I watch a lot of youtube to learn how to do stuff, this video came up in my feed.

The process by which traditional Japanese razors are made by an 81-year-old Japanese blacksmith.​

Thanks for sharing, this was very interesting.

This is pretty interesting. Given that I watch a lot of youtube to learn how to do stuff, this video came up in my feed.

The process by which traditional Japanese razors are made by an 81-year-old Japanese blacksmith.​

I like watching other craftsmen at their work. Every blacksmith develops his own set of techniques that suit him and the way he likes to work. It's funny when I find myself thinking "fuck, he must have a sore back" with his anvils set at that height, but then I'd use a longer hammer handle with a lighter head to get a telling blow that goes all the way through the weld. Or groaning at the lazy use of the cold shear (a bit of jealousy there). But the principles are universal, and his techniques obviously work for him.

That's a nice little power hammer he has there. I'm reminded of the old guy who taught me, who used to run the TAFE apprenticeship courses back in the day when the railways still used blacksmiths (late '80s). He used to have a party trick where he would borrow someone's watch, set it in tongs and whip it in and out from under his 500lb pneumatic hammer set at 3 blows per second. It was fantastic to see. One time, he borrowed a lecturer's watch when I was looking on, and did his performance. Only that time, he sneezed enormously, and that watch came out thinner than a bee's dick... :oops:

Last edited: