Repair small nick in EJ DE89L?

~Spyne~

Hey guys, I recently dropped my DE89L, and while I took most of the impact on my foot, it still hit the bathroom tiles and there is a VERY small nick on the edge of the bottom piece of my DE89L.
It has chipped the plating and now when I shave I'll occassionally scratch or even nick my skin.
I was thinking some super-fine wet/dry sandpaper might make it smooth again, but I'm worried about continued degradation since the nickel/chrome? plating was chipped.
Any suggestions?

I tried to take a pic, but the combination of camera phone and macro don't mix too well :(
IMG_20130102_215538.jpgIMG_20130102_215716.jpg

I would try a very light pass with sandpaper of at least 1000/1200 grit. I don't like using anything lower than that on a razor. Just touch it as it passes the spot a few times.
If that works; you can then try a very light application of clear fingernail polish in the spot.

Last edited:
Bummer!

The heads on the new razors are die cast alloys that normal replating methods do not like so any attempt to replate will tend to end in disaster I believe.

So you will need to be careful in recoating it to protect it sufficiently, possibly having to recoat again as needed.

I am disappointed in you Mark.

That was a perfect time to persuade spyne of the unique opportunity he has right now to invest in a quality antique vintage razor, made when men were men and razors were made of quality materials.
Failing that, it could have been an upgrade to a Webber or ikon.
4/10 could do better.
Sorry to hear about your razor spyne.

LOL, I was half-expecting Mark to suggest I buy a new (read, vintage) razor.
Luckily, Eric ("Mer" from YKW) has replied to me to say that he has just sent a batch of 50 Mergress razors to Lee's Razors, so this DE89L nick might be just the right reason to upgrade :)
However I'd still love to know the best way to repair/prevent further corrosion on the 89L if I ever want to use it again or sell it on.

LOL, I was half-expecting Mark to suggest I buy a new (read, vintage) razor..........

Too bloody right! I was going to suggest you try and get hold of a vintage bakelite razor. Even better if you've got butter fingers. If you've knocked the plating off there's pretty much nothing you can do other than try and coat the area with something. By all means sand it back if it's nicking you. Take a grinder to it. It's only a modern DE after all. Not a real nice old Gillette or something.

It's a bummer knocking the plating off but see it as an opportunity to indulge in a bit of razor buying.

Last edited:
Bummer.

Maybe try sand it back and add some clear coat?

Or you might be able to get another baseplate from somewhere?

OK, OK, OK ...

Chuck the piece of junk out and buy a Vintage Gillette!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know - I feel better now ...

Don't listen to the Naysayers!!! The razor is still more than usable. It'll be there for another 20 years! Smooth it out. Vintage Gillettes are not all perfect, they have their nicks and faults too.

Don't listen to the Naysayers!!! The razor is still more than usable. It'll be there for another 20 years! Smooth it out. Vintage Gillettes are not all perfect, they have their nicks and faults too.

Yeah that was the path I was trying to go down. The material (usually Zamak) that the new razors are made of is not as long lasting as brass but you might get 20 years out of it ...