Restoring and re-knotting Vintage Simpson Brushes

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
I have made the mistake of entering a number of online auctions to acquire vintage butterscotch bakelite Simpson brushes, as I intend on using the brushes and being a novice I suspect (well, I know really) that the auction lots do not contain rare or special ones however they are ones I like visually and plan on using on a daily basis.

I would genuinely appreciate advice and experience with cleaning staining from the handle ridges running around the circumference (it appears to be tannic staining of some sort), or restoring the surfaces of the handles (they have un-cracked handles) would be appreciated. I have had some thoroughly informative and educational corrospondence with our resident expert and paramount collector @Mark1966 but I thought I would initiate this thread so we could curate the collected wisdom into something permanent that I could go back to and other members could learn from if needs be.

I'm also additionally prepared for the cost of Simpsons re-knotting the brushes and am prepared for the cost and wait associated with the service. I would like to learn more about the options though when using Simpson's for this - i.e. what types of badger are available, are they restricted to type of handle. What are the usual costs, and how one goes about approaching Simpsons in a manner that is polite and or usual.

XN8noqg.jpg

The two on the right are the ones I plan on having re-knotted, noting the staining on the centre brush and also on the one on the right.

Usually that sort of scum on a brush is soap scum. Easy to get off BUT gently does it!

Normal warm water and dishwashing detergent will clear things up. Grab a toothbrush and toothpicks and you are set.

To get a high shine some of the car plastic polishes are good BUT ....

... bear in mind that 'butterscotch' is oxidation. Polish off the top layer and you you can polish odd the oxidation!

I would actually think, that the middle one might be worth a try before re-knotting, although on closer inspection maybe not.

In relation to reknotting through Simpson it has been quite a while since I had any done. They take it on as a custom job and actually appreciate the variety and value the heritage.

When I've done it I've contacted Mark Watterson the MD directly and liaised with him. They can do whatever you want from their range of brushes I think. They should even be able to drill out handles to put in larger knots - just check the diameter of what you get first.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the information mark, as you say the centre brush is borderline usable however the one on the right needs to pay a visit to Mr. Simpson. I am a little concerned as to hygiene issues myself so I will probably service the both out of cleanliness requirements.

My initial thoughts to remove some of the patina were going to be an old toothbrush and some gentle detergent, nothing too aggressive and certainly not scrubbing the overall brush, just gently removing a little of the staining around the base or rings without being abrasive to the finish of the handles.

I will reach out to Mark when I secure the lot, have a discussion with him and work out how to proceed. I have the idea that both of the brushes are to receive super badger re-knots but I doubt I will bore the knots out initially in the interests of preserving the original manufacture and heritage of the pieces, despite them being put to use as daily shave brushes. I will eventually pick up a Chubby 2 in Manchurian faux butterscotch for that whole 'big, dense' feel, I notice Simpson currently has stock of them.

Please do be careful with the removal of age from the brush handles, as that's where the value in these are.

I find it amusing that a fault in the original faux ivory brush causing the brush to turn butterscotch through oxidation has caused the style to become so popular that there are now faux aged faux ivory brushes available to buy new.