Review Rex Supply Co Ambassador

Many thanks for the fantastic review @Korbz - now I am even more looking forward receiving mine :D

The DFS group buy price for the Rex was 195USD delivered to Australia.

Great review mate!

You just need a Model T to blow them all out of the water ...

l. I would lean toward the Progress. If you don't like the look, there's always the mergress, but again, you're doubling price for what's still a zamak razor with a shiny knob.

I read comments like this every now and again, most often from novices transitioning from Rockwell's and other more affordable options, unfortunately however they are untrue in that they are formed by a cursory aesthetic appraisal of the Mergress razor rather than from a practical consideration and understanding.

The Mergres modification is not just the addition of a metallic knob, the modifications entail adding extra weight to the razor (12-14g) and tightening up the tolerances within the existing Progress manufacture itself, known problems with the razor such as blade alignment, replacement of the C clip and adjustment mechanism are rectified by Eric and are the product of a considerable amount of time and experience being considered in his work and applied to the razor. I see them on the BST's for around $80 USD for a short handled model, and around $95 USD for the XL - I would argue that this price point alone makes them a preferential option over a $300.00 razor with a questionable performance and release history.

I have read widely that there are considerable problems with the Rex, multiple revisions, recalls and customer dissatisfaction with the product and it's important that people are aware of the issues prior to them making a decision to drop $300.00. I found your opinions on the razor interesting and indeed instructive from a certain perspective, largely they confirmed what I had read and your experience lends further weight to those already out there.

It's a pass for me, product issues aside (rectified or otherwise) for the level of build and final product it's just too much of a stretch given the final result.

I read comments like this every now and again, most often from novices transitioning from Rockwell's and other more affordable options, unfortunately however they are untrue in that they are formed by a cursory aesthetic appraisal of the Mergress razor rather than from a practical consideration and understanding.

The Mergres modification is not just the addition of a metallic knob, the modifications entail adding extra weight to the razor (12-14g) and tightening up the tolerances within the existing Progress manufacture itself, known problems with the razor such as blade alignment, replacement of the C clip and adjustment mechanism are rectified by Eric and are the product of a considerable amount of time and experience being considered in his work and applied to the razor. I see them on the BST's for around $80 USD for a short handled model, and around $95 USD for the XL - I would argue that this price point alone makes them a preferential option over a $300.00 razor with a questionable performance and release history.

I have read widely that there are considerable problems with the Rex, multiple revisions, recalls and customer dissatisfaction with the product and it's important that people are aware of the issues prior to them making a decision to drop $300.00. I found your opinions on the razor interesting and indeed instructive from a certain perspective, largely they confirmed what I had read and your experience lends further weight to those already out there.

It's a pass for me, product issues aside (rectified or otherwise) for the level of build and final product it's just too much of a stretch given the final result.

Different strokes. I see various people that get caught up in marketing fluff all the time. These razors are infinitely adjustable. If setting 2 on the progress is slightly out at factory, someone reducing it to 1.9 isn’t going to make a difference to the end shave. Weight is fixed by either going a short vs long handle progress, and sure, if the long isn’t enough weight then the mergress does add extra. There’s also posts that suggest Eric has confirmed changes to progress production 2016 (changes to the molds) have meant far less major adjustments. I’m sure he does great work, but doubt it would make any significant impact on the potential shave possible with newer progress models.

There are quite a lot of general sweeping comments there about the Rex. I’m not aware of any recalls and have scoured all of the forums for a while prior to purchasing. Would love to see some links to these recalls? Yes, they’ve had revisions which have led to improvements based on feedback and efficiencies (and have also read Matt offering to exchange razors for people that wanted it). Customer dissatisfaction is applicable to any product, and the larger measure for me is how it is addressed when and if it arises.

I agree that it is a lot of money and people should do their research prior to buying. Lots of material around and will surely be more when 70 get sent out from the group buy in a week. My experience is on here in full with no omissions or pre-bias. I was aware of the issues when I purchased and took the risk that they would be fixed if they arose (think you mentioned issues back when I said I had ordered one in March).

Last edited:
Top marks for the review @ Korbz :notworthy: