Rigarazor

Jaco

One of my very first razors, and the only high-quality new razor I ever bought was a Rigarazor. It came up for sale on eBay, I liked the look of it and I bought it, not realising that it is a completely different grind than most modern razors.

When it arrived, I was somewhat intimidated by the size and weight of it. It is big, same size as a Fili14, and what I would describe as a quarter-hollow grind. It arrived with a wicked edge, and with me being inexperienced, it took a while for me to get a comfortable shave with it.

Made by Andrej in Latvia, it's a masterpiece with very accurate and crisp grinds and attention to detail. He still initially forges the blades from either Bohler steel or Tungsten steel, according to your preference and budget. I am not expert in metallurgy, but I suppose the Tungsten steel is much harder.

The razor has been in my rotation for five years now, and not having bought a razor in a long time, I felt it time to treat myself. I contacted him and explained what I wanted, and he was very responsive and quoted me a very sensible price. Knowing the quality of his work, I ordered what I wanted and are eagerly awaiting the result.

His razors sell on eBay as he makes them, it's clearly not mass produced, and he can be contacted if you want something different.

Here is a photo of the one I have, I will post photos of my new one when it arrives:

I'm so tempted by these... If he made them with even a slightly hollower grind, like a half hollow, I would not hesitate. His reputation for superb craftsmanship means that I may end up doing so anyway. :)

I'm so tempted by these... If he made them with even a slightly hollower grind, like a half hollow, I would not hesitate. His reputation for superb craftsmanship means that I may end up doing so anyway. :)
Yeah my preference is also towards very thin grinds, Fili14's being my favourite, but I make an exception for these. Not a daily driver, more of an I-am-in-the-mood-for-something-different.

4N6IjG8.jpg

I got my Rigarazor a month or so back, but I became enamored of my new Nagura and have been playing with them to get the process down before using on any precious razors.
This came with a superb edge but I think I will give it a touch up soon. (Photo by vendor).

4N6IjG8.jpg

I got my Rigarazor a month or so back, but I became enamored of my new Nagura and have been playing with them to get the process down before using on any precious razors.
This came with a superb edge but I think I will give it a touch up soon. (Photo by vendor).
You probably know, but Andrej hones with a taped spine. If I understand correctly, this razor have been honed with two layers of electrical tape on the spine.

I received my razor about 10 days ago.

First impressions: Absolutely beautiful with attention to detail. The grinds are perfect and crisp, and the finish is perfect. Even with my reading glasses on I could not find the smallest imperfection. Clearly made by a master of his craft.

As always I did a tree-topping test, and saw that it was not as sharp as my other razors, but the test will be in the shave.

I stropped for the usual 50 laps on clean leather for the first test-run. The shave was smooth, but I could feel some tugging on the more delicate areas under my nose. It is always difficult for me to judge the quality of a shave right after shaving, it normally feels the same. 6 Hours later, I was not as smooth as I would expect and I could feel some areas of stubble.

The day after I decided not to go back to the stones, just to strop on the diamond pasted balsa strops to see if there would be an improvement. Here is where the balsa police is going to give me a scolding, reason being that I knew the razor was honed with a taped spine. Theoretically the edge will not make contact with the balsa without taping the spine. Well I can confirm with confidence that it worked. I started on the .5 micron, then .25 micron, 50 laps each and finished on the .1 micron for about a hundred laps.

Stropped on clean leather for 100 laps and shaved. What a difference!

Perfect shave and 8 hours later I was still smooth with no visible stubble. Stroking my face, I could feel no patches that was missed in the shave, everything was even. To me that is a confirmation that all went well.

Since then I have shaved with the razor five more times, stropping after each shave only on the .1 micron as usual. Only getting better!

Impressions after living with it for a while:
Absolutely love it, it's a keeper. Think I should order one a year, just in time for Christmas. To dad, from dad :). There are not many of these razor around, and I think they will increase in value with time. Not that I will ever sell one.
The edge as received would be sharp enough for most, but I like it ridiculously sharp.
The French point demands attention and focus, but is very handy in the corners, and so far no nicks or scratches. To be honest, this razor is tamer and easier to control than my first Rigarazor. The first one has drawn blood on at least three occasions, catching my right ear lobe on the first stroke. The only reason I can think of is because of the smile, the point is closer to your ear on the first stroke than it feels on your face.
The only slightly negative comment is that stropping on leather, the blade feels a bit awkward, because of the hump on the spine. It takes some getting used to, and I have to slow down. I am weary of the point, worried that it may scratch up my strop, but so far, all good.

@Jaco, I had a similar experience with a taped blade going onto a diamond pasted balsa strop progression (without tape). My theory is that the the increase in bevel angle coursed by the tape is so minor that it is taken off by the 0.5μm (and possibly by the 0.25μm). By the time you get to the 0.1μm hanging, all is good.

I had similar concerns about a sharp pointy toe when I first started to strop with one. I was coming from Dutch points to a GD W59 Spanish point. It didn't take long before I realised that my fears were unfounded.