Rumour File: Gillette to release a new DE

boldsworth

Not sure if it there is any truth to the rumour or if it has been discussed here already but there has been chatter over the last few weeks about Gillette releasing a modern DE through their sister company The Art of Shaving. Some people are saying an exact gold 'Fatboy' replica, some are saying Tech but apparently will be released in its US stores in the next few weeks, in time for Christmas.
Has anyone heard anything? Seems very strange to me and very 'unGillette' unless it is an overpriced, poor quality piece of crap. It doesn't seem in their company policy to promote this type of shaving either.
Is it just a load of codswallop?

Not sure if it there is any truth to the rumour or if it has been discussed here already but there has been chatter over the last few weeks about Gillette releasing a modern DE through their sister company The Art of Shaving. Some people are saying an exact gold 'Fatboy' replica, some are saying Tech but apparently will be released in its US stores in the next few weeks, in time for Christmas.
Has anyone heard anything? Seems very strange to me and very 'unGillette' unless it is an overpriced, poor quality piece of crap. It doesn't seem in their company policy to promote this type of shaving either.
Is it just a load of codswallop?
My guess is codswallop but if it is true I doubt it would be re issue of an older razor. More likely a cheap and nasty POS that they'll charge an arm and leg for.

Hmm, wouldn't it be easier to manufacture something they've already the design plans, license/patent for ?
That is, if it's real.

The last DE's they issued were the plastic 7OC Flip top things.

gillette-7-o-clock-permasharp-stainless-razor.jpg

You assume that they still possess the tooling for that decent stuff of course....
They could outsource to a machinist/manufacturer for a zamak melt and pour.

A real pity, as if they placed nominal resources into it, they could make a killing.

I think you overestimate the size of the DE market. They're already making a killing with carts.
Mate, I think you're forgetting the trendy yuppie market, who are due to abandon their masses of hair in pursuit of the latest trend.

The last DE's they issued were the plastic 7OC Flip top things.

gillette-7-o-clock-permasharp-stainless-razor.jpg
I found one in Bali once, bought it and gave it to @Drubbing which together with the famous drooling banjo brush I also found at some obscure store in the South West was a "thank you" for introducing me to this crazy vintage shaving malarkey from which, four years later, I'm only just recovering. At the time believe it or not he was the doyen of all acquisition disorders including a crazy addiction to Semogue brushes. Both gifts were met with an almost eerie silence which is what I had hoped for.

This was the response from the Art of Shaving on their facebook page after somebody asked if the rumour was true:

"Hello Tom, It's terrific to hear that you are connoisseur of the finer things in life and an admirer of the Gillette safety razor. We hope you’ll appreciate that there are times when one has to play their cards close to the chest when it comes to rumored releases. We promise to share any news with The Art of Shaving’s Brotherhood as soon as new products are available - In the meantime, we encourage you to consider The Art of Shaving’s safety razor’s."

I see a glaring lack of denial, which considering they're a publicly traded company, suggests there indeed is!

I doubt Gillette would invest in tooling for an adjustable, for such relatively small niche market. If they do release something, it will be a premium version of the already existing 7'O'clock/Ruby 3 pieces razor made in taiwan.