Running out of Mike's natural bay rum, what next?

Question

Sadly i'm running out of Mike's natural bay rum and it looks like it would be too expensive (shipping wise) to get a replacement from Mike (unless there's a mass order or something).

Can anyone recommend an alternative? Looking for something that can make a similarly great lather, as affordable as possible.

I just put an order in. It's really not that expensive even with shipping. I think x2 tins were around 50 Inc of postage, bars are cheaper again. Most artisan soaps are "around" that price for x2 locally.

Razorock would be my number 2 pick and from shaver hut posted is around that price also.

Can anyone recommend an alternative? Looking for something that can make a similarly great lather, as affordable as possible.
Do you want something with a similar scent? Or just a great lather for an affordable price?

Speick is terrific soap and is quite cheap (a shaving stick is $8 at MB).

But I reckon you should try some Shaver Heaven. It's Aussie made (by @Anthony here). It has excellent performance and a good range of scents. For the price it is, it's a great soap! I've tried the soft soaps and recommend them. [emoji106]

Only bay rum I know locally available is Col. Conk. Not great, but not Crabtree & Evelyn terrible either.

I'd try some speick - it's top shelf for bottom shelf price.

Only bay rum I know locally available is Col. Conk. Not great, but not Crabtree & Evelyn terrible either.
The Johnny GoodSir TMBR soap is an interpretation on the Bay Rum (but with whisky and many more goodies as well). It's probably a little more expensive than what the OP was after at around $24 (and then postage).

I'm a recent Bay Rum convert, albeit a finicky one, and I rate the Johnny Goodsir TMBR soap highest on my list so far. Not a traditional Bay Rum but I'd class it in the family. Also the ShaverHeaven Black Beard don't smell too bad either - more traditional though not as nice as the JGS. If you are looking overseas then Wickhams is a great soap and I was lucky enough to snag a little of their Bay Rum sample (since discontinued)....they do a Spice Trade which i like Old Spice if that's your flavour. But back to pure Bay Rums - the one I really want to try that might one day challenge the JGS is the Razorock Captain Choice Bay Rum. I have Captains Choice Bay Rum Aftershave Lotion - thanks so much to @filobiblic - at first I was iffy smelling it from the bottle, but now I am positively hooked. The nicest AS so far....has spoiled me for anything else - including my JGS. So I'd be super keen to try a soap infused with this scent.

Good luck mate.

Last edited:
Ah my bad, i meant anything with a good lather. I actually didn't like the bay rum smell as it was pretty strong.

Shaver heaven looks interesting, they certaintly have a nice variety of soaps. Is there a min spend for free shipping? $7.20 for one tin is pretty high (silly aus post prices).

What's the difference between glycerin and non glycerine soaps btw?

Ah my bad, i meant anything with a good lather. I actually didn't like the bay rum smell as it was pretty strong.
Hahaha! Well, you should have mentioned you didn't like the BR. (Mind you there are many different types of Bay Rum!!!!)

Shaver heaven looks interesting, they certaintly have a nice variety of soaps. Is there a min spend for free shipping? $7.20 for one tin is pretty high (silly aus post prices).
PM @Anthony and ask. He runs discounts every now and then. It's just him, so you're supporting a fellow Aussie wet shaver (not a business per-say).

What's the difference between glycerin and non glycerine soaps btw?
Ingredients.

Glycerine soaps generally slick but aren't as good generating decent lather. They can be melted and re-poured into a different mould.

I personally steer clear of most glycerine based soaps. They work, but not without effort and are t as luscious with the lather.

Mate what you need is occams!!

Light chai/all spice scent and strapping unbeatable lather.

(On a side note in a week I'm going to be selling half a tub! [emoji11])

Mate what you need is occams!!

Light chai/all spice scent and strapping unbeatable lather.

(On a side note in a week I'm going to be selling half a tub! [emoji11])
Yes! That's another very good option. ^^^^
And it'll be cheaper to buy from a P&C member. [emoji6]

Three worthy Aussie artisans mentioned in this thread.
JGS TMBR is bay rum with a twist (which I should be getting soon)
Occams has original and also a lime (which I rate)
As for Shaver Heaven, I've samples thanks to @Nonick and Forbidden Forrest in non glycerine formula is filling my room with it's enticing scent.

Also, as mentioned, @Nonick by sounds of it, will be clearing out about half of his soaps and creams, so it's a good chance to grab various items at a decently discounted rate.
You would only be #3 upon the que, directly behind @stillshunter, who depending upon his surplus stock, will be trading only due to his infliction of SSS (silly sabbatical syncope ) ;)

Thanks guys, both JGS and occams seem to be out of stock for now though (occams is out of my price range anyway).

Razorock looks interesting too, but for some reason shaver hut has it about double the price on amazon...(well i guess that's not unusual...)

Occams is the go - for sure! Top three soap for certain and once you've tried it then you can't go back to the likes of factory farmed soaps and creams. @Occams is currently on break and so you have to buy from a middle man such as MensBiz
NB: "BB2014" MB 15% discount code does not apply for Occams....I know I tried when I bought it last year.

Sadly i'm running out of Mike's natural bay rum and it looks like it would be too expensive (shipping wise) to get a replacement from Mike (unless there's a mass order or something).

Use a service like shipito.com if you want to stick to Mikes and get it to Australia cheaply. My guess is around $4-5 postage cost.

Use a service like shipito.com if you want to stick to Mikes and get it to Australia cheaply. My guess is around $4-5 postage cost.
How can postage be so cheap?!
1) It sounds far too cheap to ship overseas for that price. Just incredible.
2) How can they make any money from postage that low?! (Is it part of a subscription model?)

I think that's only for very small packages, they do bulk shipments so its cheaper for them to add an extra package. It's kind of like how the minimum postage to ship a package in Australia is $7.20. But that probably doesn't include Mike's postage for shipping within the US...not sure what the final total would be.

Well I've just played around with the shipping calculator on their website and the charges COULD be that low (~USD$7 + $1 fee) for a single soap or perhaps two that are very tightly packed in minimal packaging e.g just cello taped together and then put in the smallest possible satchel bag.

I'd no idea they could ship them that cost effectively or I'd have used myself. Larger items pretty soon get up to normalish USPS type price levels but for one or two soaps it's a very good option as it's around the same price as sending to the next suburb over here! Go figure.

Nice suggestion LaP.

Do note that it will take pretty long to get it shipped through freight forwarding services like that, as you have to wait for the item to be shipped within the US to the freight forwarder. But yea shipito seems to be the cheapest one for Australia...(the others i checked all had super high rates).

Yeah, a few good points made above about using a freight forwarder. In some instances you do have to factor in the cost of local U.S. delivery and additional time. However, a few examples below of my experience with using shipito.com in US dollars. I purchase from both businesses and wet shavers.

Most recent purchases. Most would have set me back around $15 in postage. Costs below include the $1 handling fee.

- Used Gillette NEW (Total shipito cost to Melbourne $3.56, domestic postage fee bundled into the $30 price of the razor)
- New Razorock Stealth ($11, but would have cost around $4.50 if I did not opt for insurance. Italian Barber quoted $30 to Australia or free shipping within US).
- New Caties Bubbles ($7.92. Domestic postage was free)
- New L'Occitaine Plisson ($5.54, purchased new from a wet shaver - domestic postage was bundled into the overall brush price of $30)
- New Barrister & Mann ($5.93, purchased new from a wet shaver. Price was same as buying direct from B&M but no domestic postage cost)

Most shaving brushes set me back around $3.50 - $4.00.

Sometimes I choose to ship directly if the savings aren't worth it.

Initially I used my shipito address to purchase stuff from Amazon that they wouldn't ship to Australia. It comes in handy with so many CONUS only buys.

Do note that it will take pretty long to get it shipped through freight forwarding services like that, as you have to wait for the item to be shipped within the US to the freight forwarder. But yea shipito seems to be the cheapest one for Australia...(the others i checked all had super high rates).

Yeah, you factor in the domestic shipping leg and the time it takes for the freight forwarder to stick your Australian address on it and pop it into the mail. It's not that bad though.