Semogue Badger Recommendations

Hocky27

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking to try a decent badger brush. Browsing on TSW I've seen a lot of different brushes that catch the eye but can't quite discern which would be best.

Also open to hearing about other brands as well but I'm not interested in spending more than $150 on a brush & that'd be absolute upper limit.

How about a Simpsons Best Badger these are the three brushes I would recommended for face and bowl lathering.

Simpsons Duke 2 Best Badger for $112.49
http://www.theshaveshed.com.au/shave/shaving-brushes/simpsons-duke-2-shaving-brush-best-badger.html

Simpsons Commodore X2 Best Badger for $81.55
http://www.theshaveshed.com.au/shav...s-commodore-x2-shaving-brush-best-badger.html

Simpsons Berkeley 46 Best Badger for $86.25
http://www.theshaveshed.com.au/shav...ns-berkeley-46-shaving-brush-best-badger.html

Last edited:
Duke 2 is a good price and decently stuffed without getting chubby silly and harder to use.

Mensbiz sells Trumper brushes, which are Simpsons knock offs. Some god models there. The Mensbiz super badger is a good deal.

A good Synth is even better...

m
Mensbiz sells Trumper brushes, which are Simpsons knock offs. Some god models there. The Mensbiz super badger is a good deal.
They aren't the only ones who sell Simpsons brushes in disguise...
In fact, the same store that sells disguised Simpsons also sells disguised brushes by a very esteemed brush maker (who has made several of @alfredus ' best brushes). Just saying there's some very good deals out there...

In fact, the same store that sells disguised Simpsons also sells disguised brushes by a very esteemed brush maker (who has made several of @alfredus ' best brushes). Just saying there's some very good deals out there...

You've got my attention.... Happy to receive a PM [emoji12]

Now you have my attention as well! Cause as far as I know I have only 2 couples by the same company:

2 Vie-Long Epsilons - one in horse and one in Badger - and I regard them both already as dirt cheap and would be really surprised if you could get them even cheaper...

2 Paladins: now that would be of real interested, were you could actually get them, forget the cheaper price tag...the way I understand it, they will not be offered with a Sabini knot again...

Besides that: I still haven't made up my mind, which of my brushes I regard as the best - so please tell me what I don't know yet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously @filobiblic please PM me that info as well...

Back on topic: you can get a variety of Simpson brushes for a very good deal:
http://www.doubleedgeshavingplace.com/category/simpsons_shaving_brushes_n_products

You get a 8% discount with this code: BB101

And you get an additional 10% off according to this post - sorry for linking to YKW - but if it is about saving money, so I hope it's OK:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-10-additional-discount-above-USD100-purchase

So a Duke 3 is ~96US$ shipped to Australia - 135AU$ - not bad these days - makes met think if I need one myself :D

The Duke 2 is ~85US$ (no addition 10% as it is under 100US$) ~118AU$

Please note, that I have only bought Blades from him, so maybe somebody else wants to chime in about this vendor? I believe he is in Singapore?

Another option: go through the hell of ordering a Romera brush. Takes months apparently, but some say it's worth it? a 24mm Manchurian Finest is ~80-90 EUR + shipping which is around your 150AU$ range - maybe @Lifes a Peach can chime in?

Last edited:
Besides that: I still haven't made up my mind, which of my brushes I regard as the best - so please tell me what I don't know yet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@alfredus if you haven't made up you're Aussie mind than what on earth is you're most deepest favorite brush for just under $150, otherwise you're not really helping @Hocky27 too choose a brush.

@alfredus if you haven't made up you're Aussie mind than what on earth is you're most deepest favorite brush for just under $150, otherwise you're not really helping @Hocky27 too choose a brush.

I added to the post above...

Sorry I almost forgot, the best deal (well one of) out there:

The Epsilon 2-band costs ~106 EUR shipped (don't forget your code) - and that's for a 27-28mm knot!!!

Double Edge Shaving place is indeed in Singapore, and is a quality vendor whole I have only had great experiences with. Dr Idiot (eBay) is above reproach. IdiotDoc (eBay) on the other hand..... avoid - fake blade seller.

As for the Semogues, I have a 730HD which is a great brush but has consistently been a shedder since I got it. Still useable after many years, only because it was so densely stuffed. Negatives with the Smoggie is the way they splay the knot from the cup. Great handle though, awesome to re-knot with a high-end TGN. I have an 830 Noodle-Pig which is begging for a makeover in a quality synth too.

Last edited: