September 2021 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up (rescued) a few souvenirs in North QLD while on holiday.
(Except the 3 free shave cream samples from LUSH, they were picked up today locally)

2 x Odins Beard soaps (not tallow based) Eucalyptus & Peppermint (still sealed), Sweet Orange & Lavender (used x 3)

*Gillette 1964 J1 Slim Adjustable
*Gillette England Aluminium

*Alexander Coppel Solingen 106
*Taylor Sheffield THE 1000, Witness (and an all-seeing eye emblem)
*TR Cadman and Sons Sheffield Bengall (plus custom fitted tape on scales)
*Wade Wingfield & Rowbotham, Tenter Street Sheffield, Fine India Steel

All Str8s are clearly in need of restoration.
Can't restore em if you haven't got em.
On the "one day" project list at the moment.
Question for the Gurus, any problem with soaking overnight in "Evaporust" to get them started?

Odins Beard maker is clearly supporting the bearded community at the moment, given his range of offerings at the Yungaburra Markets stall.
All manner of beard product for sale, and just a few cans of soap with 2 offerings to choose from. So I bought both. (Supporting artisans(y))
Jury still out whether I like them or not yet. Scooped almost a teaspoon (I know.......) into the bowl yesterday, still evaporating on the face before end of pass though. Hmmm. (hence the teaspoon, due to 2 x previous unsatisfactory brush loading efforts)

The freebie samples from LUSH today are just that. Something for nothing that the sales lady wanted me to have.
Whatever, I'll lather them up, even if it is for nothing more than giggles.
Maybe they'll be ok, who knows?
7xZkC8i.jpg

Nice!

Gillette England Aluminium - is the Rocket 'LD' or 'Paperclip' - the lightweight version of a very good shaver

My Ti vector shiped today. Been sitting in my US mail forwarding box for a few weeks waiting for some other items to arrive. No GST or US Sales tax. My shipping costs worked out about $12 US express when consolidated with other items.

Enjoy the shaves @tim33z, looks like a great razor.

My Ti vector shiped today. Been sitting in my US mail forwarding box for a few weeks waiting for some other items to arrive. No GST or US Sales tax. My shipping costs worked out about $12 US express when consolidated with other items.

Enjoy the shaves @tim33z, looks like a great razor.
Which US mail forwarding did you used??

Yeah I’ve used the SS Vector before and promised myself I’d buy one eventually, so Ti will do.
Just as well, since Ti seems to be all that's available at the moment. Does it feel absurdly light in your hand? The SS version is already a lightweight...:unsure:

My Vector has effectively killed my RAD stone dead, I'm totally in love with it.

Bang your head against a brick wall if you like, but it's worth every cent. Wolfman has no answer to a creation of such consummate elegance, efficiency and craftsmanship.
I understand that, I've already got TWO!! Colonial SE razors

1. Colonial General Aluminium head with the Colonial SS handle
2. A complete Colonial General Stainless Steel v1.0

Just as well, since Ti seems to be all that's available at the moment. Does it feel absurdly light in your hand? The SS version is already a lightweight...:unsure:

My Vector has effectively killed my RAD stone dead, I'm totally in love with it.

I understand that, I've already got TWO!! Colonial SE razors

1. Colonial General Aluminium head with the Colonial SS handle
2. A complete Colonial General Stainless Steel v1.0

Hey @tim33z , @Gargravarr and @SpeedyPC , how would you describe the different shaving experience that you get from a SE razor compared to a DE? For example, is it more smooth, aggressive or more precise (with the thinner head)?

What’s holding me back is the need for a whole new stack of blades. And also I’m already really happy with the DE setup I’ve got, but I’m still curious.

Hey @tim33z , @Gargravarr and @SpeedyPC , how would you describe the different shaving experience that you get from a SE razor compared to a DE? For example, is it more smooth, aggressive or more precise (with the thinner head)?

What’s holding me back is the need for a whole new stack of blades. And also I’m already really happy with the DE setup I’ve got, but I’m still curious.
I had my first run with the Ti Vector today, and without doubt I’d say it permits a more precise shave. It’s also smooth since the blade is thicker than a DE, and it is also held super tight in the razor. I don’t consider it’s more aggressive than a DE, just different.

I found I was able to tilt the razor slightly and just use a small part of the blade on intricate areas, like chin or upper lip. I think this is a big pro for the vector.

As an aside, I’ve also used a Hawk SE and wasn’t impressed. When I tried the SS vector I was blown away. It’s worth the added expense in my experience, but whether you go so far to justify the Ti, is up to you.

Someone on YouTube mentioned that using the Ti is like squeegeeing the lather and whiskers off their face. It does feel like that tbh.

I wouldn’t say absurdly light. An extension of one’s hand. Not aluminium light if that helps.

With the Vector in particular, I'd say it's both mild and efficient. You get plenty of blade feel, but almost zero risk of ever cutting yourself, and definitely more precise. To get the same efficiency with my standard SB Hawk V3, I have to use a Feather Pro Super. You might say there's a lot of blades to buy, but actually you'd only need one pack a year if you're using other razors as well. There's really only five that are worth considering, as you won't need any of the blades with trainer wheels. Four if you don't bother with the Chinese No-Names.

A day after I bought the Cadman Bengall straight, I noticed the same vendor had this Keen-Edge strop for sale. Photos weren't good enough to determine it's condition but I picked it up for a song. It has a few small chunks out of the edges as seen in one of the photos but generally it seems OK. But then again, I really have no idea how good a strop needs to be to not potentially damage the edge of a straight. It turned up today, with tracking showing it's progress from Adelaide. The Bengall (sent a day earlier) has not turned up, and there is nothing on the tracking. apart from 'Received'. Hopefully it will turn up soon!
WQhYYai.jpg

0Ddt139.jpg

I had my first run with the Ti Vector today, and without doubt I’d say it permits a more precise shave. It’s also smooth since the blade is thicker than a DE, and it is also held super tight in the razor. I don’t consider it’s more aggressive than a DE, just different.

I found I was able to tilt the razor slightly and just use a small part of the blade on intricate areas, like chin or upper lip. I think this is a big pro for the vector.

As an aside, I’ve also used a Hawk SE and wasn’t impressed. When I tried the SS vector I was blown away. It’s worth the added expense in my experience, but whether you go so far to justify the Ti, is up to you.

Someone on YouTube mentioned that using the Ti is like squeegeeing the lather and whiskers off their face. It does feel like that tbh.

congratulations mate.. def looks real nice

Status
Not open for further replies.