September 2022 SHAVING Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
and another 300 of these babies.. they are excellent in the Rocca and r41, and according to @nav1 and @neongas a match made in heaven in the Bird

brings the grand total of BICs to 900 for me, and if they are as good as I hear in the bird i'll be adding a few more shortly (y)

s-l500.jpg
It shaved wonderfully for me in the Blutt actually, not tried it in the Blackbird, so that will be my next shave.

Do you know if apshave G5 knots are from oumo or lanksy?
My understanding is that Andrew Palombo makes the knots (or maybe has them made) from imported fibres as @klinker mentioned earlier. Most of the alternatives AFAIK are bulb knots, and look quite different (I haven't tried the Lansky or Oumo knots yet). AFAIK, the G5C is the only fan knot available.

IMHO. they are the closest synthetic to badger in performance.
Have you tried a Chubby 2 synth with a high loft? If you have and your above quote is still true, I might need to get a new synth...

And what loft would you recommend for a 28mm G5C and what for a 26mm G5C?
Usually, depending on your preferences for backbone and splay, loft could be anywhere from 50-58mm, with this caveat from APS:
NOTE: These knots contain and inherently shorter height (approx. 65mm) compared to other synthetics (68-70mm). Keep this in mind when setting the knot, you'll need a slightly more shallow hole!

And what loft would you recommend for a 28mm G5C and what for a 26mm G5C?
In my experience with the 28mm G5C knots (or any of the other AP synthetics that I've tried for that matter), they are best suited to being set as high as possible, just deep enough to hide the glue plug. The knot won't spread as much as a badger, so it'll settle down nicely to a comfortable configuration in less than a week.

No. The only Simpson synth I have is the Trafalgar T3, which doesn't impress me that much. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I think Simpson brushes are way overpriced,
Haven't tried the T3 but the Chubby is really nice...very expensive and quiet a lot of backbone, but close to a very dense badger...

Usually, depending on your preferences for backbone and splay, loft could be anywhere from 50-58mm, with this caveat from APS:
NOTE: These knots contain and inherently shorter height (approx. 65mm) compared to other synthetics (68-70mm). Keep this in mind when setting the knot, you'll need a slightly more shallow hole!

I don't like backbone in synths...the synth I like most is the Muhle XL...I would like something similar but with a larger knot...

In my experience with the 28mm G5C knots (or any of the other AP synthetics that I've tried for that matter), they are best suited to being set as high as possible, just deep enough to hide the glue plug. The knot won't spread as much as a badger, so it'll settle down nicely to a comfortable configuration in less than a week.
So the glue bump is present? I don't like that - that's why I aborted the.synthetic Matilda project...

eCsn7vE.jpg

I purchased 10 tickets in the regular Vshod raffle (at $1 each) and won the above as 5th prize, plus a $50 voucher which I spent on
two bottles of Fine Accroutrements after shave which are on back order (Italian Citrus and Platinum). I asked for the Osma alum and La Toja to be included
with the prize and billed separately, but Samson threw them in for free also! The next raffle is drawn on New Years Eve, so get on board and
see in the New Year in style! The razor is an aluminium 'original' Lupo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.