Status
Not open for further replies.
Date:- 22 September 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone (Blue & White) Tall Extra Dent Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ L'Orange Verte
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 38C / Gillette 7 O'Clock Black Super Platinum #5
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Davidoff Cool Water

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth 2019 P&C Auction Custom Gold/Pearl Manchurian 2 Band Finest 24mm Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger shaving soap
Razor: Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (5)
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (1)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger EDP

Great to be back home this morning after being in Queensland since Thursday - I think ...

tBPmtH7l.jpg

At least the shave was warm and comforting -

4BQ9JZbl.jpg

Off to SYD today to drive to the Central Coast / Hunter region.

Have a great week guys

8RHfyj6l.jpg

Damn excellent shave with my open comb D plate. Couldn’t ask for anything better on a slightly chilly Melbourne morning.

Like 2 degrees chilly?

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: JAWS
Blade: Rapira (1)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: B&M Reserve - Lavender

Took on a full 3 day growth with a new rapira in the jaws.. 4 passes were required WTG, XTG and 2xATG but got there in the end, results were amazing BBS with ZERO irritation.. these blades are not the sharpest but they are the smoothest I have used. Maybe one for @Holiday to try in his jaws..

48778114507_e62eca2c81_c.jpg

How would you rate this soap? Good or bad and performance?

As per OP:
The soap is vegetable-based, with the fats being a blend of palm and coconut. The scent is what I would describe as fresh linen, with maybe a hint of sandalwood. Low strength and very pleasant. It lathered easily and produced a large volume of lather for the load. Once hydrated, it was slick and performed very well. Upon the completion of each shave, I cover my face with remnant lather for further skin conditioning as I clean up my razor and brush. I also use this as a test of the soap for skin sensitivity; this is where some lesser soaps can come unstuck via minor irritation. None whatsoever with this soap - it felt great on my freshly shaved skin for the half minute contact time. Post shave was also very nice. The one area that could be improved is residual slickness - not as good as those on my top shelf. However, on balance, a very good soap indeed.

Date:- 23 September 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Muhle Synth. v2.0 Silvertip Fibre Faux Horn 25/60mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ L'Orange Verte
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6s R6 / Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword #3
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Karve Christopher Bradley, C plate
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron Coronet Fougere
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard.

IMG-4836.jpg

My old extra hollow 6/8" Invicta had a great workout tonight. I've been really enjoying my straight shaves as of late with my change of lather making/brush soaking water to rainwater. It has made a big difference in most aspects of the lather. If you live in a hard water area and don't have a rainwater tank try some distilled water from the supermarket, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Semogue 830 - love this brush.
My soap
Nice result.

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Semogue - 1460
Soap: Stirling – Executive Man
Razor/Blade: R41/Nacet
Post-shave: Stirling – WHAM/ExecMan Aftershave & Balm
Using this combination for the past 4-5 days celebrating return of the R41 after lending to @revhed for a trial.
Hit a sweet spot on Saturday afternoon must have been the lather as well as technique because I have not managed to repeat as good since.
I have started riding the cap just until there is no blade feel and applying a fair amount of pressure, not something you would generally do with a R41, and it has given a really comfortable and close shave without the usual irritation from aggressiveness. Given me a new appreciation for the R41 efficiency.
cjwqgS2.jpg

Maybe one for @Holiday to try in his jaws..
Will have to wait until I get the JAWS back from @revhed

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Semogue - 1460
Soap: Stirling – Executive Man
Razor/Blade: R41/Nacet
Post-shave: Stirling – WHAM/ExecMan Aftershave & Balm
Using this combination for the past 4-5 days celebrating return of the R41 after lending to @revhed for a trial.
Hit a sweet spot on Saturday afternoon must have been the lather as well as technique because I have not managed to repeat as good since.
I have started riding the cap just until there is no blade feel and applying a fair amount of pressure, not something you would generally do with a R41, and it has given a really comfortable and close shave without the usual irritation from aggressiveness. Given me a new appreciation for the R41 efficiency.
cjwqgS2.jpg

Will have to wait until I get the JAWS back from @revhed

@revhed what was your impression of the R41?

Status
Not open for further replies.