Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my own experience, dryer lathers and sharper blades tend to cause me more iritation and weepers. When the soap is dialled at the perfect balance of soap to water ratio, the soap becomes super slick, glossy with no aeration, I tend to get the best shaves, even with average soaps. I really believe in taking the time and dialling in the soap to obtain the optimum water to soap lather ratio, especially when face lathering. Yes it takes a bit of extra time, the results are well worth it for myself. YMMV.

absolutely, that attention to detail in making lather is crucial especially as I use quite efficient razors with usually sharp blades

going to try this blade in a few razors for a bit

Date:- 18 September 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ Peach & Cognac
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Silver Blue #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)

OMG! The Peach & Cognac has stunk the whole bathroom and my master bedroom like MAGIC, the scent isn't very strong and won't hit you in the face like a boxing glove that you wouldn't even see it coming at you.

This soap is great for Spring and maybe Summer, very relaxing pleasant scent throughout the whole shave and very peaceful.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Paste & Cut LE Platypus shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba shaving soap
Razor: Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (1)
Post-shave: Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano splash
Fragrance: Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano EDC

New tub of the SMN Crema da Barba, not purchased in Firenze but still pretty good!

sg0zUyvl.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Jack the barber 22mm synthetic
Soap/Cream: Ariana & Evans - Summer Fig
Razor: Karve CB SB (F) plate
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (5)
Post-shave: Lucky Tiger AS Face tonic / Nivea Sensitve PS Balm

2 Pass WTG DFS daily shave.

Ok so I knew I tried a nacet in another razor just couldn’t remember which it was, a quick search showed it was my Tuesday SOTD along with lanoville, fine splash, same brush and my timeless

the blade used on Tuesday was on its second use, used once in the WR2 so still newish and today’s shave was literally the next blade in the tuck..

Im thinking it was the razor now thinking it was the lather, today’s def more slick and hydrated compared to Tuesday being more cushiony and dryer..

And what a difference, same blade and razor.. like heaven n hell, amazing just shows me exactly how I like lather
IMO lather is probably the single most important factor of a shave...

Date:- 18 September 2020

Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ Peach & Cognac
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Silver Blue #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)

OMG! The Peach & Cognac has stunk the whole bathroom and my master bedroom like MAGIC, the scent isn't very strong and won't hit you in the face like a boxing glove that you wouldn't even see it coming at you.

This soap is great for Spring and maybe Summer, very relaxing pleasant scent throughout the whole shave and very peaceful.
I'm looking forward to trying mine out. Off the puck it reminds me of a soap I had a while back Stubble Trubble Summer Passion

absolutely, that attention to detail in making lather is crucial especially as I use quite efficient razors with usually sharp blades

going to try this blade in a few razors for a bit
Back when I first started wet shaving, I used to assume my lather was meant to look like a big, creamy meringue or whipped cream. It took me a while to work out that there's no point in having a 2-inch thick layer on my face. It's the fraction of a millimetre that's actually in contact with my skin that's really doing the work. At that point I started making my lathers wetter, and as a result got better shaves.

On a side note, having said how great Nacet and Polsilver blades are, I've just discovered Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow are up there as well. I can't believe I've been shaving for over 40 years and never tried these before. Perfect BBS in 2 passes plus buffing...

#Str8Sh8vSatd8y
Pre-shave:
Shower
Brush: DC Blades-BlackGold - custom P&C TKM 2020 hand turned resin brush handle with 24mm silver tip badger bulb knot
Soap:- P.160 - Tippo Morbido
Str8:- DC Blades The Cleaver - 8/8” P&C TKM 2020 straight razor custom resin wedgeless scales, brass bullseye washers & pins.
Aftershave:- Cella

GHmR6WG.jpg

IMO lather is probably the single most important factor of a shave...

(y)+2 (y)

I'm looking forward to trying mine out. Off the puck it reminds me of a soap I had a while back Stubble Trubble Summer Passion
Go easy with the amount of lather when you loaded up your brush, because, the volume of soap will explode and you’ll need more water to keep your lather nice and hydrated and very slick.

Date:- 19 September 2020

Brush:- Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Whispers from the Woods (Australian made) ~ All Things Nice "Spiced Sandalwood & Honey"
Razor/Blade:- EJ 3one6 / Voskhod #3
Tonight EXTRA! Tipple:- Johnnie Walker Green Label

Forgot the photo.

Pre-shave: Shower/Prosaro Red
Brush: Tony Forsythe Badger (Charity Auction 2019) : It's still going strong. Why use then Paladin when the local brush works?
Soap: Got lazy. Taylor of Old Bonds Sandalwood Cream. Once you get the water to cream ratio right, it's just real quick to get the lather up.
Razor/Blade: Timeless titanium 0.95 straight bar with a feather blade.
Post: Really got lazy. Just used the Moogoo eczema cream I had laying around for the baby. It's natural, aloe vera and works!

I just admit I've grown away from the feather blade. They're always better after the second or third shave. But that first shave just feel sharp. The feather is thinner than the Astra Green. Quick and efficient.

IMG-20200919-183957.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Green Spirals & Transparent 27mm Rhodium Silvertip
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo 0.85mm Aggressive Plate
Blade: Bic Chrome (4)
Soap: A&E Frozen Mojitos
Pre: Shower + PAA Prickly Pear mentholated pre-shave soap
ATG, XTG, WTG = DFS+

Hard to knock the A&E soap base but the scent is very meh... A better result with the Bic but still not as smooth as I'd like. Happy shaves!

Wow. I see I’m amongst the majority in being a fan of the Yaqi 26mm Pony brush.
Certainly plenty of appearances in the SOTD pics of late!
I've heard great feedback about the 26mm Pony knot, trouble is I really hated the colour handle, cause I'm not a bloody hippie and isn't my style.

Indeed. Something that pretty, and at that low price is a win-win. And the pony knot is a nice balance of backbone and softness.

What about the splay from the Pony knot??

I've heard great feedback about the 26mm Pony knot, trouble is I really hated the colour handle, cause I'm not a bloody hippie and isn't my style.

What about the splay from the Pony knot??
I can't really say I'm a hippie either (though I came close some 40 or so years ago), but I love the colours and the shape, but if we all liked the same things, life would be very boring. As for the splay, I'd say it's the best I've found yet in a synthetic.

The only thing I would change would be to see it with a 30mm knot :love:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.