Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, looks like my copy/paste failed to keep track of the right brush. My bad ... :oops:
Been there. Done that.

Xfu13AV.gif

Pre: Hot shower
Brush: TF Woodrot & Rhodium
Soap: Squadron Sweetheart
Razor: Rockwell 6S plate 3 on all 3 passes
Blade: Gillette Minora (9 shaves)
Fragrance: A mystery sample of beautiful smelling Aftershave

Minora blade still going strong after 9 shaves. Sticking with the Rockwell 6S plate 3 at the moment because the shave is so nice.
If anyone recognises the sample bottle of aftershave and can fill me in what it is, I'd be very appreciative. It's a really nice sweet scent, pink/red colour liquid.

NB6gw1n.jpg
That blade display method looks familiar... :p

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ The Trail
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Stainless (red & white) #5
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tabac

Pre: Hot shower
Brush: TF Woodrot & Rhodium
Soap: APR Alfredus Choice
Razor: Rockwell 6S plate 3 on all 3 passes
Blade: Gillette Minora (10 shaves)
Fragrance: APR Choix Alfredus Aftershave

Pretty sure I know one particular member here is going to drop a like on this post!:cool:
Wonderful scents.

Minora at 10 shaves now. Will be watching carefully moving forward for signs it's best shaves are now over.

l9XxxFZ.jpg

IMG-20210615-194327.jpg

Brush: Yaqi 30mm Tuxedo
Razor: Muhle Rocca V4 R95
Blade: Gillette Minora SS (18) - thanks @rhodes96
Pre: Shower
Soap: MWF
Post: RR New York A/S Splash // Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
WTG, ATG, XTG = BBS+

No signs of the blade losing its edge as I managed an effortless 3 pass BBS+ shave!

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Blade: Gillette Minora SS (18)
I'm absolutely 100% convinced the new Minora Stainless is the same as the old Gillette Stainless (red & white), however, the new Minora Stainless brand is slightly smoother than the old Gillette Stainless.
@Razor Burn is getting very close to 20 shaves showing no signs of the blade losing its edge. (y)

I'm absolutely 100% convinced the new Minora Stainless is the same as the old Gillette Stainless (red & white), however, the new Minora Stainless brand is slightly smoother than the old Gillette Stainless.
@Razor Burn is getting very close to 20 shaves showing no signs of the blade losing its edge. (y)

In my unofficial blade testing I thought the same until I shaved each blade on alternative days and could not tell them apart. I just finished shave 15 and I looked at my notes for the Gillette Stainless at 14 shaves. Same feel and shave result. Shave 17 will be the interesting one as I performed a hand strop and the following shave 18 was a BBS.

So I guess you like the Minora SS blades.:)

To think I had to almost beg you to test them.:LOL:

The big question, Where do you rate them on your blade list?

In my unofficial blade testing I thought the same until I shaved each blade on alternative days and could not tell them apart. I just finished shave 15 and I looked at my notes for the Gillette Stainless at 14 shaves. Same feel and shave result. Shave 17 will be the interesting one as I performed a hand strop and the following shave 18 was a BBS.

So I guess you like the Minora SS blades.:)

To think I had to almost beg you to test them.:LOL:

The big question, Where do you rate them on your blade list?

I don't need any more blades just because I like the Minora SS, I knew I was right all along, I'm still shaving and testing both blades into 34C/G both feel the same as brand new from the beginning.

I'm absolutely 100% convinced the new Minora Stainless would rate at the very same level as the old Gillette Stainless. Would you agree or disagree @rhodes96 and @Razor Burn ??

Feather Hi-Stainless <---- Very very sharp
Kai Stainless
Gillette Nacet
Vintage Gillette Aussie 'Gold' Super Stainless (spoiler)
Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum
Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra
Gillette Minora Stainless (new) & Gillette Stainless red & white (old), the old version is no longer available on the market (both are the same blade)
Polsilver Super Iridium (old) & Wizamet Super Iridium (new) both are the same blade
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black Super Platinum
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (yellow)
Gillette Platinum
Wizamet Polsilver Brown Stainless
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Silver Blue
Astra Superior Stainless
Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword
Treet Platinum (orange & white)
Astra Superior Platinum <------ Middle of the road everyday shave
Vintage US Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (green)
Perma-Sharp
German Wilkinson Sword
ASCO Super Stainless (orange)
Parker Premium Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
Rapira Super Stainless
Rapira Swedish Super Steel
Ladas Super Stainless
Rockwell Swedish Stainless
Gillette Sputnik
Voskhod <---- This is the low level, not the lowest crap blade

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Shower/Bloom Water
Brush:- Omega - 10065 Natural Bristle
Cream: Tcheon Fung Sing - Torino Forti Sensazioni
Razor:- H&S No.75
Blade:- Wizamet (7)
Aftershave Balm: Tcheon Fung Sing - Torino Forti Sensazioni

Pssq1N2.jpg

Feather Hi-Stainless <---- Very very sharp
Kai Stainless
Gillette Nacet
Vintage Gillette Aussie 'Gold' Super Stainless (spoiler)
Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum
Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra
Gillette Minora Stainless (new) & Gillette Stainless red & white (old), the old version is no longer available on the market (both are the same blade)
Polsilver Super Iridium (old) & Wizamet Super Iridium (new) both are the same blade
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black Super Platinum
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (yellow)
Gillette Platinum
Wizamet Polsilver Brown Stainless
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Silver Blue
Astra Superior Stainless
Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword
Treet Platinum (orange & white)
Astra Superior Platinum <------ Middle of the road everyday shave
Vintage US Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (green)
Perma-Sharp
German Wilkinson Sword
ASCO Super Stainless (orange)
Parker Premium Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
Rapira Super Stainless
Rapira Swedish Super Steel
Ladas Super Stainless
Rockwell Swedish Stainless
Gillette Sputnik
Voskhod <---- This is the low level, not the lowest crap blade

No love for Bic Chrome Platinum? IMHO it is sharper than anything other than the Feather and it has much better longevity.

No love for Bic Chrome Platinum? IMHO it is sharper than anything other than the Feather and it has much better longevity.
I'll have to check my blade sample box, IF, I still got some Bic. The last time I used Bic gave me too many bloody weepers all over my face, I look like I've been stung by too many bloody mosquitoes.

pYoNb2l.jpg

Pre-shave: Warm water.
Brush: TroyTools Pearl Honey - 2 Band Badger
Soap: @CraigE Blue Devil Shave Co - Lemonwood Sample
Razor: Rockwell 6C (3)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive Balm, Alum Stick

First things first, big thank you for the sample CraigE. The Lemonwood scent really drew me in right away. I don't usually go for lemon anything but this smelt like one of those lemon sherbet lollies (in the best way possible) and was really nice. I love how strong it is. The soap itself lathered up and performed really well, the consistency was so good I was tempted to eat it haha :)

The shave went well too! Definitely a DFS I think, thanks to your suggestions. I combined Speedy's advice on holding the razor, Gargravarr's on the Nacet, and Razor Burns simple 2 pass (WTG, ATG). What resulted was a very smooth face. The shave it's self was a bit more stingy than usual and I've got a lot of practice until I get it right but I think I'm on the right path!!! Now here's hoping I don't get any ingrowns over the next few days...

Pre/Post: Nivea Skin & Stubble
Brush: Yaqi Everest
Soap: Blue Devil Tropical Colada
Razor: Muhle Rocca R96
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (1)

One of my off days. Poor initial lather (not enough moisture), sloppy technique resulting in a few nicks, a weeper over of an acne bump due to wearing masks again. Not sure if the blade contributed but it felt kinda harsh. In spite of all that managed a DFS+ with little to no razor burn in spite of the extra buffing, though I did relather with extra water halfway so maybe that helped. Think I'm gonna write this particular blade off early.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream:
Phoenix & Beau Spitfire soap
Razor: Vintage (replated) Gillette 'Fatboy' (6)
Blade: Vintage NOS Wilkinson Sword (2)
Post-shave: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire splash/balm
Fragrance: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire solid cologne

Not quick so stupid o'clock this morning, but I am flying again this afternoon for an overnight trip!

Crufv2Tl.jpg

Pre: Shower
Razor: Timeless 95
Blade: Gillette Minora
Brush: FS G4 23mm
Soap: B&M Seville

Without a doubt the best (smoothest) shave with the timeless razor to date. This blade has performed amazingly for me in every razor I have tried it in so far, including the WR2, Rocca V4, Timeless and JAWS

51249248192_b4b56218d6_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.