Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually @Holiday, I believe it is carved. It was a regular item on the site a while back.

XkIbXY1.png

Here is a pic from the original listing:

iHzrToG.jpg
Cheers @klinker it's a beautiful brush. If you ever see them listed again please holler

double click test

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Semogue Boar, Maggards 24mm Synthetic
Soap/Cream: B & M Nordost and Tiaga
Razor: Lupo 72
Blade: Asco Orange
Post-shave: Alum, Speedy recipe
Fragrance: Blue Stratos

This is the combo for the last three days.

My first boar brush, and it's excellent, it lathers well and paints on the face beautifully. I took some good advice from people here and soaked it for a couple of days and used some of my least favourite soap to lather up with it a few times.

Both soaps are excellent to use and I really like the smell of both of them.

Don't you love it when you use a new blade, have zero or low expectations, and it blows you away with its performance? I got the Asco's free from Vshod and wasn't expecting much, but I was wrong. Sharp but smooth, very nice to use, no irritation. I don't know about longevity yet, but as far as the experience of using them, in the Lupo 72, they are at least as good, if not better, than Nacets and Minoras. They are my two current favourite blades, so I'm pretty happy to have found another good one, as long as the longevity stacks up.

@TomG, how do you do a hot-towel prep? I've seen a few ideas, trying to work out what would be easiest/best.
I soak a hand or face towel in hot water (as hot as you can handle) for about 30 sec; wring out excess water, then place on face to allow heat to soften your stubble. I keep it on for at least 30 sec. I do this after I have washed my face, but before I apply pre-shave. I use Myrsol or Alt Innsbruck Emulsion as pre-shave, Proraso White pre-shave also good. Some folks prefer pre-shave oil. I then apply lather and shave.
I suggest experimenting with a few variations until you find what works best for you.

SOTD – 11 May 2022
Aussie Wednesday with WashPool Supply Co.: Wet Shaving Soap Puck #02 -“Lemongrass, Lime & Lemon Myrtle”. WashPool is a family run business living off-grid about 8km from the tiny township of Ballandean, a rural town in the Southern Downs Region of Queensland. WashPool have been soap making since 2009, using all natural ingredients with hand-rendered tallow from local, organic, grass-fed stock and is Palm oil free. Wash Pool shave soap is very economical and comes in 180gm tubs ($AU$18.00) or as 80gm firm soap paper wrapped pucks (AU$8.50), which I prefer. The 80gm is 10.6 AUcents/gm bang-for-buck, which is “Awesome” value and as a firm soap it is about 50% more efficiency than soft soaps.

SOTD-20220511-setup.png

Shave Result: WaskPool puck is pliable so easy to slice a good portion off the puck (about 2.5gm) and squashed it into the bottom of my lathering bowl before proceeding with my normal bowl lathering procedure. The soap lathered up easily and produced a lovely creamy, medium to high dense lather with good volume. IMO the lather gives a good serviceable performance, I rate this a high Tier 3 soap. Lather scent was a pleasant lemon wood aroma, scent strength 7/10. The Tech head Qshave felt medium aggressive with some blade feel. Overall a smooth close DFS, with just a few weepers and minor irritations.

🎥Shave VIDEO🎥

The Gear:
+ Pre Shave: Nak Close Brushless Shave Cream (A)
+ Brush: Billy Goat “Picasso” with 26mm Synthetic 2Band (A)
+ Soap: Wash Pool Supply Co.: Wet Shaving Soap Puck #02 - “Lemongrass, Lime & Lemon Myrtle” (A)
+ Bowl: Whispers from the Woods (A)
+ Razor: Qshave Tech Head
+ Blade: Silver Star (Lord) Super Stainless (2)
+ Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with menthol
+ Balm: Natio Men Calming After Shave Balm (A)
+ After Shave: Lucky Tiger Lime Sec CDT
+ Moisturiser: Sukin for Men Facial Moisturiser (A)
(A) = Australian Made

I soak a hand or face towel in hot water (as hot as you can handle) for about 30 sec; wring out excess water, then place on face to allow heat to soften your stubble. I keep it on for at least 30 sec. I do this after I have washed my face, but before I apply pre-shave. I use Myrsol or Alt Innsbruck Emulsion as pre-shave, Proraso White pre-shave also good. Some folks prefer pre-shave oil. I then apply lather and shave.
I suggest experimenting with a few variations until you find what works best for you.
Thanks for that. I've done similar at home but our water system doesn't get hot enough for my liking. It's good because we never really need to worry about burning ourselves with it, but it's not great for a hot towel. I might have to experiment with water from the kettle or microwave or put one of my kitchen steaming devices to good use. :)

Rocca R95
BIC
Omega 11137
MdC Argumes
Don Marco

Only shaving every 2-4 days these days, and today was pushed to day 5. Could of easily used the clippers for the first pass due to the amount of hair but wanted to see how the Rocca handled it so bypassed clippers. The Rocca performed like a champ and ended with an amazingly smooth and close shave.

52067459625_c1f7193b66_b.jpg

I do very similar. I use a large cotton hand towel, the type you'll find in hotels. I'll leave it to soak in water from a boiled kettle while I have my shower. I also place my shaving bowel in with it to heat up during winter (Though I don't do this anymore after I started using a Captain's Choice Copper bowl. The first time I did this with it, it was so hot, I pretty much tattooed their logo into the palm of my hand :LOL:). By the time I'm ready to shave the water has cooled enough for the hot towel to be placed on my face.

Last edited:
... I also place my shaving bowel in with it to heat up during winter ...

Typos can create some unexpected laughs ...

The mind does boggle though as to what this might be

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Paladin McInroy Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co Bay Rum shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gilette 'Fatboy' (6)
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (4)
Post-shave: Stirling Soap Co Bay Rum splash
Fragrance: Stirling Soap Co Bay Rum EDT

Back to the Stirling - still enjoying this luxurious brush

I1trxavl.jpg

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling ~ Gin & Tonic
Razor/Blade:- WEISHI 9306FL Chrome Long Handle / Wizamet SI #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- L'Occitane Baux

Rise of the Empire (including Clone War's) book 15 of 56
51qkexoxBdL._SX241_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling ~ Gin & Tonic
Razor/Blade:- WEISHI 9306FL Chrome Long Handle / Wizamet SI #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- L'Occitane Baux

Rise of the Empire (including Clone War's) book 15 of 56
51qkexoxBdL._SX241_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Long handle! :meh:

piggy-wig.png

Apropos of nothing, today 12th May is International Owl and Pussycat Day, in celebration of Edward Lear's 210th birthday. 🥂🍺🎈

The Owl and the Pussy-Cat

I
The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
Wrapped up in a five-pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
"O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are,
You are,
You are!
What a beautiful Pussy you are!"

II
Pussy said to the Owl, "You elegant fowl!
How charmingly sweet you sing!
O let us be married! too long we have tarried:
But what shall we do for a ring?"
They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the Bong-Tree grows
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood
With a ring at the end of his nose,
His nose,
His nose,
With a ring at the end of his nose.

III
"Dear Pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling