Shave ready straight sub $60?

thisISjoel

Hey blokes, so my extended family does a Kris Kringle every Christmas with a $60 limit and we basically just tell whoever got us what we want in that price range. Initially I was going to ask for an R41, but I think me De stable is ok at the moment and I'm thinking about trying a straight.

Is it possible to get a shave ready straight in this price range and if so can you point me in the direction where I might find it?

Cheers!

Get a Gold Dollar / Monkey from @Mark with a free hone thereafter.

It's not just a factory straight, he does modify them significantly to fix various issues, and then puts a damn sharp edge on them. You won't get anything of the than 'holyshitthatssharp' from him.

Hey blokes, so my extended family does a Kris Kringle every Christmas with a $60 limit and we basically just tell whoever got us what we want in that price range. Initially I was going to ask for an R41, but I think me De stable is ok at the moment and I'm thinking about trying a straight.

Is it possible to get a shave ready straight in this price range and if so can you point me in the direction where I might find it?

Cheers!
Contact @Mark [emoji106]

Contact @Mark [emoji106]
As everyone has said above ^^^^.
$60 could get you more than a Gold Dollar. I'm sure @Mark would be able to dig up a beautiful vintage straight for you. Just ask away...

To shave with, you'd need a strop as well.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll hit up Mark for sure :)

Re: strops, any suggestions for where to start there? What to look for? What to avoid?

Thanks again!

@Mark sourced a filthy, FILTHY good strop for @shavetheman a while back - roo leather. The leather was ridiculously soft and the draw on it was far and away better than any I have seen. Not sure where he got it from but it was out of this world good.

Mind you, if only starting out then I wouldn't suggest that one as newbs tend to not have the skills to use one and end up damaging the surface. I'd just go for something leather, and relatively cheap.

I've only recently started stropping. It's quite an involved skill. I haven't nicked my strop yet but I would not be at all surprised if I did.

I use a handle-less paddle strop that @bald as made me. It's fantastic. It's a piece of pine about 16 inches long by 3 inches wide. One side is the rough side of the leather. One side is the smooth side. Eventually I think I'll paste the rough side with some chrome oxide.

A paddle strop is great because it's one less thing to think about whilst learning the ancient art of stropping.

To make one you'd need some leather, pine, scissors and a staple gun.

I would as most other people have suggested get in touch with @Mark first. I meet a guy from overseas recently that is very seriously into straight shaving and has a lot of gear. He mentioned to me that Mark is one of the best in the world. I know if I ever get into straight shaving he will be the first person I would call for equipment and advice.

I would as most other people have suggested get in touch with @Mark first. I meet a guy from overseas recently that is very seriously into straight shaving and has a lot of gear. He mentioned to me that Mark is one of the best in the world. I know if I ever get into straight shaving he will be the first person I would call for equipment and advice.

Oh no....careful we have to keep a lid on it 'round these parts otherwise, you know we don't want @Mark , you know....

15-big-head-photo-manipulation-by-arjan.jpg

I'd still be getting one from Mark. I wouldn't buy from from Shaver Shop on principle. Pureman is fine, although I have no knowledge of that Comoy brand.

Hey @Mark I believe your attention is warranted in this thread ;)

Have you PMed @Mark ? He's normally pretty approachable. Who am I kidding other than being a top honer, he's a top bloke. You can't go wrong mate.

Yeah, I have, back when I first made the thread and people suggested him. He didn't have anything at the time. I've messaged him again, but I don't want to be all over him, or putting any pressure on him, especially at this time of year.