Review Shaver Heaven Oatmeal Stout (V3 Tallow)

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
This is another soap I picked up in a trade with @stillshunter - my first time with @Anthony's V3 tallow soaps.

Soap can be purchased from http://shaverheaven.com.au/

Packaging
I used to think nothing much of it but now appreciate good packaging - this is good packaging. As is clear from the website, this has been thought about - 'Each soap comes in a 250ml tub but contains 150ml (5oz) of soap, which gives you more than ample room to load your brush in.' Well done!
I'm less enamoured by the style of the label but that is simply a personal taste thing.

Scent
First sniff when I picked up this soap was positive, but it has been downhill since. The scent is too sweet and cloying for my liking and quite off putting after a while I've found. Of course scents are the most personal factor - others may love it!

Latherability
Sensational, simply top class. Lathers the easiest of any soap I've tried and the lather is rich, thick and luxurious. I don't think that anybody tops this lather.

Shave Performance
Slick with heaps of glide. I can understand why straight shavers looking for glide rave about it. Protection is good too - all in all a top class soap.

Post shave feel

The scent lingers and my face feels great and well nourished post shave.

Conclusion
I've used some really good soaps recently. While the scent on this one is not to my liking the performance is as good as any others and better than most. I will try to find a SH scent I like as I think I want to ensure I always have some. It is a top shelf soap.

Just a reminder about my shaving soap hypothesis. It is that there will be some soaps that are 'top shelf' and some that are 'second tier'. As I said, this is a 'top shelf' soap. My guess is that between the top shelf soaps differences are likely to be impacted by other factors, including user error. So I would happily recommend all my 'top shelf' soaps to others on the basis that personal 'rankings' might vary a little.

Well done @Anthony !

Last edited:
This is another soap I picked up in a trade with @stillshunter - my first time with @Anthony's V3 tallow soaps.

Packaging
I used to think nothing much of it but now appreciate good packaging - this is good packaging. As is clear from the website, this has been thought about - 'Each soap comes in a 250ml tub but contains 150ml (5oz) of soap, which gives you more than ample room to load your brush in.' Well done!
I'm less enamoured by the style of the label but that is simply a personal taste thing.

Scent
First sniff when I picked up this soap was positive, but it has been downhill since. The scent is too sweet and cloying for my liking and quite off putting after a while I've found. Of course scents are the most person factor - others may love it!

Latherability
Sensational, simply top class. Lathers the easiest of any soap I've tried and the lather is rich, thick and luxurious. I don't think that anybody tops this lather.

Shave Performance
Slick with heaps of glide. I can understand why straight shavers looking for glide rave about it. Protection is good too - all in all a top class soap.

Post shave feel

Conclusion
I've used some really good soaps recently. While the scent on this one is not to my liking the performance is as good as any others and better than most. I will try to find a SH scent I like as I think I want to ensure I always have some. It is a top shelf soap.

Just a reminder about my shaving soap hypothesis. It is that there will be some soaps that are 'top shelf' and some that are 'second tier'. As I said, this is a 'top shelf' soap. My guess is that between the top shelf soaps differences are likely to be impacted by other factors, including user error. So I would happily recommend all my 'top shelf' soaps to others on the basis that personal 'rankings' might vary a little.

Well done @Anthony !

I plan on picking up all 3 of the seasonal soaps shortly. They all sound great and the performance on all my other SH soaps are fantastic. Tallow and vegan.

...well said @Mark1966 , a great review.
(and the butterscotch theme wasn't lost on me either...nice touch)

Well next you need to try the Spiced Mahogany, I reckon that be more your flavour. I'll bring some when we meet next week.
...though the Illusion and Lilith I consider even better scent-wise (and @SydBJW might even agree with me for once) - noting they are a v.2 tallows (which I find lather just as well as the v.3s)

I've got 4 soaps from SH and they all are fantastic! I wouldn't agree on being the easiest to lather (I'd say Arko, Cella, Maggards, SV are much easier), but yes, it's quite easy to lather and the performance is great anyway. Nice slick and pleasant smelling lather.

@Mark1966 Oatmeal stout is a strong scent, which is a big plus in my book. I was actually the opposite in that I at first didn't like it but now is one of my fav scents. The other two seasonal scents (vanilla oak & spiced mahogany) might be more to your liking, and I'm happy to trade you one of those (or both) for your Oatmeal Stout if you want rid of it. The scents are too low on the other two for my nose.

As to the labels, I find the design quite appealing. The thing I have noticed though is they are easily scratched when stacked but that's not a real biggie.

Vanilla oak is a scent worth trying...yet ensure you all leave me some, ok?

Vanilla oak is a scent worth trying...yet ensure you all leave me some, ok?

it's a sad, sad day when I find myself agreeing with @borked , but egads I do. I so do!....Vanilla Oak has to be my fave of the three v3 seasonal scents (just not sure it's @Mark1966 's flavour as there's still a certain sweetness to it)

Thank you for taking the time to post up a review! Much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed the performance and hope that you can find a scent you can enjoy [emoji6]

So do I Anthony as the performance is top notch!

...well said @Mark1966 , a great review.
(and the butterscotch theme wasn't lost on me either...nice touch)

Well next you need to try the Spiced Mahogany, I reckon that be more your flavour. I'll bring some when we meet next week.
...though the Illusion and Lilith I consider even better scent-wise (and @SydBJW might even agree with me for once) - noting they are a v.2 tallows (which I find lather just as well as the v.3s)

Next week ???

I've got 4 soaps from SH and they all are fantastic! I wouldn't agree on being the easiest to lather (I'd say Arko, Cella, Maggards, SV are much easier), but yes, it's quite easy to lather and the performance is great anyway. Nice slick and pleasant smelling lather.

Interesting. I have Cella and SV on hand and certainly the SV lathers well, Arko does too although I've not used for a while. My, subjective. view is that the SH lathers better and easier though.

@Mark1966 Oatmeal stout is a strong scent, which is a big plus in my book. I was actually the opposite in that I at first didn't like it but now is one of my fav scents. The other two seasonal scents (vanilla oak & spiced mahogany) might be more to your liking, and I'm happy to trade you one of those (or both) for your Oatmeal Stout if you want rid of it. The scents are too low on the other two for my nose.

As to the labels, I find the design quite appealing. The thing I have noticed though is they are easily scratched when stacked but that's not a real biggie.

It is a strong scent which I normally like. I've only got a little left of the Oatmeal as I took samples out before I used it so none to trade really. I agree that the labels will basically be personal taste.

I love the performance of the SH soaps too, but fear that Anthony has a sweeter tooth than me too.

Yes I suspect that might be the case for me too :( Will find something though I hope!

So do I Anthony as the performance is top notch!

Next week ???

Interesting. I have Cella and SV on hand and certainly the SV lathers well, Arko does too although I've not used for a while. My, subjective. view is that the SH lathers better and easier though.

It is a strong scent which I normally like. I've only got a little left of the Oatmeal as I took samples out before I used it so none to trade really. I agree that the labels will basically be personal taste.

Yes I suspect that might be the case for me too :( Will find something though I hope!
In that case, spiced mahogany is probably more your cuppa tea.

Ok, what are you two up to?
...it may be a small gesture on our behalf towards the victims who've run foul of the toreros, picadors and banderilleros...not to mention the other mindless and drunken idiots who scare these noble creatures senseless as they charge down the narrow streets..
..or not...

Packaging

Scent
First sniff when I picked up this soap was positive, but it has been downhill since. The scent is too sweet and cloying for my liking and quite off putting after a while I've found. Of course scents are the most personal factor - others may love it!

Latherability

Shave Performance

Post shave feel

Conclusion

Well done @Anthony !

Great review @Mark1966. I've only tried the Oatmeal stout once, but my first impressions are similar to yours.
I am still coming to terms with shaving with something that smells like I should be eating it.
I've also tried the Vanilla Oak - beautiful warm scent. After reading the other posts here, I need to try the Spiced Mahogany.
@Anthony - well done in producing such a range of excellent products and scents. And good on you for coming up with some really interesting scent combo's. It makes things much more interesting than churning out generic minor variants on a theme.

@Anthony - well done in producing such a range of excellent products and scents. And good on you for coming up with some really interesting scent combo's. It makes things much more interesting than churning out generic minor variants on a theme.

Great point and ditto!

I'd rather have @Anthony (and others) producing a whole range of interesting scents and pushing boundaries, even if I don't like some or all of them, than only having the choice of lots of minor variations on the theme.

Well said @TomG !!

...it may be a small gesture on our behalf towards the victims who've run foul of the toreros, picadors and banderilleros...not to mention the other mindless and drunken idiots who scare these noble creatures senseless as they charge down the narrow streets..
..or not...
Juan exercising care not to gift me the exact details, aren't you? ;)