Shaver Heaven Tallow

don't make you a better shaver, but makes for a better shave!

"A good lather is half the shave"
William Hone

My suggestion, try one and if you don't like it, it should be relatively easy to flip here.

Shaver heaven bring out tallow soap, so why is it any better than their normal soap, or it just a preference thing,does it make you a better shaver

To actually answer the substance of your question ... ;)

many people consider the inclusion of tallow in a shaving soap helps to create a better lather. It tends to allow more water to be used and creates a richer lather with more glide. @alfredus is a big tallow fan and might chime in - there are some soap makers here who might comment too.

I really try to hold back on such topics these days - at the end of the day I guess it is a personal preference...what type of lather are you after and which soaps can produce such a lather.

Another thing to bear in mind: just because the word tallow is mentioned on the packaging doesn't mean the right amount is in there.

I think you have to discover for yourself, what works for you and what not - all I can do is, show you how my preferred lather looks like...and that's why there are those beautiful lather shots :D

It's funny, I've been a big advocate for tallow as, up until 2 months ago, my top 5 included 4 tallow soaps (SH was the only non-tallow). Now Jabonman has taken top spot and Beaver Woodwright is in a solid 5th (both non-tallow).

That's not to say there aren't many other great non-tallow soaps, but as @alfredus mentioned, it's down to personal preference. The reason I love tallow, is the residual glide. I'll finish a pass, spread the lather spots remaining on my face with dry hands, then wet my hands and rub them over my face. The glide I feel when that water hits, is a brilliant undercoat for the next pass and delivers a much better shave for me (generally speaking).

Everyone has different shaving technique/hardware and that will mean that they have priorities for soap qualities. And ingredients alone do not mean a soap will be great :) my 2c anyway

Personally I don't care if there is tallow in there or not. What I care about is performance and in my limited experience, the best performing soaps (under my criteria of what good performance is) have all had tallow as a major ingredient.

As to SH, in my experience, the Tallow soaps give a thicker, more dense lather which gives better glide (slickness) which is longer lasting. These are paramount to me. I find the "face feel" and post shave feel are better too.

@David7307 if you would like a sample of either SH tallow, or vegan, or both, send me a PM and I will be happy to send you some free of charge.

Im guessing the budget soaps like arko, derby, prorasso, etc don't use tallow? What do they use instead?

Argo uses tallow. As do lots of cheaper soaps.

In my very limited experience I have found that it's the soap maker, and not the ingredients, that matter.
I have non-tallow soaps that are outstanding (Saponificio Varesino, MdC, LPL) as well as tallow soaps that are not top notch. and vice -versa.

Agreed @Psmith. There are tallow soaps that are very good and others that are bad. Some like the different performance it provides while others prefer different formulations.

I'm in the camp that can't really tell the difference.