Shaving places around Sydney

howea

There seems to be a lack of shaving suppliers in Sydney ... apart from the Shaver Shop, which I notice now sells the MicroTouch One :-b

In Auburn you can get some Turkish shaving suppies like ARKO!!! from the Gima store (on Queen St).
There are also a few barbers that will peel, burn, pummel your face, Turkish style.
"Sakaraya", in the Auburn shopping village arcade, does the full treatment for under 40 bucks (including haircut). I think the shave alone is something like $16.

Anyone else know any places that may have useful shaving bits and pieces around Sydney?

In Sydney...

1) Barber & Hairdressing Supply (in Belmore)

2) Turnleys Hairdressing Supplies
- Dymock's Building (city)
- 17 East Street, Granville

There are some high end barbers that will give you a shave in the city and close surrounds (like Newtown).

Never visited any of these but here are the high end barbers.

Old School Barber shops

Sterling Hairdressing Parlour & Barber Shop – Surry Hills
The boys from Porteno and Shady Pines often get a cut and comb here. It’s a 50s hairdressing experience – from cuts and clippers to cut-throat razor, shave cream, pomade, Brylcreem, talc brush.
sterlinghair.blogspot.com.au

The Chop Shop – Kings Cross & Bondi
Their unique style is influenced by hotrods and the art of tattoo.
thechopshops.com

Ziggy’s Barber Shop – Darlinghurst
Modern old school barber shop (for ladies and gents) with a twist.
ziggysbarbersalon.com.au

Hawleywood’s – Newtown
Cuts, shaves and shines. Originally from the US, they have opened a shop in Newtown.
hawleywoods.com
432 King Street
Newtown, Sydney NSW 2042
+612 9557-6290
Hours: 10AM to 7PM Tue to Sat, 12PM to 5PM Sun

Grand Royal Barbers – Darlinghurst & City
Barber’s chairs from the 1940s and other barbershop memorabilia passed down from Steve’s great, great grandfather.
grandroyalbarbers.com.au

Face of Man
Shop 111 / 113, Level 2, Strand Arcade, 412 - 414 George St, Sydney, NSW - Telephone: 02 9232 7138
[emoji830] Truefitt & Hill
[emoji830] Art of Shaving
[emoji830] eShave - razors, brushes, creams etc.
[emoji830] Proper old-style barber for a real shave (Thu-Sat).

^^ filos the boots on the ground. Bricks and mortar is fighting a loosing battle though. At very best these places would have limited range.

Himage.com.au
Mensbiz.com.au
Shaverhut.com.au

Etc have huge range, fast postage, free returns, free postage if you get a bit.

Not much of an 'experience' but can't beat the convenience and choice.

Exactly what NtK said ^^^. Best (= cheapest & biggest range) is online.

If a store in Sydney had the range the online guys do I'd be in with a grin. It's sure good to smell before you buy

Still, it's good to go into a store and have a sticky beak at the merchandise and sniff at the smells of some of the soaps.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I asked the guys at Mensbiz if they were thinking about opening a store in Sydney, or anywhere outside of Melbourne but haven't heard from them. (Are they present here at P&C?!? It would be terrific if they had the level of engagement that other vendors have.)

Those barber supply ships have a very limited range, but it's better than naught. Then you get the higher end that see it as an exclusive niche and want to charge the earth...

L1/8 Spring Street
Sydney, NSW
T: 02 9231 5999
E: info@detailformen.com
W: http://www.detailformen.com/

http://www.detailformen.com/facebook-andrew/
Complimentary haircut (book a shave at the same time if so inclined)

The lady that does the cut throat shaves is quite interesting to talk with and very welcoming and accommodating of those that are not corporate suits, as it breaks the monotony. (I hope that you're reading this as not just a guest, yet a member)

Executive Shave45
  • hot towel
  • prep with shave oil and lather
  • shave with straight blade
  • post shave balm
  • moisturise

If I had an old fashioned barber shop I would try carry a lot of shaving supplies, especially the artisan stuff.
Personally, I would probably spring for a haircut/shave when picking up some nice soap.

I do the same at the Auburn Barber, except I first go for the haircut/shave then usually pick up an aftershave/styptic matches etc.
There is also some nice Food nearby :p