Should i try Proraso?

Question

My first shaving soap was Cella and while it was decent, i found it much easier to lather with hard soaps like Mikes or Rustic Shaving Soap and all the hard soaps that I have tried so far gave me a much better shave IMHO.

I've heard Proraso is pretty similar to Cella, but I was wondering whether i should give the Proraso white a try...thoughts?

Yea, ive heard good things about the Proraso line, but my concern is that if I didn't really like Cella, i won't like the Proraso and will be stuck with a 150ml tub afterwards.

Edit : Hmm, i'm guessing they don't have small sample sizes available to try?

If you have mastered Mike's - there is not much out there than can make you happy IMO

Stirling
Mystic Water

And maybe the new wave of British Heavy Metal Tallow soaps

Yea, ive heard good things about the Proraso line, but my concern is that if I didn't really like Cella, i won't like the Proraso and will be stuck with a 150ml tub afterwards.

Edit : Hmm, i'm guessing they don't have small sample sizes available to try?

No samples. Cella and Proraso couldn't be any more different, one is a putty-like soap and the other is a firm cream with menthol.

No samples. Cella and Proraso couldn't be any more different, one is a putty-like soap and the other is a firm cream with menthol.

Its just that ive seen proraso and cella compared pretty often, although that might just be because they are pretty common affordable soaps.

One thing im confused about is why Proraso is called a soap if its more of a cream...or is it just a marketing thing?

Its just that ive seen proraso and cella compared pretty often, although that might just be because they are pretty common affordable soaps.

One thing im confused about is why Proraso is called a soap if its more of a cream...or is it just a marketing thing?

They have an actual cream as well, which is really creamy...and comes in a tube.

And you are absolutely right, they are often mentioned because they are every where available and cheap.

I used Cella ones - had a horrible skin reaction to it. I used to have Proraso in the Den at the very early stages. It is OK - but you have Mike's - that's for me like comparing a small Toyota with a Tesla

Cella and Proraso are the two staples. Everyone should have used them in my view - but there is no rationale basis for that, it is merely a rite of passage type thing.

Proraso is available as a cream in a tube as has been mentioned but the 'classic' is the soap, most particularly the original Eucalyptus and Menthol.

Like Cella the Proraso soap is an Italian style soft soap or 'croap' as it is sometimes called. The scents are very different (almond/marzipan v eucalyptus and menthol) but they are the two pillars of the mass produced Italian soap market and barber shops everywhere.

Must get the Cella in action tomorrow!

Well, more like I had mikes. Used it up and am now using Rustic shaving soap that someone here sold me.

Shipping cost is the real killer for me when looking to buy artisan soaps unfortunately.

You know, given the silly postage rules here in Australia where there is a huge jump in postage prices once you exceed 20mm thickness, the barrier seems to be thickness of the soap rather than size or weight...if someone could come up with a soap that was just 20mm thick, that would drop shipping charges dramatically...

Of course that be a pretty large soap and be more like a sheet of soap.

The Stray Whisker has plenty of world class soaps to choose from,but if you want to try Proraso,Shaver Heaven has very competitive prices,plus you can try some scratch n dent soaps from them all for approx $7.95 postage.
Bay Rum Aust has 2 sample tubes of Proraso cream for $4 plus postage,plus a good selection of a/s and other goodies to choose from
Also,your local Coles has Nivea shave cream from Germany for $5,an absolute bargain.

Do you want to try the cream of the croap?
I could potentially let go of a half tub of the soap or a nearly new (old stock) original formula cream.

The only problem is that postage might not make it viable to do.

Ah yea, postage would definately make it an issue. It's okay, I was just wondeirng if i should get a tub of Proraso white when i got my blades from shaivng market at the same time, but 150ml is too much to try if I'm not sure if I will like it.

Coles has Nivea cream? Anyone tried it before?

Proraso Red has been very good for me with a straight razor, which I was quite surprised with actually as my needs for a straight razor shave are different to an SE shave. It is not overly expensive and if you transfer it to a resealable bigger tub it is even better for loading the brush.

My first shaving soap was Cella and while it was decent, i found it much easier to lather with hard soaps like Mikes or Rustic Shaving Soap and all the hard soaps that I have tried so far gave me a much better shave IMHO.

I've heard Proraso is pretty similar to Cella, but I was wondering whether i should give the Proraso white a try...thoughts?

Honestly...no! Skip Proraso and choose something else.

Proraso was a huge let down for me. The scent did nothing for me, and the performance was very average.

Proraso is a good affordable option, I've had the White, red & green soaps the red & blue cream and got my young lad the red in a can.
I also have the White aftershave balm, that my young has claimed and taken with him interstate since I wouldn't let him take my Treufitt and Hill AS's
All are good the whites are great for sensitive skins

Last edited by a moderator:
YES!

Proraso is a rite of passage :)

You mean ARKO! :)

Brave man ... ;)

Me too I got the Arko shave stick when I bought my brother a Merkur 23C as his travel razor, suddenly he said can I also have the Arko shave stick as well and I said sure because the Arko doesn't cost me a single dime thanks too @King of Authentic Shave ;)