Simpson

pablo_h

Drubbing and mark1966 are on the simpson badger brush band wagon and my interest has been piqued.
Not one to follow trends I'm not considering a chubby or whatever.
But has anyone ever owned or seen reviews of the colonel (standard) or the 2 band super badger variant the ehsan?

Last edited:
Drubbing and mark1966 are on the simpson badger brush band wagon and my interest has been piqued.
Not one to follow trends I'm not considering a chubby or whatever.
But has anyone ever owned or seen reviews of the colonel (standard) or the 2 band super badger variant the ehsan?

LOL - it is Drubbing's fault!

When I was in the US at Christmas I IGNORED the Simpson brushes at Pasteur Pharmacy but given the chance to hold them and look before purchasing it jsut seemed too good an opportunity to miss. Anyway - the Chubby seems to be a SBAD killer so I will stop before I start (although that milk churn looks nice.....)

Drubbing and mark1966 are on the simpson badger brush band wagon and my interest has been piqued....Not one to follow trends............

You just contradicted yourself there!

I thought the Chubby was one of the most valued Simpson brushes out there. I'm sure there's a reason for it although personally I think almost anything bigger than a Wee Scot in any badger hair is too big. They quickly just turn in to lifeless, floppy mops. If you want to buck the trend and be a rebel get the Wee.

I thought the Chubby was one of the most valued Simpson brushes out there. I'm sure there's a reason for it although personally I think almost anything bigger than a Wee Scot in any badger hair is too big. They quickly just turn in to lifeless, floppy mops. If you want to buck the trend and be a rebel get the Wee.

I can't help on the Colonel, but the Chub is anything but floppy Pj. It does soften at the tips a bit, but it's very dense, so there's no real room to flop out. I think you'd be hard pushed to find a better badger when it's motoring, it's just getting it started/loaded right that I find finnicky.

FWIW, I asked Mark@simmos what he'd consider a good inbetweener from the Berk to the Chub, as the Berk is a bit soft and the Chub can still be un-user friendly. His first suggestion was stick with the Chub for a couple of months, and the other was the Commodore X2, which so happens to cost the same as a Colonel.

Maybe floppy is the wrong description. Unresponsive, no feedback compared to boar or boar badger. If you use more pressure with a boar or boar badger you can feel it on your face. With a badger that's over 40mm in my experience all that happens with more pressure is the brush splaying over your face and dripping lather everywhere. A big mop basically. I like digging them in to my face. And that doesn't work very well with any badger I've got that's bigger than the Wee. Anyhow this is way off topic now.

:p
I probably won't follow through, just interested in hearing about a brush that's never been mentioned before anywhere I normally look.

I've got a Chubby, I've got a Chubby, I've got a Chubby!

Sorry to hijack thread.

Was in Pasteur Pharmacy today - got myself a Chubby 1 in Best.

I decided to bite the bullet and cure my SBAD before it starts.

Nice one. You didn't have to fly all the way to the US to get one. Just order it online like the rest of us schmucks.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous Drubbing. I know you've once flown out yourself just to acquire a headphone. You're now sending others out to get stuff for you? Tell us who you really are!

This is ridiculous Drubbing. I know you've once flown out yourself just to acquire a headphone. You're now sending others out to get stuff for you? Tell us who you really are!

I can't say. But I have recently put down a substantial down payment on a Skull Island Lair.

I've been using a colonel for about a month now. It has plenty of backbone but is incredibly soft. I find the best results are face lathering, but it can whip up a good bowl lather too. I was initially a little "meh" with it but I think I just expected too much and underrated my Omega that I was using. The colonel is a great brush.

Nice one. You didn't have to fly all the way to the US to get one. Just order it online like the rest of us schmucks.

What! You are tellinig me I can get these delivered to me? Now you tell me :confused:

I wasa over here at Christmas on a family holiday and saw all the Simpsons but wasn't interested. When Drubbing piqued my interest in a Simpson I wanted to actually hold one before committing so since I was coming back to NYC for work I thought I'd come back to Pasteur's and see them in the flesh.

Interesting selection. A couple of Chubby in 1, 2, 3, Persian Jar, Polo, KeyHole, Duke Colonel, 56, Case but no Milk Churn.

The first chubby I looked at had a high loft, I opened a second one and it was seriously half a centimetre shorter in loft but seeming to have a much wider knot. Very much hand made and variable.

That's good. Most would start hacking in to Simpson's supposed lack of quality control procedures.

I like that. They're not the same, they're not all perfect. It's impossible to turn out a handmade product dead on spec with those sorts of materials, every single time. Perhaps easier with boar, as the hair is a bit thicker and more uniform.

So they're all truly unique. Course some won't like that, and want just what it says on the box. So for those people, superiorshave list exact dimensions of their stock and price accordingly. I'd be surprised if the differences Mark's seen are really that big going on SS listed specs - shape and the 'twist' of the knot can make very similar specced brushes look quite different in size.

I've no idea if my two are 'on spec', but it doesn't really matter, they're both excellent.

But if there's a problem, they'll sort it and they've proved that many times. You can't ask fairer than that. And unlike some, you can find them, talk to them and deal with them if you need to.

Their CEO get marks deducted for having lived in Mindarie, but you can't have everything...

I like that. They're not the same, they're not all perfect.

Ditto for me - bespoke is great!

I'd be surprised if the differences Mark's seen are really that big going on SS listed specs - shape and the 'twist' of the knot can make very similar specced brushes look quite different in size.

I didn't do any sceientific testing but holding them next to each other if they both didn't have Chubby 1 written on them and the same handle I would have thought that they were different brushes. Bother were dense but the 'shorter' one definitely denser. The taller one was noticeable so - 5mm? Maybe not but at least 3 or 4. The width was less variable.

Bother were dense but the 'shorter' one definitely denser. The taller one was noticeable so - 5mm? Maybe not but at least 3 or 4. The width was less variable.
Fair enough. There's no substitute for holding and looking over a few to find one that catches your eye most. Some people would like to be able to get hold of a slighly taller and less dense Chub :laugh:

Last edited: