So... What was your sabattical fail?

Arnold J Rimmer

2017 Sabbatical Fail
Artisan Producer
There are now a few of us with the nice yellow banner for 2017.

For me, I was in Renmark SA, driving back home from a roadtrip to Perth. I wandered in to the local Antique shop, who had a dozen or so straight razors, with maybe 4 or 5 worth a further look.

But it was this one that stood out:

3UHmgvf.jpg

On it, was this writing:

i8Q812X.jpg

I would love to find out more, like what was Lawrence's (I'm guessing a Barber's shop), when was it around, and when would this blade have likely to have been made.

For me, I was in Renmark SA, driving back home from a roadtrip to Perth. I wandered in to the local Antique shop, who had a dozen or so straight razors, with maybe 4 or 5 worth a further look.

3UHmgvf.jpg

On it, was this writing:

i8Q812X.jpg

I would love to find out more, like what was Lawrence's (I'm guessing a Barber's shop), when was it around, and when would this blade have likely to have been made.

Mate that definitely worth it

3UHmgvf.jpg

On it, was this writing:

i8Q812X.jpg

Grand Hotel and Tobacco Box Shops -

0001-1_1.jpg

Special Quality, Bengall Razors, Specially Manufactured for Lawrence's

Not yet. Even a broken stone didn't do it.

I love Renmark! I have some found some great treasures there! I have bought three great old rifles at the Renmark gun shop, including the most magnificent Martini I have ever seen! And my wife... that bloody antique shop... let's just say it would have been easier to buy the shop and move in! But no... we had to bring back half their stock in the Mazda 3! She dared to say, "Next time, can we bring the ute?"

It is a great little shop. Last time through for me was 2008. I remember some of the old pump-style flyspray cans from my childhood. No purchase back then, though.

Who else has the fail? What was it for?

It is a great little shop. Last time through for me was 2008. I remember some of the old pump-style flyspray cans from my childhood. No purchase back then, though.

Who else has the fail? What was it for?

2008? You need to get away more! On the way to Renmark you can stop at Nuriootpa and down a few bottles of plonk. Not as good as Hunter Valley plonk, I'm told... but apparently still drinkable. Or it was when I was a boozer!

I don't know what the fail thing is for. If, as I suspect, it shows a bloke can't go a year without buying razors and stuff... lock me into the Fail Club for the next ten years! It's only Tuesday and I've already received four razors this week! At least three more expected to arrive by Friday! If SWMBO says anything, I'll just glance around the house at all those antiques! And she has plenty more elsewhere!

Last edited: