Soap making

Am I bonkers for even thinking about it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Already tried that, lamb with red wine and cracked pepper. They were amazing.

Turns out you can render the lanolin from wool, you need to boil the wool and lanolin floats off. About 5-25% yield.
And then you have to purify it to get all the crud out of it. Or just go buy a jar of it from the chemist... :rolleyes:

Lard is excellent in soaps. This is what my wife mainly uses for hers.

I don't have access to animal fats but I've found a high percentage of seed butters closes the gap between veggie and tallow soaps.

I use mango, kokum and cocoa butters in my recipe.

I don't have access to animal fats but I've found a high percentage of seed butters closes the gap between veggie and tallow soaps.

I use mango, kokum and cocoa butters in my recipe.
Vegan shitty cheapy recipe, come on, scoop out the extra greasy FAT!!!

Vegan shitty cheapy recipe, come on, scoop out the extra greasy FAT!!!

Well, I've used over 200 shaving soaps so I do consider myself somewhat of an SME.

I went through 4 iterations and the latest one, made up of 50% seed butters, matches the performance of any animal fat soap I've used.

The trick is to get the oleic acid high enough for that "fatty" feel animal fat containing soaps impart.

Veggie soaps with high stearic/palmitic/lauric/myristic will give a good, slick lather. But it won't feel fatty or nourishing on the skin. Nor will the post shave be very good.
This is what I experienced when I made an MdC clone soap. Amazing lather but didn't feel rich and post shave was rubbish!

I keep the oleic acid level around 25-30% in my soap in order to get a rich, creamy, fatty feeling lather.
I don't miss tallow at all!

I just received a Le Male dupe fragrance oil yesterday so I'll be getting Mrs Nanook to knock me up a shaving soap and EDU. Later on she'll make a bath soap for me as well.

When I first smelt the oil it was Le Male like, but not exact. Later on, I could smell it on my hands and it had settled down to a really nice copy so I'm looking forward to it.