Something Hairy

Agree @Mitcon, either way mate. I am happy to pay postage on my winnings :)
You are already donating the hard yakka and taking damage to lathe and body

The lathe was just bad luck, it was a plastic wheel that while 30 odd years old is small and so tuff you could drive your car over it you would think. Just Murphy had it in for me of lathe/ late lol, oh that was bad hahahaha. No idea how or why it busted, just one of those things. I certainly have taken damage to sexy hunk of a mass known as my body, ok that's just wrong...lol... I can however say in all honesty I have shed literal tears, blood, sweat and a great many cuss words in the processing of these things hehehe.

In all honesty it has been a good thing for my mental health if anything and has driven me to try and do something/make things again even if a bit taxing in aspects.

Lr041yC.jpg

Some beautiful brushes here, but this little one is the absolute standout for me. Awesome looking brush, if it goes to auction I can see myself putting a few $ up for a worthy cause.

Well I need a break am knackered, but put off the car and other chores so I could try to finish these off. Now they can sit and set while we all work out when/how to auction best lol.

Sorry for the slightly fuzzy pics, hands are sore but you get the idea of how things look anyways. All pens are 24k gold finish.

I give you "From the ashes" Bushfire collection...

SxbfTYT.jpg

Here's the first set, the double rings represent the Father & Son (Dick & Clayton) who lost their lives on Kangaroo Island in the 2019/2020 Bush fires. 30mm Boar brush knot

OMJow1c.jpg

Then the Dark Horse, 26mm Horse knot

xOIAzOx.jpg

Fire Badger, 24mm pure badger knot

vXa3n06.jpg

And last the Pale Horse 26mm horse knot

Py2rYH6.jpg

Thinking if auction how many days should it run, 1- 2 or 3 ? And maybe will set postage @ $10 or something and if there's any difference I could just cover it ? Should I run all item sets at the same time or each set on it's own 1 after the other?

Would it need to be Aussie bidders only because it's made of wood ? What about how to finish, no bids after a final time point and then auction closes 10 or 20 mins later or leave live till a set time and no further bidding? Never done this sort of thing just just after thoughts, that or try to pick a set base price and just make it a sale with proceeds to charity?

Would prefer it if bids got paid directly to charity and then a pdf or image etc posted showing payment receipt and then item/s get sent off? Thoughts? It's all open to what works best and fairest for people.

It was only a very small fire/area as the local fire trucks got onto it extremely quickly as it was very close to a development of fairly new homes and so it was never a big fire or really out of control. Very lucky for the homes only about 100 odd meters away. It's not way out in the hills or country, most the trees and land were saved due to the efforts of the fire service. You can see a little bit of green sprouting on the ground in the background of a couple images. Most local wildlife around here was unaffected not being close to any of the large fires, saw about 50 Kanga's in the grassed areas couple Koalas in trees and even saw a kestrel and a black shoulder kite which was nice.

P&C I am hosting auctions on behalf of @Mitcon over in BST Forum

Here is your chance to support a good cause(s) and own a functional piece of P&C memorabilia

From the ashes – Bushfire Collection
  • Double Ring (bowl, 30mm boar brush & pen) starting bid $150
  • Dark Horse (26mm horse brush & pen) starting bid $65
  • Fire Badger (24mm badger brush & pen) starting bid $65
  • Pale Horse (26mm horse brush) starting bid $50
Auction Rules:
  • Australian bidders only because of export restrictions on untreated wooden products
  • Auction closes Sunday 1 March 12:00 AEDT unless a bid has been made within the last hour of the auction, in which case the auction time will be extended another hour from the last bid ('Dynamic Closing').
  • Post your bid in this thread – Highest Bidder Wins
  • After confirmation you have won the auction donate the highest bid amount (or more) to the Volunteer Fire Service of your choice or @Mitcon preferred charity Kangaroo Island Wildlife Park https://au.gofundme.com/f/help-save-kangaroo-islands-koalas-and-wildlife that's helping with all the animals.
  • Send the receipt to @Mitcon, pay $10 postage fee and you will receive your prize(s)
Please read Terms and Conditions at https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/2019-auction-format-guidelines.5714/post-149941

Oh just thought something I and the wife found interesting was in the handle for the pale horse, the black bits. She likes them but thought I had added them, but that's what makes it interesting. I didn't, I did cover those bits with a small amount of epoxy to help protect and keep them from falling out. Other than that epoxy was only used in the setting of the knots on all items.

krA8tEa.jpg

The only other finishes is good old wax, (any glues used are food safe natural and outdoor rated waterproof) the timber is sealed with as natural shellac, though like all things to keep shiny will need to be waxed and polished

Fan-bloody-tastic is all I can say!

Thank you all, P&C, the bidders and also a big thanks to Holiday for running the auctions and making things happen.

It all started with just an idea after looking at burnt areas and watching a YouTube video on the Kangaroo Island fires that made me cry, I was going to share the video but didn't because I wasn't sure if it would be ok as it was fairly graphic and gives a very strong emotional response. For those that may be interested the video is called "Kangaroo Island Warning graphic scenes Sound Of Silence" amazing and scary to watch but be warned it's not easy viewing at all.

It's been a challenging & rewarding experience and it feels great doing something good that not only produced these items that folks will hopefully enjoy but also the fact it helps the affected wildlife from the bushfires.

A BIG thank you to all of P&C

Thanks for the video warning @Mitcon just reading your response induces enough emotional response without watching the graphic scenes. Very inspirational of you to do this for a good cause, glad I could help, and get some awesome kit as a result.

Well all the Bushfire collection have all been sent off to their new owners and tracking provided yesterday, so am back to thinking about where to next with my own brushes. I have a couple of synth knots left looking lonely and bored so will do something with them till I get myself some more knots sorted. Still definitely going to still go with one of those big boar as you all had me interested in them and also the horse knots as I'm keen on the idea of them as I've mentioned before.

ngCYVVf.jpg

So where was I, yes that's right I was thinking about one of these bits of wood wasn't I?

gxS2yVu.jpg

Oh seeing as how I'm a little drunk and all healed now I thought I'd share a photo with you, remember I said the burnt tree root had a stone that hit me almost between the eyes? BTW, I no longer wear eye protection lol, I wear whole face protection as in head and face shield. That little stone I said smacked me knocked me out for a couple sec's I think and left me with a reminder scar you can never be careful enough. I now wear full face shield/head protection lol.

UcQKiUk.jpg

Oh seeing as how I'm a little drunk and all healed now I thought I'd share a photo with you, remember I said the burnt tree root had a stone that hit me almost between the eyes? BTW, I no longer wear eye protection lol, I wear whole face protection as in head and face shield. That little stone I said smacked me knocked me out for a couple sec's I think and left me with a reminder scar you can never be careful enough. I now wear full face shield/head protection lol.

UcQKiUk.jpg
5FaeP5b.jpg
... Have a baby pork chop ...
sXasgrh.jpg