Review Squadron Soaps Group Captain's Blend

Nightguard

This is my review for @SchoolForAnts soap, Squadron Soaps Group Captain's Blend. Will follow my usual review layout shamelessly pinched from @silver.

Packaging:
A little bit different from the usual plastic tub is the deep metal tin this soap comes in. It's a little bit narrower than I'd like but still large enough to load from using my brushes. My largest is 24mm and fits with no issues but I suspect anything over 28mm may struggle.

Ingredients:
Listed ingredients are Stearic Acid, Water, Coconut Oil, Tallow, Potassium Hydroxide, Vegetable Glycerin, Lanolin, Fragrance.

Scent:
The scent is listed as an aromatic pipe tobacco blend with hints of Vanilla, Malt, Tobacco leaf and Cedar wood. To my nose it's similar to PAA's Cavendish but with a distinct hint of Chocolate. A very nice scent, probably not best suited to summer.

Latherability:
Using my usual method of loading a damp brush for 10 - 15 seconds before building on either my face or in a bowl resulted in a nice, very useable, slick, cushioning and protective lather. Not especially thirsty but it is a tallow soap so it will take a large amount of water before breaking down. Using @alfredus's preferred 'Merkur Man' method took this soap to a whole new level. Similar to P&B lather.

Performance:
Again, similar to P&B, very slick, no issues with cushioning and is very stable throughout the shave. Plenty of residual slickness for quick touch ups and a very pleasant post shave feel.

Conclusion:
To say I'm impressed with this soap would be putting it mildly. It's without a doubt the best Australian Artisan soap I've tried (Sorry @Anthony). Ticks every box for me, well priced, accessible maker, excellent performance and post shave feel.
Available direct through the Squadron Soap Facebook page or @SchoolForAnts.

Wowee! What a smokin' review @Nightguard

Hmmm.... Might be time to get some more soap...

Last edited by a moderator:
-_ECpy61MhbwWORiqQXhQubCMVutzvxu42yE07qtGU02c_qX577xv6gerbOmm8QdQeKOyK38lBn0xl7YNbiQiGFeSPcFAmdX8mifK91tfqasmUH8B9omdBDknwpqZ56cgJfqjeFTB6OCsx6Xm3m-0pYpTg=w499-h281-nc

"It needs to be at least three times bigger than this!"

Are these hard soaps, soft, croap. I have to be careful as my spitfire turned to a cream in the Townsville humidity. Is this the one that was called Spitfire and has now had the name change?

Are these hard soaps, soft, croap. I have to be careful as my spitfire turned to a cream in the Townsville humidity. Is this the one that was called Spitfire and has now had the name change?

Croap. But fairly firm. I don't believe this is the previously named Spitfire.

Just replied to your PM on my Facebook page @Anthony, but no this isn't the previously named Spitfire which I have going for $14 at the moment.

Happy to refund you the cost of the soap minus postage if it turns into a useless puddle in the TVL humidity, if you wanted to try it.

Last edited:
This is confusing, it was the P&B Spitfire that melted in the humidity. Not the squadron soaps Spitfire. I am keen on buying some of your soaps as well, as i have not had the pleasure of purchasing yet.

This is confusing, it was the P&B Spitfire that melted in the humidity. Not the squadron soaps Spitfire. I am keen on buying some of your soaps as well, as i have not had the pleasure of purchasing yet.
Yep, hence why changing the name of my soap called "Spitfire" into something else. To avoid confusion.

Totally agree. I was blown away by The Warden. This is a great soap at a great price!

The only thing I don't like is the tin because it doesn't screw shut. Won't be good for travel. The soap itself is a new favourite and I can't wait to try Ace.

Last edited:
Great review @Nightguard !
Any issues with a metal tin with oxidation / rust etc in a damp environment? Probably more expensive than a plastic tin for production purposes, but a nice point of difference! Well done @SchoolForAnts

@Snooze Have been making this soap, in these tins for over 12months now, have had no issues with rust as yet.

I went for these tins as they were different from other artisans in Australia, I tested a number of different types, but these ones were the most solid I could find. I wanted them to be resistant to dents during postage and daily use. Will they dent? Yes, if you drop them from a height lol.

Other than being different from others, I wanted to continue with my 1930's/1940's wartime theme, and have a sort of old tobacco tin feel about the containers.

I served 17 years in the Air Force, hence the "Squadron Soap" name and aviation link.

@Snooze Have been making this soap, in these tins for over 12months now, have had no issues with rust as yet.

I went for these tins as they were different from other artisans in Australia, I tested a number of different types, but these ones were the most solid I could find. I wanted them to be resistant to dents during postage and daily use. Will they dent? Yes, if you drop them from a height lol.

Other than being different from others, I wanted to continue with my 1930's/1940's wartime theme, and have a sort of old tobacco tin feel about the containers.
That makes sense @SchoolForAnts - I really like the WWII themed tins - I think you should make a "Churchill" with a scent of brandy and cigars (y)

To be honest I haven't really played with menthol as yet, but I've been asked about it a few times now, so I might look into it.

A P&C GB worth contemplating?