Stocktake - how does yours look?

possumbelly

[No giant lemons here]
I know that checking out, listing and pondering over one’s shave-related items, is a controversial topic, so feel free to ignore this post if you’d rather not think about this issue, or suffer a panic attack.

I’ve never sold any of my shaving gear and doubt that I ever will. I’ve managed to limit my acquisitions to some extent, but am definitely at that point where I’ll need to be careful not to gather too much more. The soap category is definitely the one with the greatest excess. I rarely seem to finish anything (I obviously need to shave more!)

One factor which has helped me justify all this, is the ability to now spread my gear across 4 people (with 3 sons now all 18+). It’s great handing them an item to explore or take over completely. They are easily pleased currently.

As of this morning, I/we have the following “stock”:

24 brushes
(9 boar, 6 badger, 7 synthetic, 1 horse, 1 boar/badger mixed)

(33 razors)
12 modern DE
1 modern SE (Mongoose)
8 vintage DE
8 vintage SE
3 straights
1 shavette

52 soaps, sticks & creams
25 AS lotions
12 AS Balms / Oils
22 Fragrances

Making these lists really helps me decide on what to run with from day to day and week to week.

I’m really looking forward to resurrecting some of the hardware and software over the next few months.

Last edited:
I'm not game enough to do a stocktake as doing so would reveal the extent of my problem. Best not to think about it.
giphy.gif

Current stock consists of:

DE razors x 2
Shavette x 2
DE blades x 18
Traditional straight razors x 26
Brushes x 5
Strops x 6
Shave creams x 5
Soap sticks x 17
Whetstones x 9
Lapping film set x 1
Pasted Balsa strops x 5
Aftershave splash x 1.6 litres

Over the past two years I have given away or sold:

DE razors x 3
Shavettes x 2
DE blades x 25
Traditional straight razors x 24
Brushes x 5
Strops x 14
Shave cream x 3
Soap sticks x 11
Whetstones x 16
Lapping film set x 1
Pasted Balsa strops x nil
Aftershave splash x nil

According to my records, I have spent only a little under $10k on shaving gear over the past two years. I feel quite frugal.

21 brushes (3 x boars, 9 x badgers, 1 x badger/boar, 8 x synths)
as many soaps and razors (slants, adjustable, SB, OC, AC SE)
a dozen or so aftershaves/balms
over 1,000 DE blades (Nacet, Wizamet, Gillette Silver Blue, Yellows, Red & White, Personna Lab Blue, Astra Blue, Bic, Rockwell, assortment of samples)
300 AC blades
several bowls/scuttles

waiting on a SE razor plus extra razor handle and 2 x aftershaves from Blue Devil in the mail.

21 brushes (3 x boars, 9 x badgers, 1 x badger/boar, 8 x synths)
as many soaps and razors (slants, adjustable, SB, OC, AC SE)
a dozen or so aftershaves/balms
over 1,000 DE blades (Nacet, Wizamet, Gillette Silver Blue, Yellows, Red & White, Personna Lab Blue, Astra Blue, Bic, Rockwell, assortment of samples)
300 AC blades
several bowls/scuttles

waiting on a SE razor plus extra razor handle and 2 x aftershaves from Blue Devil in the mail.
Sounds about perfect