Straight for Anniversery

Linden

Evening all

I am a bit of a traditionalist so my wife and I decided to stay with the traditional anniversary present themes. We do think outside the box so far which has been; First = Paper, so that was a ticket for skydiving and an almanac page for the day we were married and just gone was our second = Cotton, this was new Sheridan Sheets and PA Nightie and for me was a hand towel wrapping a straight. I have had it on my "random wants" list for years.

She had to do the research herself and went into a shop to talk. As we live in Wagga we don't have a lot of options. So while on holidays she went into a shaver shop in Brissy. She walked out with the full kit and gave me the straight for anniversary and the rest for Christmas a couple of days later.

So far I love it, even did my first shave before work today (Army so have to shave every day). Will send away to be honed properly before I get setup for that myself as well. I am getting the feeling that @Mark is the Zen master for this :)

This was from my shave this morning.

http://www.lindenbleijie.com.au/p921423822

No THAT is an impressive first post!

Straight into straights!

Welcome mate, although it seems you have been 'around' for a while?

Well, you certainly got lucky when you found that woman! Is she venturing into wet shaving also?

Well, you certainly got lucky when you found that woman! Is she venturing into wet shaving also?
Thanks for the welcome guys. And yes my wife is a champion and I'm a lucky guy....although both anniversary gifts could kill me (skydiving, cut throat) so there could be an ulterior motive. Haha. Leahs version of wet shaving is sitting in the bottom of the shower with a Mach 3 and water hotter than the sun pouring over her.

I went straight to straights mostly for cost saving rather than another setup for the DE route. And I had no illusions about the difficulty or learning curve. I have always maintained my own knives etc. So I knew about the importance of angles, I just apply the same principals to my face. Lots of youtube, forum stalking and rembering what my barbers have done in the past.

I am up to 7 shaves now and am not nearly as scared, but still very respectful as I think that complacency will hurt.....

I went straight to straights mostly for cost saving

I did the same myself a bit over 18 months ago. Although I don't regret making that choice (mastering a straight is so good), I wish I had found this site earlier for the information/learning I could have gained. I warn you though, saving money by owning ONE razor that will last me for life is the thing dreams are made of. I have 4 x straights, 1 x kamisori, 1 x DE, my wife owns a DE, I have given away 3 x DE's and a straight, purchased a 'lation a shaving kit, purchased soaps and brushes ... ... ... come to think of it ... ... ... run now while you can.

So hurtful! lol -

A few of us have more tufts of fluff than others ;-)

I wondered if any fly-boy types would come out of the woodwork!

More Army folk here in CBR for me to be worried about :)

Do I need to say anything more @Linden and @SchoolForAnts -

first-principles.jpg

Welcome and hope you enjoy the journey!

I am up to 7 shaves now and am not nearly as scared, but still very respectful as I think that complacency will hurt.....

Welcome @Linden - you're on the money with that comment mate : the fear will disappear completely after a few weeks, but maintain that healthy respect and all will be good. @Mark is definitely the sensei of matters sharpening here. That's another brilliant adventure waiting for you if you're interested - getting into Japanese waterstones and learning how to maintain your own razors. A lot of satisfaction to be had, and with a little good advice the buy-in isn't too expensive at all.

Enjoy your time here mate, and don't be shy about asking for a bit of advice :)

Welcome to the insanity.
Hope your stay is long and mutually fruitful :)
Nothing wrong with a bit of shenannigans either.