Straight razor journey

J.Mac

2018 Sabbatical Fail
My straight razor arrived from @Mark so i decided to jump straight and in have a crack. I worked up a lather of some description and applied. After a few small strokes of the razor i think i found an angle that seemed to work and stuck with that and completed my right cheek WTG.

It may have been due to a poor a lather or incorrect angle (or both) but it was a harsher shave than i was expecting. The blade wasn't really gliding and i resorted to small strokes. I tried adding more/less water to the soap but neither seemed to work. It was fairly noisy too.

Undeterred i switched hands and moved to the left side. After a few seconds of uncoordination i mimmicked what i did in the right side without too much trouble. By this time even tho i knew i was probably making a few mistakes the lack of blood gave me confidence and inspired me to complete the rest of my face. My neck was a bit sensitive (as usual) but wasn't as tricky as i expected. The parts i struggled with were the bottom of my chin under the neck and the moustache. My nose seemed to get in the way and prevent me using the angles i wanted.

I didn't attempt ATG but all in all my first shave was somewhat of a success. Some parts of my face and neck are a bit red and irritated but nothing concerning.

Some questions i have, which may or may not be simple responses are;
- what would be stopping the blade from gliding and catching a little bit? (also noisy)
- do you rinse the straight razor under the tap or fill the bowl with water?
- do you need to use your left hand for the left side of the face?
- what do you guys attach your strops to?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Some questions i have, which may or may not be simple responses are;
- what would be stopping the blade from gliding and catching a little bit? (also noisy)

Any feedback would be appreciated!

- I find that a straight razor needs more pressure than an SE or DE to get the job done.
- Under the tap.
- I can but due to using kamisoris a lot, I've gotten in the habit of just using my right hand.
- I use a bench strop.

I would suggest that your angle may be a little high - try dropping the spine a poofteenth.
I have the sink full of hot water - from the tap - filled before my shower.
Whatever is comfortable and gets the job done is the 'right' way - I'm totally unco with the left hand but I have managed to get it right but some days I just can't so I use the right hand for it all.
I have attached a couple of hooks onto the wall near my sink, however, a convenient doorknob or towel rail would work (that's what I use when travelling.

I would also suggest that you ensure that a firm comfortable grip is maintained. When I have had issues like you are describing, it is often because I have gotten lazy with my grip, and it allows the blade to bounce ever so slightly. This leads to it's own bloody issues sometimes.

I also rinse under the tap. If the soap is thicker, hotter water helps to clear it quickly (for me). I do heat the soap tub in a sink of hot water, and I let the badger soak for the time I am in the shower.

Yes, I use left hand now, but I didn't when I started. After a while, I started doing it in one-inch strokes, WTG only. Now I'm all over the place!

I have an antique hand-made paddle strop, for the canvas part. I'm not a fan of the piece of leather that is on the other side, so I went to an outlet store and bought a wide, cheap leather belt. I make a loop with the buckle, and use my foot to keep it taught, while I gently do my finishing passes (while watching TV, usually). The blade has never been so wonderful to shave with. Very little pressure cuts right through 6-day growth, like it is 5 o'clock shadow.

My first SR shave felt a lot like you describe. I was expecting a smooth swish but got a rough experience. Stretching is so very important with a straight. A half reasonable tip for rinsing your blade: Ensure the soap is wet enough that a lightly running tap rinses the lather straight off. If it sticks to the blade it is probably too dry.
You did really well with your new blade to do the whole face.

Get lather and angles right:

Cutting_angles.jpg

- do you rinse the straight razor under the tap or fill the bowl with water?!
under tap - but watch that spout. Nothing except face, strop (and right stones) touch the edge!
Sometimes I use a rubber bowl
Straight_Razor_Rubber_Drip_Bowl_1_3515966392675387139.jpg

Be ambidextrous - an absolute must for anything but a kamisori

I have a few hanging strops around the place. One in the kitchen for knives and straights (on a screw hook). Another on my work desk (on a screw hook) where all my shave-ready straights wait. Another in my 'hone room' (hooked to the strut of my 'stone shelf'); where I have all my stones and associated kit set up on a work bench out in the shed.

Neither.
I thought water and str8's don't mix and so I take a different route to all above. I wipe the blade carefully with either toilet paper or a cloth/towel. It means you don't get water near the blade. Less to clean. You don't risk chipping the blade on a tap or sink. (And that's probably the #1 way a str8 is damaged!)

I'd be keen to hear from @Mark on this one. @Dale.Whiley as well.:
Q: Do you wipe or wash your blade?

Why is being ambidextrous a must?
It's slower or trickier at the start, but makes it easier in the long run. I wouldn't absolute it but it's a good skill to have for a str8 shaver. Start from the beginning is my tip.

I had my second shave tonight. I focused more on prep by washing my face with a hot towel and face lathering as opposed to a bowl. This made a huge different. Some parts of my face were still a bit rough but it was a noticeable improvement on my first attempt. The mo area was still a bit awkward. I havnt quite worked out how to do that without my nose getting in the way.

I think i am on the right track however.

If you look at the Straight Razor Place wiki there are many beginners tips and videos for straight shaving.

Probably lots on youtube too.

I use paper towel to wipe the blade clean.

I had my second shave tonight. I focused more on prep by washing my face with a hot towel and face lathering as opposed to a bowl. This made a huge different.
I think i am on the right track however.
Yes, you seem to be.
Prep is key to a great shave IMO.
Keep going. Sounds like you're doing great!

I would suggest that your angle may be a little high - try dropping the spine a poofteenth.
Agree.
Be ambidextrous - an absolute must for anything but a kamisori
Definitely be ambidextrous using a straight.
Q: Do you wipe or wash your blade?
I rinse my straights in the sink/basin but ensure I wipe them dry after each use and store them on the window ledge. Townsville's warmth dries very well.

I'm picking up an acute paranoia of water. I agree water left on your carbon blade for an extended period isn't a good thing. However, now that I'm honing I understand how much water you use in creation of that edge. It's an essential element. There's no shying away from water, but simply a vigilance in making sure the blade and scales are dry. Same principle with shaving. Use water as liberally as you want, just be sure to remove it (preferably) pre-strop. It's not that hard - only the scales at the pivot pin can be a little painful.

So it should be less a fear of water and simply an aversion to the ardour of drying.

So it should be less a fear of water and simply an aversion to the ardour of drying.
Not fear, just avoidance. You don't need water for taking away the leftovers on the blade- a rag or towels are enough. It's what was always done in the past. Even barbers today do the same thing. It's simpler and avoids the pitfalls that come with sinks, taps and chipped edges.

I'm not being regimental about it; I'm just wondering why the desire for water to rinse. I can understand that it's simple to rinse under water; but it's a waste. And I understand the basin to save water; but the urge to flick the excess water means the high risk of hitting something. You've opted for the plastic bowl but that seems to me a bit full on - so why not simply wipe?

But it comes down to preference right? Bidet or paper? Wash or wipe? [emoji6]

Not fear, just avoidance. You don't need water for taking away the leftovers on the blade- a rag or towels are enough. It's what was always done in the past. Even barbers today do the same thing. It's simpler and avoids the pitfalls that come with sinks, taps and chipped edges.

I'm not being regimental about it; I'm just wondering why the desire for water to rinse. I can understand that it's simple to rinse under water; but it's a waste. And I understand the basin to save water; but the urge to flick the excess water means the high risk of hitting something. You've opted for the plastic bowl but that seems to me a bit full on - so why not simply wipe?

But it comes down to preference right? Bidet or paper? Wash or wipe? [emoji6]

I bought the rubber tub but don't use it.

I rinse under hot water every time. Keeps my blade warm and helps me judge that the lather is right... ;)